Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best City in Australia
This poll is closed.
Melbourne 47 13.09%
Sydney 21 5.85%
Canberra 16 4.46%
Perth 54 15.04%
Adelaide 26 7.24%
Darwin 8 2.23%
Alice Springs 12 3.34%
Brisbane 37 10.31%
Ipswich 8 2.23%
Logan 16 4.46%
Geelong 9 2.51%
Gold Coast 8 2.23%
Parramatta 7 1.95%
Bundaburg 6 1.67%
Newcastle 14 3.90%
Wollongong 10 2.79%
Bendigo 9 2.51%
Ballarat 11 3.06%
Wodonga 9 2.51%
Nimbin 31 8.64%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

beet went on a spree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Who voted for Ipswich and what made you that way

A briefcase full of money

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I voted Wadonga

I've never been there but it is the best name on the list

dong, teehee

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zenithe posted:

Ipswich is unironically good

Bell St is the ultimate thunderdome. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

beet went on a spree

Someone should beet him

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Pleasant Friend posted:

Yeah, but if whoever lost that didn't use cash they'd have never lost their money.

Yes and that's exactly why I want to keep cash around

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Recoome posted:

Ipswich is unironically good

:stare:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
ITT: a bunch of Smellburnians punching down on the Real Australia, places like Nimbin, Ipswich, and Logan.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Presumably Ipswich.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I voted Logan as a joke.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I voted Nimbin because i like to smonk wead

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Perth?

Seriously?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
no Hobart in the poll, voted thread 1

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Anidav posted:

Perth?

Seriously?

There wasn't an option to vote for Gerro :colbert:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Perth?

Seriously?

fight me irl oval office

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Perth?

Seriously?

Perth is great, we will not be looked down on by someone called Anime Dave, no matter how intimidating your facial tattoos are.

EDIT: Plus you didn't split the WA vote by putting in Gerro or Funbury.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

put both hands in posted:

no Hobart in the poll, voted thread 1

What's a Hobart? :confused:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Peemantle

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Budzilla posted:

What's a Hobart? :confused:

not much whats a hobart with you?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

hooman posted:

Perth is great, we will not be looked down on by someone called Anime Dave, no matter how intimidating your facial tattoos are.

Cockburn

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

You'll never believe this. The former PM's office instructed home affairs to announce the election day boat interception before the operation was compete. They also asked for the statement to be emailed directly to certain journalists.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-22/home-affairs-report-confirms-scott-morrison-pressured-department/101262984

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I can absolutely believe that

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I mean in the last few years we had the Murdoch press reporting on stuff given to it before it was even announced by the government or it's members - an obscene example being the Angus Taylor/Clover Moore story.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Paingod556 posted:

There wasn't an option to vote for Gerro :colbert:

Have they solved the giant piles of rotting seaweed problem yet? Or has climate change just killed off the seaweed?

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

bandaid.friend posted:

My new thread's resolution is to read the thread less regularly

bold

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

You'll never believe this. The former PM's office instructed home affairs to announce the election day boat interception before the operation was compete. They also asked for the statement to be emailed directly to certain journalists.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-22/home-affairs-report-confirms-scott-morrison-pressured-department/101262984

Shocked!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Perth????

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

No stop

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
brisbowned

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Eediot Jedi posted:

And this is precisely why Scott Morrison and his church don't trust governments!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

"God’s kingdom will come. It’s in his hands. We trust in him. We don’t trust in governments. We don’t trust in the United Nations, thank goodness,” he said. “We don’t trust in all these things, fine as they may be and as important as the role that they play. Believe me, I’ve worked in it and they are important.

“But as someone who’s been in it, if you are putting your faith in those things as I put my faith in the lord, you’re making a mistake. They are earthly, they are fallible. I’m so glad we have a bigger hope.”

Apparently he spoke for 50 minutes, preaching to Margaret Court's church. Just reading the cliff notes makes me want to die. The prick took a swipe at identity politics, naturally religion doesn't feature on his list of crazy identity politics, not like gender, sexuality, race, background, what languages you speak. And it's never too late to punch safe spaces. "A real safe space is communion and prayer".

I'll take JWH living another century if god takes Morrison first.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Morrison will cum, in his hands

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Perth????

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Actually in Indiana Jones they point out that it's YWH

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
See, this poo poo right here's why preferential voting's so important. Perth...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Morrison’s Revelation: Australia has been living in a theocracy and we’re just waking up to it

The former prime minister believes himself to be special in God's eyes, one of the chosen people spreading the dominion of the Lord.

As the Liberal Party surveys the disaster of the 2022 election, it needs to read the sermon Scott Morrison delivered to Margaret Court’s church, Victory Life Centre, last Sunday and ensure that another Morrison can never again rise through the ranks to become parliamentary leader and prime minister.

The reason? Morrison’s 50-minute sermon examined in detail reveals a man who lives in a starkly different reality from most Australians.

Press gallery journalists too should take the time to closely examine the words of Australia’s 30th prime minister and ask themselves how they missed one of the biggest stories of the decade: the coming to power of a politician so thoroughly in the thrall of a niche religious belief.

Crikey has been pointing it out for at least a year, but it took Morrison’s departure to reveal the extent to which God had inhabited the Lodge over the past four years. Morrison’s lengthy sermon to Pentecostal believers gives us a better understanding of the defining features of his prime ministership: his disdain for secular accountability (whether an ICAC or the findings of the Australian National Audit Office) and his ability to mislead, be caught and yet carry on without apparent shame.

Ultimately Morrison reveals himself as a man who can justify much in the cause of spreading the dominion of the Lord. Here is what we have learnt, courtesy of Morrison himself:

God prolonged Jenny’s labour by several hours …

More than once Morrison has proclaimed the role of God in the birth of the Morrisons’ first-born daughter, Abigail, on July 7 2007 — the seventh day of the seventh month of the seventh year — after more than a decade of IVF.

In his Victory Life Centre sermon, he added a new and highly significant detail. He said Jenny’s waters broke about 8am on July 6. Jenny would have been happy to give birth “any time after about 10 o’clock that morning, I can tell you”.

“And as we got later that night, it started to twig to me what was going on,” he said. “And Abby was born soon after at 1am on the seventh of the seventh of the seventh. And you know, what that said to me was that God is faithful.”

It’s worth pausing to consider how realistic it is that God would have intervened in Jenny’s labour, but it carries a powerful meaning.

… a signal from God that the Morrisons are special

In Christianity, seven is the number of perfection — referring to the seventh day after God’s work was done. (The sixth, by contrast, is the number of man, a fallen being.)

So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all His work that He had done in creation. (Genesis 2:1-4)

Pentecostal Christians invest the number seven with extra, almost magical, meaning. The implication is that the Morrisons have a special destiny because God has singled them out with a 07/07/07 birth date, a meaning well known to Morrison’s audience.

He also spoke of the day he walked through the green belt in Wellington, New Zealand, and shouted at God in disappointment over the problems he and Jenny were having with conceiving a child: “I let Him have it. I’d say if people had heard this [shouting] they would have locked me up.”

You bet.

Morrison believes paintings send him messages from God
Morrison told of walking into an art gallery run by a Christian couple in Bourke during a drought when he was treasurer. He saw a painting of an old gum tree on the side of a flowing river and it reminded him of a biblical verse: “Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, and whose trust is in the Lord, for thy will be like a tree planted by the water that extends its roots by a stream, and does not fear when the heat comes. But its leaves will be green. And it will not be anxious in a year of drought, nor cease to yield fruit.”

(We might also ask what this means in terms of Morrison’s thinking on the link between climate change and drought, but that’s a whole other story.)

The gum tree by the river is a companion experience to one which Morrison related last year at a Pentecostal Christian conference where he saw a painting of a soaring eagle during the 2019 election campaign that he interpreted as a message from God to keep on going.

Done something wrong? Don’t worry about it
A central point of Morrison’s address was that God understands the anxieties of humans, indeed understands your anxieties better than you do, and that to overcome these anxieties just “declare the name of Jesus and declare His forgiveness, and declare His blood on the cross”.

The biblical verse Morrison quoted is:

Be anxious for nothing. But in everything, by prayer and supplication, and with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4, 6-7.)

“Be anxious for nothing.” He repeated the phrase again and again, emphasising the word “nothing” and pointing out there were “no exceptions”.

What was there to be anxious about? Morrison referred to “anxiety about our past, the scars, the hurt, the failings, the damage, that you feel”, which can “shut you down … cripple you”. “You cannot be held anxious over these things because God has broken [the link].”

Linked to the idea that “God loves you” for who you are, it’s little wonder Morrison feels released from any guilt or anxiety over his actions.

And surely God’s acceptance must matter more than any audit office investigation or a parliamentary committee finding. The thought becomes scary when you recall that as prime minister Morrison had responsibility for enforcing ministerial standards.

Accusations? They come from Satan
Morrison explicitly brought Satan into the mix as the being that makes accusations: “Satan is known as the accuser, the great accuser, and he’ll keep throwing this stuff at you.”

According to Crikey’s theological expert, “stuff” can be anything the enemy wants to attack you with, justified or not. And Satan is attacking you because you are a Christian and you are a chosen people set apart by God.

It is surely then a short step for Morrison to equate any accusation against him as being the work of Satan and therefore to be brushed aside lest it gets in the way of God’s plan.

Trust in God, not government: theocracy rules

Much has already been made of this section of Morrison’s sermon (with a couple of lines added before and after):

Listen to God as to how he would have you and how he would guide you and be faithful. God’s kingdom will come. It is in his hands, we trust in Him. We don’t trust in governments, we don’t trust in United Nations, thank goodness. We don’t trust in all of these things, fine as they might be. And as important as the role that they play. Believe me, I’ve worked in it and they are important. But as someone who’s been in it, if you are putting your faith in those things, like I put my faith in the Lord, you are making a mistake. They’re earthly, they are fallible. I’m so glad we have a bigger hope.

It is hard to beat as a statement that puts secular government second to theocratic will. It underlines precisely the problem with Morrison as the most senior member of government in Australia: he believes God does it better — a demoralising message, if nothing else, for Canberra’s machinery of government.

We Christians v the rest
Morrison clearly differentiates between Christians and the rest of society, those who don’t know “the truth of God”.

Speaking of treatments for anxiety, he said that when he looked carefully at the many provided, he saw “a lot of parallels [between] what I was learning, and [what I] had always known about God, and how God seeks to engage with us”.

“It’s funny how that happens, isn’t it, that people in a secular sphere discover what we already know in a spiritual sphere. It’s the truth of God. It’s the truth of God.

“No matter what society [seeks to deny], no matter how they might seek to deny it, or even dismiss it, the truth of God stands up and shines through.”

It is worth recalling that three years ago, and not all that far from Court’s church, Morrison promised $4 million in funding to the Esther Foundation rehab facility run by a Pentecostal pastor using religion-based therapies. Speaking to the women of Esther, Morrison used the same Pentecostal language as he deployed at the Victory Life Centre.

The foundation has now collapsed amid revelations of serious abuse of girls and young women stretching back more than a decade. Health Minister Mark Butler is still unravelling how the funding came to be approved from the Health Department budget.

From Morrison there is no word — but then none is required when you are the Lord’s anointed.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2022/07/22/morrisons-revelation-australia-lived-under-theocracy/

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

one wierd trick

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I guess he's dropped the 'daggy dad' act that turned out to be u electable and unlikely to get him any cushy spots on corporate boards post PMsjip. And replaced it with 'true believer faith warrior' which might get him either jobs on the lucrative right wing Christian speaking tour in the US, or appointed to the chairmanship of one of these megachurches with more money than god.

And whilst i do not question his fundie-ness, nor his stupidity, evil or greed. The motherfucker is a cliar and a grifter first and foremost.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

He strikes me as the type who gets his kicks watching illicit activities through keyholes, real and metaphorical. Based on his relationship with his church leaders and a spectacular run of failing upward I can't help but feel his success comes largely from knowing who is balls deep in altar boy, again real and metaphorical, and using that knowledge for personal gain.

Serious cover ups in his past (Tourism Australia dismissal for example) and just look how quickly he distanced himself from Hillsong when they could no longer distract and misdirect over that controversy.

There is something that just looks sinister in behind that smirk.

this sounds disturbingly accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

BrigadierSensible posted:

I guess he's dropped the 'daggy dad' act that turned out to be u electable and unlikely to get him any cushy spots on corporate boards post PMsjip. And replaced it with 'true believer faith warrior' which might get him either jobs on the lucrative right wing Christian speaking tour in the US, or appointed to the chairmanship of one of these megachurches with more money than god.

And whilst i do not question his fundie-ness, nor his stupidity, evil or greed. The motherfucker is a cliar and a grifter first and foremost.

Remember, this is the man who admitted to practicing laying on hands as he walked around shaking peoples hands. Give me an atheist leader over a fundamentalist leader any time, this man was useless and his excuse was 'God has a plan' and apparently that plan was for him to poo poo the nations pants