Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

It might be helpful to include an overview of the different account types for old and new players, since that was another semi-recent change.

In typical "the first hit is always free" fashion, EVE now has two tiers of accounts:

Alpha - The free tier
  • Limited selection of ships, modules, and skills, but plenty of opportunities to cause mayhem
  • You gain skill points at a slower rate and can only train skills up to a certain level
  • Although you are not limited on how many accounts you can have, you can only be signed in on one Alpha account at a time

Omega - The paid tier
  • Faster skill training
  • No restrictions on ships, modules, and skills
  • You're able - and sometimes incentivized depending on play style - to run multiple Omega accounts at once

A good number of players do pay for Omega entirely in-game through income-generating activities like ratting, salvaging, industrial production, and even scamming other players.

CCP recently upped the Omega monthly subscription from $15 to $20, though they frequently run specials with steep discounts for longer subscription periods or multi-account discounts.

Accounts can go back and forth between Alpha and Omega status without penalty. Any Omega skills, ships, and modules you possess on your characters are simply locked out until you resubscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

hailthefish posted:

Jesus this garbage game is $20/account/mo now?!?!

Yeah, PLEXing an account also went up to 2 billion ISK/account around the same time. It was 600mil the first time I won EVE and around 1.2bil when I came back last year.

I'm incredibly thankful to past me for having the good sense to consolidate all my poo poo in 1dq so present me could dispose of it from there, rather than having to sub two accounts just to move my caps and JF to market.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Something else that's being overlooked in the "change from the inside" talk is that INN is wholly owned and controlled by one guy, and is irrevocably tied to the whole Imperium EVE brand. There's still a subforum on GSF with directorbot crossposting every INN article to the GSF forums and regular sanctioned crossovers like Theta Thursdays on the ImperiumNews Twitch channel.

INN is quiet right now, but there's no reason to believe that the ad revenue will suddenly stop flowing directly into one dude's pocket, so until The Imperium decides to officially decouple itself from INN, there's still plenty of support, financial and otherwise, going on under the table. That's a problem that needs to be addressed publicly in short order, not quietly phased out over time.

hailthefish posted:

I'm afraid I'm too stupid and lazy to live in a wormhole.

:same:

I have a real bad habit of picking this game up for a few months when I have time and just kinda fizzle out when it gets boring. But I've also lived exclusively in null and never really clicked with doing big mainfleet ops.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Ablative posted:

So the OP's kind of vague, what all exactly is locked behind a subscription in terms of skills and all? Or, if it's the shorter answer, what isn't?

Most of the ships that you’d be able to fly within the first few months are available. Almost all “Tech 1” (basic) modules, with the exception of cloaking and interdiction nullifiers (just off the top of my head). Some T2 modules are available as well but aren’t as effective without Omega-level skills.

Basic mining, trading, and production is also open to Alphas but game-wide base sales tax is 8% right now and the only way to reduce it is skills so it doesn’t scale.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Clone_states#Alpha_skill_set

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

dialhforhero posted:

Is it practical to live in a wormhole even if you don’t have access to Pathfinder?

Or are there other 3rd party mapping tools? I guess I wonder: can anyone use Pathfinder now?

Is it even still called Pathfinder?

There's this: https://pathfinder.lost-in-w.space/

I haven't personally used it but I'm pretty sure the GSF Pathfinder was just a self-hosted copy of that? Could be wrong.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

learnincurve posted:

For a game that seems to be no longer in development, CCP sure do love loving up the Mac Client launcher

:ccp:

Has the Mac experience improved any since they rolled out the native client last year? I used the old pre-native client a few times to run an alt on the side and always had to crank everything down to get decent performance, even on a 2019 MBP.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Please direct all Groomfleet diplomatic complaints to TheAdj, tia

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

As an extremely casual member of this community who pays no attention to the places where people talk about the problems that keep happening, maybe a more accurate metaphor is faaaaaaaaaaaart

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Every time I touch anything industry-adjacent in this game I think "drat, why isn't there an app for this" and then I black out and wake up four hours later staring at a new project in VSCode reevaluating my life choices

Today's is PI

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Rust Martialis posted:

Some of these have issues

Oh poo poo, it's the gritty live-action reboot of GOOTS

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

DerekSmartymans posted:

drat, and my post a couple of days ago was worry over 15m worth of Rifter parts and a truck lol. When you say “dumped” in relation to goonfucking, though, you mean like selling private corp assets or selling assets to goons at inflated prices? Or something else?

Yeahhhh, part of that was me. In this case "dumped in a public hangar" means "placed them in a location where anyone can access them."

