Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Man's best friend?
Cat
Dog
Why not both?
Bird
View Results

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sure, but then it escalates with the eyes like it's meant to be something even greater than that and... just doesn't go anywhere. And kills your UV light for good measure as though to say "We're done with Zurks, moving on, new story".

I think the (after sewers spoilers) eyes are there just to be spooky and look gross. And serve as a sort of denouement to the sewers. Maybe the devs wanted to make a more traditional boss stage at one time, but instead that's what we got. There is a throwaway line about it being one giant organism (that's obviously controlling the Zurks). Maybe things got scrapped. Who knows. At the end that's not the main mystery of the game/city.

Edit:

Whoops. Missed you posting that already.

itry fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Config files to boost the graphics. Haven't tried them myself yet, but the screenshots look amazing.

https://www.nexusmods.com/stray/mods/34

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finished the game, here is my careful and reasoned consideration re: the cat as a playable character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GIyTFl4Cb4&t=2s

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I want a toy B12 to sit on my desk

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sure, but then it escalates with the eyes like it's meant to be something even greater than that and... just doesn't go anywhere. And kills your UV light for good measure as though to say "We're done with Zurks, moving on, new story".

the eyes in the wall were so loving creepy, even though the robots later on were more dangerous they were a real step down in terms of atmosphere compared to that

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

the eyes in the wall were so loving creepy, even though the robots later on were more dangerous they were a real step down in terms of atmosphere compared to that

They really were. interesting thing about that is only the Zurks and Zurk "skin" the sun touched got fried. The sewer..variant? main mass? I dont know but it could still be an issue if they continue things.

I hope they do in one way or another. I can't overstate how much I just want more of this game. Looked at my playtime my first time though and I clocked 10 hours, I loved the hell out of this.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 22, 2022

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

The cat is such a great "chaotic good" video game protagonist. A complete agent of destruction who also goes out of their way to help every single person (well, every robot) they encounter.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cavauro posted:

i think when this game was first shown off it was really basic and maybe didn't have a name yet too? But anyway there weren't any robot things or anything like that so I assumed you were controlling a stray cat in the real world and that idea kind of interests me more than the robot world full of puzzles and stuff. Like not necessarily a standard survival game like all the other open world games but a game about trying to survive nonetheless. but what it ended up being is still cool. i will play the cat game.

Maybe this is more like what you imagined? Gameplay-wise, anyway.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i haven't played stray yet but i'm also looking forward to "Little Kitty, Big City" which looks like a cat version of goose game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB6eEYtfVsw

Edit:

SplitSoul posted:

All we had to do was cross the rusty pipe, CJ.

Nightmarish

itry fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 22, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

NMS this poo poo :catstare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got the I Am Speed achievement! I ran my own timer and it said I finished with 1 minute and 20 seconds to spare, but the save file listed it as 1:51:41 so it wasn't as desperately tight on time as I thought it would be. I gotta say, speeding through it you miss SOOOOO much of the atmosphere of the game, my full "do everything" playthrough was something like 8.5 hours and it is kind of crazy just how fast you can get through a seemingly giant level like Midtown when you know exactly where to go and when.

Game good, cat good, I'm so glad I played this.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/memesiwish/status/1550763801137426432?t=Sv1WvbnVizx00ePg8B2dvw&s=19

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This was a little unnerving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lgtNSgn98

Also I just realized if you continuously hold down X you'll automatically take jumps as you encounter them. Makes tearing around the world fun if a bit chaotic when you take a jump you didn't expect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McCracAttack posted:

This was a little unnerving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lgtNSgn98

Also I just realized if you continuously hold down X you'll automatically take jumps as you encounter them. Makes tearing around the world fun if a bit chaotic when you take a jump you didn't expect.

The game actually tells you that at the start in the tutorial. :v:

It is very easy to forget though, given how often you're picking your next destination jump-by-jump in the open-map chapters.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The game actually tells you that at the start in the tutorial. :v:

It is very easy to forget though, given how often you're picking your next destination jump-by-jump in the open-map chapters.

Yeah but it tells you that as you're jumping over three pipes that are spaced evenly apart. I took that to mean you could only do it in certain designated spots and not just all over all the time.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lol how does this stuff keep happening to me?

Mild spoilers for an energy drink location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTBH7pFqyw

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Two terrible mods incoming

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRSrnstw/?k=1

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
endgame question: can you switch away from the iridescent harness you get as a prize for collecting all memories? really preferred the original

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm not aware of any in-game way to do that (besides starting a new game, obv).

