Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best City in Australia
This poll is closed.
Melbourne 47 13.09%
Sydney 21 5.85%
Canberra 16 4.46%
Perth 54 15.04%
Adelaide 26 7.24%
Darwin 8 2.23%
Alice Springs 12 3.34%
Brisbane 37 10.31%
Ipswich 8 2.23%
Logan 16 4.46%
Geelong 9 2.51%
Gold Coast 8 2.23%
Parramatta 7 1.95%
Bundaburg 6 1.67%
Newcastle 14 3.90%
Wollongong 10 2.79%
Bendigo 9 2.51%
Ballarat 11 3.06%
Wodonga 9 2.51%
Nimbin 31 8.64%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're still trying to cargo cult America where the Repubs get their votes from regional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the libs & nats already have pretty much all the rural seats, it's just the regional cities that are quite strongly labor, and melbourne is like 75% of victoria anyway

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh they're probably just aiming for upper house seats so they can just sit there and block things.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

"Regional" US is large cities, density and industry in line with all of Australia except Melbourne and Sydney. Closer to traditional labor demographics than national or liberal. Like was said, all of it has to vote so getting the rusted on even more excited is pointless.

Study just in, drug that impairs judgment is found to impair judgment.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-01/intoxication-levels-research-drunk-perception/101720020
E) further to this, due to the advent of blow machines on site and 4 am starts, go in when 0.000 on Sunday, I got very tuned into how much booze/how much food will give what result in BAC. The food is absolutely critical.

Steve got a double tonne, how nice. Head falls short on 99, bugger.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 1, 2022

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ban all religious rehab: Multiple sexual assault allegations, reports of gay conversion therapy, forcible restraint and unqualified pharmaceutical treatment are among the harrowing list of experiences described by former residents of a West Australian rehabilitation centre in the findings of an inquiry revealed today

Well done Albo: Federal parliament overturns 25-year-old ban on euthanasia laws in ACT and Northern Territory

Liberal Rapist is going to get away with it: Bruce Lehrmann sexual assault charge expected to be dropped.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Albo seys kill you are self

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

i think they're on track to go the way of the wa libs

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Not sure if the police in this country are still reprehensible shits?

No worries, I've got you covered...

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-bruce-lehrmann

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

SecretOfSteel posted:

Not sure if the police in this country are still reprehensible shits?

No worries, I've got you covered...

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-bruce-lehrmann

You can expect that the cops are shits but hooooly moly has the media just continued to demostrate why the gently caress no one trusts them

I wouldn't trust any who does/has worked for News Corp, must be like working for the galactic empire

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Saw tinsel on an RFS truck, is that legal?

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Saw tinsel on an RFS truck, is that legal?

Ho ho hope you're insured mate

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Picketer/status/1598793011621949440

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
https://twitter.com/TomisCrowley/status/1598896417879502848

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That sounds like one of the least weird things honestly. It's got Nicholas Cage and is apparently pretty good, and the themes seem fitting enough.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I'm less alarmed about him watching kids films than the whole "laying on of hands" and prayer circle stuff.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Croods Rock

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I'm less alarmed about him watching kids films than the whole "laying on of hands" and prayer circle stuff.

Yeah. Adults can watch kids movies without need to fear judgement. That's fine.

The "Every time I shake someone's hand, I am giving them the power of Jesus, whether they want it or not", is much creepier and damning of ScoMo the oval office.

The Croods related weird and creepyness was ScoMo, a grown adult who has presumably met other grown adults, and indeed worked in marketing towards adults, thinking that "If I reference this old kids cartoon movie, that will make me seem cool and relevant and with it to a modern society."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
“After he found out that the prime minister had secretly acquired Treasury, Frydenberg, who had been loyal beyond measure to Morrison, was furious. When they eventually spoke, he said to Morrison: ‘You wouldn’t do it again if you had your time over!’
Incredibly, Morrison replied: ‘Yes, I would.”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
“Fran Bailey, who had sacked him as head of Tourism Australia in 2006, had a simple explanation. ‘He is missing that part of the brain that controls empathy,’ she said.”