I was scrambling to import them from an undisclosed source location before the route collapsed, and they were in the same public hangar at the source, so... if anything, I just upped the difficulty :v:

Goonfucking 15b of cap parts out of the destination would have been an impressive feat, though.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Eyud posted:

HONK HONK HONK honk honk honk

You rear end in a top hat, I told you that in confidence!

Thanks for the super cheap Tengu, hopefully I get to shoot you with it some day :hfive:

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 19, 2022

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

You're having a full-on meltdown about people on Discord voluntarily sharing their pronouns. Why?

e:

lovely tuna snatch posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
lmao

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I'd like to turn slow mode back on, but only for a single poster and with the cooldown set to 6 months.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Before this thread goes too far off the rails again, let's all take a breath.

Obviously, tensions are going to be high.

Now I don't think we need to rehash anything that happened before, but to set the record straight -

Us geese are having lots of fun building up the nest and losing poo poo in fun and often expensive ways.

Sometimes we stumble into a gate camp and get dreads dropped on a kitchen sink subcap fleet.

Regardless of whether that sounds fun to you personally, we're having fun and that's what counts, because this is a game that we all play for enjoyment, not to make some number go up.

Other groups have their own aims and ambitions, and that's fine.

Ours is still a work in progress, but we've gotten a lot more done in the last month than even we thought possible.

Move on.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Somebody just called me a "scrub" in the local chat channel. What is my legal recourse on this matter?

You may be entitled to financial compensation. Please don't wait, call 1-800-EVEO-LAW today for a free legal consultation and financial information packet.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Doing something very poorly and not doing it at all are mutually exclusive concepts. For example, nobody can deny that Globby does post.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

angry armadillo posted:

we are a big bunch of idiots fumbling our way through the game

:same:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

lovely tuna snatch posted:

goosefeet still a pile of poo poo why is that even a recommended corp to join in the OP? it's 31 people endlessly feeding just holy lol https://zkillboard.com/kill/103278056/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yeah my guy, someone losing their own money forgetting to cloak a hauler in jita is absolutely devastating to us and was a killing blow to corp morale for the following reasons i will list below:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

PhilippAchtel posted:

My only confirmed final blows are against blues.

The actual One True Way.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Love how they intentionally destroyed the rigs before blowing it up - gotta minimize the KM loss while you maximize your bluefucking.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol, I got a warning on gf.com for posting in AAD.

Apparently it was a callout thread.

As far as I’m aware, when you made that post in AAD, you didn’t require a no-gag-order clause. Imagine being politically outsmarted by Merkelchen.

So legal? Yes. Kinda lovely? Yes.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

That was fun as hell. I got at least one Sabre with the Athanor guns.

Would have gotten more if the Standup Warp Disruptor wasn't a 30sec on, 1min off deal. Their reps and warp-off game were on point.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

windex posted:

P.S. yes i know i have just jumped through a gate and am cloaked, but i would like to cloak. can you just do the thing? no? ok how about you just make me visible for a second so you can feel better about yourself? still no? ok gently caress you.

I foresee there being some hard technical reason why they can’t (read: lazy devs) because gate cloak is a special kind of cloak where you’re fully immune, and the server can’t transition you from that state to regular cloak without transitioning through the intermediate visible state first.

Never not prop+cloak, though. You will get decloaked quickly otherwise.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I am moderately excited about the Uprising dock/undock animations. One thing I've wanted to see more of is world-building inside stations and citadels. I really hope they don't stop there - I'd also like to see animations (or at least specific in-station views) for industry, ship fitting, etc.

I'd stop just short of saying "Walking In Stations was good, actually", but it could have been, had they actually put some effort into making social spaces and not just a Captain's Quarters with a TV and a space barbie vanity mirror.

Rebalancing updates are fine and good but let's not pretend that it's anything more involved than tweaking values in a database.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

windex posted:

They killed Solo! Those bastards!

https://zkillboard.com/kill/103740195/

(edit: this is a great way to start a page)

:staredog: https://zkillboard.com/kill/103740195/

https://zkillboard.com/kill/103740199/ :dogstare:

:smugdog:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The Shortest Path posted:

It's loving 2022 stop being a demented weirdo
eve thread in summary

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

captainclaw posted:

6. The industy changes vastly increase the cost of capital ship production. Industrialists and players who like to use capitals are unhappy.
9. The new industry changes require people to do more PI. PI is a chore clickfest shitpile that people have asked for saved layouts, quick updating etc for years. CCP doesn't address these. People interacting with PI are unhappy (and more people are forced into it).
10. CCP introduced the "Dynamic Bounty System", reducing ISK payouts on bounties in nullsec based on how much PvP is in that system.
14. CCP's "End of Scarcity" adjusted how mining is done, adding "loss" to inefficency, generally making the "End of Scarcity" even more laughable, and they also made asteroids much smaller, forcing miners to more actively change asteroid targets - taking the "relaxing" style of mining (one of the most boring activities in the game) and forcing greater activity into it. Miners were unhappy.
15. AFTER ALL OF THIS CLUSTER gently caress OF BAD DESIGN, MORONIC DECISIONS CCP announces that the cost of subscription (via $ or plex) is increasing by \~35%, far more for countries with unfavourable exchange rates to the USD/Euro.

