Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cenodoxus posted:

It might be helpful to include an overview of the different account types for old and new players, since that was another semi-recent change.

In typical "the first hit is always free" fashion, EVE now has two tiers of accounts:

Alpha - The free tier
  • Limited selection of ships, modules, and skills, but plenty of opportunities to cause mayhem
  • You gain skill points at a slower rate and can only train skills up to a certain level
  • Although you are not limited on how many accounts you can have, you can only be signed in on one Alpha account at a time

Omega - The paid tier
  • Faster skill training
  • No restrictions on ships, modules, and skills
  • You're able - and sometimes incentivized depending on play style - to run multiple Omega accounts at once

A good number of players do pay for Omega entirely in-game through income-generating activities like ratting, salvaging, industrial production, and even scamming other players.

CCP recently upped the Omega monthly subscription from $15 to $20, though they frequently run specials with steep discounts for longer subscription periods or multi-account discounts.

Accounts can go back and forth between Alpha and Omega status without penalty. Any Omega skills, ships, and modules you possess on your characters are simply locked out until you resubscribe.

Jesus this garbage game is $20/account/mo now?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

He should already be banned by adj or merk or literally anyone with power, there's no excuse not to. gently caress "stability" its a dumb spaceship alliance that has weathered plenty of incredibly stupid poo poo before and it'll be fine or it won't, who fuckin cares. Anyone unwilling to ban him right now is either on his side or has their personal identity tied way too close to goonfleetswarm as an entity and is personally afraid.

Most fun I ever had with evegoons was when we were living in a loving soda factory, stability is overrated.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Anyone got that image of Issabella having a real one to post? I couldn't find it in the old thread.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm afraid I'm too stupid and lazy to live in a wormhole.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i just remembered that i never actually played the goose game

It's a fun way to spend an afternoon.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Not to defend Imperium dudes but...how? Same with the people who complain the directorate won't make heads roll. What concrete action do you think a director can take here, go round Mittani's house with a baseball bat? This isnt real life. There isn't actually a way of doing a Death of Stalin style housecleaning.

Nobody's suggesting going to anyone's house or anything like that, but here's a list of things that would go a long way, obviously not all of them can be done by random member corps but:

- Kick the people who were calling this 'amber heard drama' etc.
- Kick people who are publicly misogynistic/racist/homophobic/transphobic/profess unhinged maga poo poo.
- Kick the dipshits still defending mittens lmao
- Kick the people doing the cringey cultposting
- Actually kick and ban mittens from coalition services.
- Reverse the bans/blacklists on the deltas and the others who brought this to public attention/resigned over it to force action.
- Rebrand decisively away from The Imperium. gently caress if I care what the new thing is (please nothing cringey grimdark), but that entire name and brand belongs to mittens and it needs to go in the trash with him. If he wants to keep running INN and His Regards LLC or whatever that's his business but there's no reason anyone else should keep that branding.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

WorkerThread posted:

i was a gifted kid too, op

we all were, that's why we play this dumb spaceship game for nerds.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ablative posted:

So the OP's kind of vague, what all exactly is locked behind a subscription in terms of skills and all? Or, if it's the shorter answer, what isn't?

Consider an 'alpha' account as a sort of an extended trial. You can dip your toes into things and do newbie-type stuff but any further than that is locked, you won't be able to undock in any ship that requires omega-locked skills, you won't be able to use any omega-locked modules, there's extra fees and limitations on industry stuff (in addition to the locked skills), you train slower and there's some other limitations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

bad posts? we don't need more, we have yours.

now there's a snipe for the ages

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

shutupandshave posted:

OORrrrrr, and hear me out here. Just keep them there, all in one place so we all know where to avoid?

If only The Imperium were the one place in eve online with bigots and creeps.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh hey I just noticed alphas are no longer limited to only being able to queue a couple days of skills at a time. That was really loving annoying and I'm glad they got rid of that.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, as much as mittens is a huge jerk, "let's not use this person's victimization as a cheap bludgeon for space politics" is a reasonable position and doesn't necessarily imply condoning the person who did the victimizing.