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Ending question: Why would opening the roof deactivate the Sentinels?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Drinkslinger posted:

Good question! Nothing in the game about that as far as I know.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Drinkslinger posted:

I assumed that happened because you ended the lock-down/alarm state the city was in and that's what put them on patrol in the first place.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Another ending question: Where are my cat friends? Did I do something wrong and now they don't show up at the end? That was the whole motivation behind the adventure!

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

ajkalan posted:

Another ending question: Where are my cat friends? Did I do something wrong and now they don't show up at the end? That was the whole motivation behind the adventure!

I think the ending was good but could have been better with the robots leaving the city, seeing the outside world.. and you getting back to the cat family. It seems implied that "everything is ok" but I'd rather have just been shown.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

McCracAttack posted:

I assumed that happened because you ended the lock-down/alarm state the city was in and that's what put them on patrol in the first place.
Same, but surely they'd fly off back to wherever they came from, rather than just dropping dead like that

Also, the sunlight killing the Zurks implies that Doc's purple beam was really just a high-powered UV flashlight.

Deathslinger fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 24, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I dunno, probably because that was the quickest way to communicate "these aren't a problem anymore" in half a second. There's tons of stuff you could nit-pick about this game's story (that's sci-fi for you) but I think you're just supposed to enjoy the vibes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thinking about starting a new game just so I can go back to the slums and hang out in everyone's little apartments. Wanna go nap in the bookworm apartment with the dead guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Drinkslinger posted:

Same, but surely they'd fly off back to wherever they came from, rather than just dropping dead like that

Also, the sunlight killing the Zurks implies that Doc's purple beam was really just a high-powered UV flashlight.

makes sense, they're giant mutant bacteria so they're basically sterilized to death

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

Thinking about starting a new game just so I can go back to the slums and hang out in everyone's little apartments. Wanna go nap in the bookworm apartment with the dead guy.

I loved finding all the little nap spots for the little guy, the nicest for me being the aforementioned bookworm apartment and Clementine’s cool bookshelf zen spot.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

McCracAttack posted:

You probably already know this, but you can replay any previously completed chapter from the main menu. Just thought I'd remind you (and everyone else) about that before anyone deletes a save.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Game good, made it to Midtown which I assume is close to the end of the journey because the memory bar only has about four spots left.

I didn't even think about taking screenshots until getting to the second village, and then that's about all I did for the next half hour. They make every sleeping spot look so nice and cozy, real desktop wallpaper mega pack stuff going on there

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I loved finding all the little nap spots for the little guy, the nicest for me being the aforementioned bookworm apartment and Clementine’s cool bookshelf zen spot.

Best vibes for a nap spot?
  • Doc's bookworm apartment.
  • Swanito "star" gazing on the roofs.
  • Clementine's bohemian pad.
  • Next to Morusque playing guitar in the streets

Drinkslinger posted:

You probably already know this, but you can replay any previously completed chapter from the main menu. Just thought I'd remind you (and everyone else) about that before anyone deletes a save.

I actually didn't know that but it's obvious now that you pointed it out. Thanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Best vibes for a nap spot?

Clementine's bohemian pad for sure, but let's not discount sleeping on Robo-Cowboy's belly while he's chilling on the couch :shobon:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

ajkalan posted:

This legit bummed me out so much. I don't know why they didn't even show a quick post-credits shot of all the cats together, but it definitely left a bit of a sad/sour note for a game I'd otherwise had a good time with

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Clementine's bohemian pad for sure, but let's not discount sleeping on Robo-Cowboy's belly while he's chilling on the couch :shobon:

:hai:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ElTacoGato posted:

This legit bummed me out so much. I don't know why they didn't even show a quick post-credits shot of all the cats together, but it definitely left a bit of a sad/sour note for a game I'd otherwise had a good time with

Leaving a ton of other unanswered questions, ditching the zurk, etc. makes total sense because ultimately the cat gives no poo poo about those things. It’s a cat and does not care about the city. Not giving any closure to the cats reuniting felt bad and unfinished. I had fun with the game but the lack of a reunion makes me like the game less in retrospect. It’s pretty similar to my feelings about Returnal. The ending made of that game made me really dislike everything else and not replay it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ElTacoGato posted:

hey gotta get a sequel somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I was playing the game and the cat converted to Islam???