Highlighting these for emphasis because IMO they're the most economically damaging changes to date.

At its peak, this game was noteworthy for having a strong player-driven economy. A common marketing refrain I'd heard before playing was that you could earn enough ISK by playing the game to fund your monthly sub through PLEX. This was still mostly true when I started playing, but it depended on two main conditions that no longer exist.

1. Having a healthy PvE ecosystem with adequate rewards vs. risk.

PLEX has risen about 300% since I started. Meanwhile, PvE opportunities have reduced their earning potential by 50% minimum over the same period. Simplified numbers for estimation's sake, but it illustrates that funding a sub with PLEX has seen a five-fold increase in effort. And dwindling player numbers means there's a comparatively bigger target on your back while you play. Personally, I've aged enough over the last ~9 years since I started that devoting multiple hours a day every day to EVE no longer fits into my lifestyle. I can sustain an hour a day, tops, and I'm not about to spend all my play time grinding for ISK just to flush it away to pay my own measly $20 sub. I've got adult money and I'm perfectly content throwing around $20/month for a bit of care-free fun.

2. Having enough rubes devoted players buying PLEX with real money to then sell on the market for ISK.

PvP opportunities are diminishing with the active player count, ganking opportunities are falling with PvE players quitting, and fewer people are willing to convert real money to ISK to finance whatever activities they want to do in-game. PLEX supply and demand are both dropping, but supply is falling faster. CCP is never going to inject PLEX into the game without a corresponding real-money transaction, but after the SP and ship sale shenanigans, I could absolutely see them putting up NPC PLEX buys to remove PLEX while pocketing all of the real money.

I'm privileged in that I'm done trying to earn ISK in this game actively and am living off of what I accumulated before CCP took a sledgehammer to it. New players are at an even greater disadvantage in this sense - not only are they competing against veteran players with years of skills and resources, but they're also doing so in an economy that offers limited earning potential if you aren't already filthy loving rich.

So yeah, Space Capitalism Simulator is going exactly as planned.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

We could all go back to private Freelancer servers and fly the same 10 ships around indefinitely in a static universe but we want the experience and potential that EVE offers. It's not "being unappreciative" to criticize CCP for lovely decisions that have driven players away, especially considering that this game not only benefits from but requires a critical mass of players to work.

furthermore,

psilocybin laden posted:

yes but the playercount also didn't look like this

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Be competent enough to help when needed, but inept enough that you're only relied upon begrudgingly. This has worked great for me so far.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Today I jumped a Minokawa into the middle of a Fortizar. Not top-middle. Not bottom-middle. Middle-middle.

We also killed something and lost a few ships but the fax-on-fort action was definitely the highlight.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Really curious as to why the Astrahus (which was destroyed after the fantastic cap welp) isn't red on that BR.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

madjack posted:

Oh, and 1488 helium in that moros navy issue's fuel bay.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/106821285/

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

You're telling me we had another KB green day and shot literal Nazis?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Farking Bastage posted:

I disagree that was xenophobic

I disagree, that was xenophobic!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

DerekSmartymans posted:

That’s just horrible to think there’s some dude mining at 2am to make his rent. Or he’ll have to fork over real cash to be allowed to mine at 2am just to afford a ship for fun stuff.

Real-money rent payments isn't where that train stops, though. And it's rarely ever a case of "some dude mining at 2am to make his rent", instead it's usually something like
  • Rent system, either for ISK or :10bux:
  • Park 50 bots in it to farm ISK
  • Sell ISK for :10bux:
  • etc. etc.

That's not to say there aren't small groups who rent space to live out of to avoid dealing with sov BS/eviction threats.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Kaysette posted:

add doomheim to the list of corps to join in the OP

Life-changing advice for anyone still playing EVE: Online

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Techno posted:

The first item to take into consideration is that I am an idiot.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

"what is a gak"

"who is johnny depp"

I'll take confused sweaty nerds, for 500

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

actually it’s about ethics in space leadership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The r/eve leak was a hit job by CCP to give them cover to revert the logo approval

I have no proof for this wild accusation but apparently I don’t need any