Obviously everyone's different and their reactions are different but my own personal journey with something similar (not eve or goon related), I prefer that because my situation never really became common knowledge within the community it was something I had the power to disclose as much or as little of as I want, to who I want, when I want rather than something that's constantly brought up by others whenever they think it's convenient or relevant.. Of course I have to balance that with my own nagging thoughts about what if there were other victims but, you know, you win some you lose some. :shrug:

That said gently caress BFM, and double-gently caress him for apparently pulling some "well actually she was lying all along guys" change of tune poo poo years down the road.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Even for 'good causes' there's some fuckin people around here really struggling with the concept of boundaries, I guess.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SA has in fact changed drastically in everything but web design aesthetics, which tells you literally everything you need to know about anything claiming a refusal to change.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It was definitely still unironic through the 90s but I think the equivalent of it now is fake stick-on rocks/tiles/shiplap

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

what people picked wallpaper over that dry sponge bullshit?

I lived in a place where the prior owner did both, an absolutely crap dry sponge job and an absolutely crap wallpaper border.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Honestly I kinda miss the stupid space living room.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mekchu posted:

What is this in reference to? The EVE Fanfest panel where he encourage a player to commit suicide/be bullied to the point they commit suicide?

Hahaha no this incident resulted in no disgrace or departure whatsoever, a few people called mittens a big loving dumb idiot in Elysium, he got banned from the game itself for a few months but he already was quite proud of running the show without ever needing to log in, literally nothing came of it except a bunch of redditors saying that he was a bad person for encouraging someone to kill themselves and therefore should kill himself and that is about it.

Edit: he also had to resign from csm because of it and was banned from running again or something, and IIRC this was what prompted the whole "let's weaponize Xenuria by sending him to the csm to show our disdain" thing so really the most meaningful consequence was domino-meme levels of unintended consequences.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 21, 2022

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Just endlessly doubling down on "the problem was making this public".

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Remember when there was a Vacationers role that could post in all but the sensitive and space-current-events-relevant forums?

The 180⁰ shift in who is considered 'allowed' to participate in conversational posting, from "hasn't logged in to eve in months but is still engaged with the community" to "haven't been in corp for two days? gently caress you and your opinion" demonstrates the shift in purpose of the organization, away from being chill bros who post and play games and sometimes that game is eve, toward being an organization that exists for the sole purpose of maintaining hegemony in bad internet spaceship game eve online.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Was that the t20 thing? Or something else?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Vanadium posted:

Hey could people who screenshot goonfleet dot com forums content please make their browser window a bit narrower, it's a pain to read on a phone if I have to scroll sideways all the time, ty

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't underestimate the power of turf. People LOVE having and owning space. It's difficult to see if you've disabused yourself of the concept, but most people absolutely love having somewhere of their own.

Not just any turf, but really good turf! Where all of the inconvenient aspects of holding and supplying and managing and living in it are handled by Somebody Else, as if by magic.

And not just belonging to a tribe, but the best and strongest tribe.

All the warm bodies wailing and gnashing their teeth about ~oh no our glorious leader~ is very funny because his presence or absence has no inherent impact on their actual day-to-day spacelives or what they value in the organization, but they've allowed themselves to be convinced that he's a key and integral figure, and also that any attack on his behavior is actually an attack on their tribe (and by proxy, them personally) from ~outsiders~.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

whatever happened to that insane kid who registered like 15 accounts trying to get into gsf

i assume he eventually was made a director or something?

Prencleeve Grothsmore or whatever? Hell if I know.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I suspect the intent of contacting the family was more "hey did you know your kid is spending hundreds of dollars on begging for the attention of random strangers who are not very nice, and maybe also talk to him about being safe online" than threats/harassment but after the last thread I wouldn't put anything past anyone at this point.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

Untainted my rear end, half of Boise/Meridian/Eagle is Californians. CDL still has a serious Nazi problem, the legislature's actively de-funding the school system, and if your politics are anywhere to the left of Q adjacent you're not gonna have a great time.