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

“Fran Bailey, who had sacked him as head of Tourism Australia in 2006, had a simple explanation. ‘He is missing that part of the brain that controls empathy,’ she said.”

Uhh that's near textbook definition of sociopathy.

Checks out.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I think it's just so telling of his character, that rather than referencing an old kids film as an analogy, he's actually just picked a film he's watched recently. His memory is like a sieve.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He cut short his holiday and flew back to Australia. He missed the Cobargo fiasco; however, he was with Morrison when he went to devastated Kangaroo Island. Morrison committed double faux pas there when he commiserated with locals by saying at least no one had died. In fact, two people — a father and son — had died trying to get to their property.
Then, after he was corrected, Morrison said: ‘Yes, two, that’s quite right. I was thinking about firefighters firstly.’

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's an interesting juxtaposition to Abbott, who's famous "poo poo Happens" comment was almost certainly more about him being weird and awkward, and really bad at thinking on his feet - with an edge of cruelty stemming from his gross ideology. Hence when called out, he just sorta shut down, because he realised when put in context, what he'd said was hosed up.

Morrison on the other hand doesn't seem capable of acknowledging wrongdoing, and between his sociopathy and being convinced that Jesus has his back and is guiding his every move, will just double down.

The differences are subtle but distinct.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

lih posted:

a bunch of the victorian liberals are going around talking about how their path back to power is 'regional victoria' and they need to be winning seats in geelong, ballarat and bendigo (which they haven't held in decades and are largely very safe for labor) so i think they're on track to go the way of the wa libs

That theory you’re hearing isn’t a new one, they’ve long maintained since around the 2010 US midterms that they can win so long they energise the economically anxious.

I know one conservative that keeps telling me about the massive swings against Labor, despite many of those swings occurring in seats where the Labor candidate is still curbstomping the opposition by 20-30 points. Yeah Labor should take a look at those swings but then again it’s still a 20-30 point win.

A lot of them are coming to terms that US culture war bullshit doesn’t really work in an environment with mandatory voting and ranked choice. Which is why a lot of them are starting to turn on our voting system.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 4, 2022

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

It's an interesting juxtaposition to Abbott, who's famous "poo poo Happens" comment was almost certainly more about him being weird and awkward, and really bad at thinking on his feet - with an edge of cruelty stemming from his gross ideology. Hence when called out, he just sorta shut down, because he realised when put in context, what he'd said was hosed up.

Morrison on the other hand doesn't seem capable of acknowledging wrongdoing, and between his sociopathy and being convinced that Jesus has his back and is guiding his every move, will just double down.

The differences are subtle but distinct.

My recollection of the "poo poo happens" fiasco is that he wasn't being callous. He was talking to soldiers about the death of a soldier and was trying to say that no matter how well you plan and prepare, conflict involves an element of the unknown. You can do everything right and poo poo still happens.

It was not the best choice of words to use in the situation but I think he was being sincere. It's just a symptom of his mouth running about 10 seconds ahead of his brain.

The TV interview was him just terrified of going off script. He needed Credlin to ensure that he didn't give away a soundbite, instead he just came across as bizarre.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

How many ageing rockers went to Good Things

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Cosmic Psychos had to go on early to make the early bird dinner special at greenbank rsl

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Cosmic Psychos had to go on early to make the early bird dinner special at greenbank rsl

I think a lot of people may have had that issue

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

My brother was there specifically to see TISM. And if I was still in Aus, I would have been right alongside him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/KosSamaras/status/1598899646541492224

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
2016 broke a lot of politics understanders' brains. After Brexit and Trump, every underdog can push the whole "silent majority" / "polls have it wrong" line.

Somewhat unrelated, but I was trying to find some information on Twitter earlier about the changes to ministries announced today in Victoria, and I stumbled on a thread (with fairly high engagement for vicpol twitter) that was full of people absolutely convinced that Dandrews is clearly gearing up for a Christmas lockdown. There has never been a better time to live in an alternate reality, you will never be lonely there.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
A report on the 2022 Federal Election was released today:
https://australianelectionstudy.org/

Direct link to the report PDF: https://australianelectionstudy.org/wp-content/uploads/The-2022-Australian-Federal-Election-Results-from-the-Australian-Election-Study.pdf

Some slightly interesting but not entirely new points from the Executive Summary posted:

Most Teal voters were not ‘disaffected Liberals’, but tactical Labor and Greens voters. Less than one in five Teal voters previously voted for the Coalition.

