Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ricepowah
May 3, 2008
If you no not post really well, your no not believin' may one day lead you to Delta Sqad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricepowah
May 3, 2008
Delta After Dark, a highlight post

In the fall of 2020, after the so-called "Horn of Goondor" was sounded to SA, about half dozen retvets (returning veterans) re-formed a group called Delta Sqad. I myself was actually a former leader of Sigma Squad but for miraculous reasons that Squad still existed only as a social thing so I decided to join the more charming group of OG Deltas. None of us had played in over 10 years and most remember EVE from the early days of Goonfleet[OHGOD] and one foe called BOB and lots of spreadsheets.

Our collective consensus, upon return was that Goonswarm or Imperium or whatever it called itself was far from as advertised. There were things like paps (no paps no masters) and everyone was still using the word pubbie unironically, most without even knowing what it meant; I'm still puzzled why people would even still use this term like it's cool but that may have been the greatest troll ever now that I think about it. We've gone to a few fleet operations and tried to understand how this new alliance culture worked but soon found that it was lacking of some fundamentals needed for Eve to be a fun game.

As the pioneers of No not posting and No not believin', we set out to first energize ourselves, espirit du corp and even the impossible task of repelling the new foes who were called papi (all lower case now). One of the first things this small band of good posters did was to try and re-start the original Alphabet squad program; this was met by the directorate with a solid, resouding, "LMAO get out". Well, since we did pay for this game time, we thought we might set ourselves out for some place where we can bring our positive, playful and goony energy and we found it in the form of W6V- Keepstar. Here, with the help of a retirement savings that I had largely forgotten about (having bought millions of units of R64's back in 2010 and just, well left it there to rot), Delta Sqad began its new adventures by parking ourselves in front of a hostile keepstar in P-Z system. Our objective was one: to kill cynos. Cyno ships, can't run (goons can't tackle) and generally don't shoot back (since it's for logistics only) they were our perfect foes to hone our incredible skills at this game; we even got paid ISK by the alliance to boot!

The very first cyno kill we attempted was at a falcon. It failed. There were 4 of us in rifters (why would goons fly other ships?) and some random t1 junk... and we didn't know that the cyno ship, if it was not warp scrammed can tether back after the cyno expires. The pilot probably didn't even know we were there since it kept sitting there. Score 1 for the bad guys, we'll get you next time.

This first event started a chain of events that, many will think it unlikely. Delta Sqad began to problem solve, we began to learn how basically every part of combat worked. To describe our accomplishments would be so numerous that I think it's best I simply state the highlights and later fill it with more good posting.

Delta perfected the cyno ganking of P-Z cyno ships to a point where Brave, the alliance that was residing here left 24x7 coverage of protection ships and gunners. The ensuing fights were hilarious to say the least and no one would believe us that we still walked away isk positive thanks to cyno bounties and insurance.

Delta (which membership grew to about 12) was largely responsible for keeping Brave from being able to settle in Querious. Ihubs were frequently contested and destroyed. Structures stopped and moon mining operations harassed.

In the following problem-solving efforts, Delta Sqad learns what Sax means. Most of Delta Sqad already preferred using artillery-based ships like Hurricanes so this new doctrine was embraced from the beginning and would later go on to shape the outcome of the war. This was also the point in time where Delta would go mainstream and the alliance finally gave in and provided a real "Squad" status to Delta along with ability to recruit members. Delta's recruitment practice and its results really deserves its own post so I will leave it at that.

After evacuating to Delve from Querious, Delta Sqad membership would grow to 30-40 pilots in fleet. Its sniping Tornados were so impactful during the defensive ops in "Helms Deep" that former alliance leader would go on to make alliance-wide programs to mimic Delta's success in terms of building small and highly effective teams. If only they actually asked the people that made said highly effective team this program might have succeeded.

Delve defensive and its successes are filled with Delta Sqad fingerprints. The Sax Fleet would force papi to change doctrines number of times and depend heavily on less effective Eagles/Retris than Muninn/Cerb. Any time Delta was controlling the objective, papi would struggle to solve the menace that was Tornados flown by Delta Sqad

It was Delta Sqad that would be the first to guard 3-D and later whole constellation and keep forcing papi to withdraw with its perfect execution of Sax Fleet. Whether it was jammers, ihub or a whole constellation being attacked, Sax Fleet would show up and save the evening and sometimes while mainfleet watched from tether (snickers).

It was Delta Sqad that would throw thousands of Trashers (horribly fit artillery Thrashers) into T5Z gate to great laughter, fun and effectiveness in both morale and war objectives. Much appreciation goes to the SRP director who maintained a 10m ISK payout for every poo poo-fit Thrasher and allowing a working goon to make 5m every death.

It was Delta Sqad that would bridge the same Trashers through to AJI- bait beacon to both shoot the bubbles around beacon and laugh at the occasional friendly capital that took it.

It was Delta Sqad that would cloak camp all of Helms Deep with fully-SRP-compliant shield-tanked-rapid-light-missile-Legion, lowering the ADM and later make papi upset trying to stop 25+ hackers that were menacing the region night after night. Yes we know that Legion fit was awful, but that's what makes it funnier!

It was Delta Sqad that would roam in one-way Drakes of all things in Delve. These speed demons killed jump bridge after jump bridge and forced papi fleets 2x, 3x its size to re-ship to HACS just to deal with them.

It was Delta Sqad that used the strangest rail-Tengu like it was Sax. Shooting Retributions and innovating the Sax ways.

It was Delta Sqad that later retook the W6V ihub, concluding the return to its new ancestral homeland and cementing a new legacy.

The one year spent in game was very memorable for everyone. One might think that this couldn't be done by a small group but Delta never grew past 200 members even during its peak in 3-D/1DQ defense. Fleet numbers were also very stable around 50-60 as well and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the Saxual evenings every time we had them.

For those left wanting more, this is only a glimmer of events as Delta Sqad plans to continue to channel no not posting and no not believing through many more Delta After Dark posts in the new posting grounds of r/eve. You can look forward to it, and as you can read from highlights, there's so much to unpack. For now this last line pretty much sums up Delta Sqad's legacy.

Delta Sqad won a shooting war for the Imperium, then
Delta Sqad won a posting war for human values

:skink:

ricepowah
May 3, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

Selling 2 titans, a super, a dozen caps, and evaccing 15 or so jump freighters only took 4 or 5 days for me.

I hadn't decided if I was quitting eve or just GSF for a while but either way I wasn't gonna let my stuff rot.

I'm in of sound mind now and they're a total 180 in a lotta ways. It's very weird.

Thank you for your service