Beautiful state though, highly recommend visiting

Also god help you if you're any flavor of non-white, queer, gender nonconforming, or uterused. CDL and North Idaho in general is the fuckin worst of both worlds, as it's where the fuckin goddamn nazi californians are moving to.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Free Deadtear

to a good home. Partially housetrained. Bites.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

To be fair, that was for the pubbies. I don't remember (TrueTM) goons ever being required to click paps.

And according to the recent fireside is now going to be rolled out to GEWNS as well, along with ending further SA-based recruitment to focus on EVE-based recruitment.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I personally don't feel there's anything to be gained by running off the GSF people still posting in this thread as long as they're not posting full on harassment/pedo defenses, but I do find myself wondering why they're making the effort when so far the messaging from above has been pretty plain that the coalition no longer views the entire SA forum community as worth having a corp even notionally affiliated with (like MRCHI and the PA forums).

And it is somewhat concerning where the lines have been drawn on what is and is not acceptable in the name of warm bodies in fleet.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hurf a big ole blurf for us, for old times' sake

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Same. What finally did it for me were the leaks showing the language used to describe one of ~our space tribe~ who was being abused.

I think that was the breaking point for a lot of people ITT, and importantly it's something that we have the receipts for.

ALL the other 'rear end in a top hat mittens' stuff is icing on the cake, demonstrating that it's not a one off event but rather a consistent pattern of behavior.

So it boils down to people who are okay with that behavior, and people who aren't.

So far all the language about mittens' departure, from the man himself and from TheAdj and others still 'in', has been focused much more on the negative publicity and the drama and not wanting to deal with the accusations, which strongly implies that those making those statements don't actually have any problem with that behavior.

And the anger from those who are now 'out' because they were not okay with that behavior isn't performative wokeness or sour grapes or ancient bitterness or whatever, it's because they value the connection to the ~space tribe~ and are left feeling horrified and betrayed by what was being done by and concealed by the people entrusted to lead it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Anyway I downloaded toilet eve to see what it's all about.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Our understanding was that we were cultural outsiders to the game who deliberately antagonized the natives, though that was more to do with highsec carebears and the E-Bushido types, and even then only really at the level of random line-members interacting. Politically we staked our identity on keeping our promises and respecting our commitments to their allies, even if we talked poo poo about their posting.

And now the culture of 2008 Goonswarm is baaaasically the culture of all of EVE Online. The posting isn't funny yet and there's a decent helping of redditness involved too but that e-bushido poo poo is dead, and even the elite peeveepee stuff is kinda gone.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

not to be that guy, but CCP is nerfing ganking under the guise of stopping harassment:

1) Ganking something, with the intent of getting a reaction (see: Not whether or not YOU DO IT with the intent, rather if CCP THINKS THIS IS THE REASON YOU'RE DOING IT. This is problematic because CCP doesn't consider 'for the challenge' or 'for fun' as valid reasons.)
2) Persistent ganking of individuals. (I guess if you don't like someone you can't keep killing them, why should they be allowed to mine in a system I want to control simply because they've died enough times? Also how many is persistent?)
3) Ganking streamers without a valid reason. (See: 'for fun' and 'i don't like this guy' as not valid reasons.)
4) Ganking without 'any tangible gain'. You can't gank people unless you profit. Never mind playing for fun or to scam them later, but infamy and being the bad guy never mattered?

One step further, CCP are calling harassment and griefing the same thing, there is no difference between the two in action taken.

Just adding onto it, this is confirmed via PERSONAL EMAILS by GM IceCream. This is not public policy, this is people getting emails to 'stop doing this'. When I asked GM IceCream if I could post the logs (since posting GM correspondence is against the EULA) he told me to gently caress off.

Why does this feel like a comically late reaction to wizardhatgate?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The goose stuff has me sorely tempted to asset safety my poo poo out of delve and actually play for a little while. Some drat fine propagander you got there.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

RazNation posted:

I'm confused.

that much is clear

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's some claims in the comments that it was fake but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

it's not like I was there so I can't say conclusively one way or the other, but it is much more believable that such things might be said than that someone would fake logs of them being said.