On average, Teal voters are ideologically close to Labor voters – placing themselves just left of centre on a zero to 10 left-right scale (Teal mean: 4.4; Labor mean: 4.3).

There are major generational differences in voter behaviour. The Coalition has very little support among Millennials and Generation Z. The Coalition’s share of the vote fell in almost every age group, but especially among the youngest cohorts of voters.

Scott Morrison became the least popular major party leader in the history of the AES, scoring 3.8 on a zero to 10 popularity scale, down from 5.1 in the 2019 election.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Mola Yam posted:

2016 broke a lot of politics understanders' brains. After Brexit and Trump, every underdog can push the whole "silent majority" / "polls have it wrong" line.

Conservatives are constantly making the fatal assumption that legitimately huge swings against Labor in safe historically working class seats will translate into similar type of swings in competitive, often metropolitan, seats by the way of enthusiasm.

I don’t think energising the base actually really doesn’t matter that much in Australian politics because everyone is required to vote and you can’t really split the vote. A conservative colleague pointed out to me that the Labor was in trouble because they saw 10% swings in seats like Broadmeadows…which is kind of irrelevant because Labor still won that seat by over 30 points after preferences.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

This particularly shits me because it's the wrong elections. The polls were actually pretty close on both Brexit and Trump (Brexit was polling about 50/50 and Clinton was winning basically every poll but only by one or two points) but the pundits couldn't believe the unwashed masses would actually be that stupid (despite all evidence to the contrary) and so tried to pin getting caught out in their predictions on the pollsters.

The polls were actually off in the 2015 British general election and to a lesser extent the 2019 Australian election. But it seems to have been around Brexit and Trump that the notion of "inaccurate polls" took hold, partly because I think the reality of what we were living through, as you say, broke some commentators' brains.

quote:

Somewhat unrelated, but I was trying to find some information on Twitter earlier about the changes to ministries announced today in Victoria, and I stumbled on a thread (with fairly high engagement for vicpol twitter) that was full of people absolutely convinced that Dandrews is clearly gearing up for a Christmas lockdown. There has never been a better time to live in an alternate reality, you will never be lonely there.

Twitter also a great place to find COVID-zero zealots who believe that Australia should have a Christmas lockdown and our politicians are eugenecists for not ordering one

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

freebooter posted:

Discord also a great place to find COVID-zero zealots who believe that Australia should have a Christmas lockdown and our politicians are eugenecists for not ordering one

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

freebooter posted:

SA Covid thread also a great place to find COVID-zero zealots who believe that the world should have a Christmas lockdown and our politicians are eugenecists for not ordering one

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The thing is that I can kind of understand how Americans, whose government left them to their own devices from the get-go, could believe that it might be possible to eliminate or at least massively reduce COVID cases if only they had strong public health action - they're wrong, but I can see why they might believe it. But I can't understand how Australians who lived through the Delta lockdowns and then the Omicron wave could believe it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think we’re past the point where lockdowns can be useful but I also think the Goverment is wrong to be winding down pandemic powers and leaving people to their own devices. I’m wholeheartedly in support of legally enforced mandatory mask policies during surges and mandatory vaccination including boosters (which we’ve fallen massively behind on probably because there isn’t that workplace pressure any more). Woolies fired everyone in the company who refused to be vaccinated in March, and now they’ve turned around and said ‘oh hey you know what we aren’t requiring you to be vaccinated any more’ which is total bullshit in my view.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
everybody had a gutful of lockdown but you could still require people to stay at loving home if they happen to test positive on the tests that people aren't doing anyway, or require masks in more settings instead of shrugging your shoulders and saying idunnodowhatuwantm8

and every loving time the media goes to catherine 'this is fine' bennett for a contrary statement just settle in to snort boogs directly off the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The Covid-zero grifter bee-hive is all abuzz because Albo got Covid at a Pixies concert on the weekend :sparkles: