Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

live a live just came out on july 22! again after it came out on the super famicom like 28 years ago!!

'what is live a live', you might ask? good question!
live a live is basically a rpg (made by square) with grid based combat, wherein you play as one of eight characters in their own little mini scenarios, from the wild west to prehistory to imperial china. you can play them in any order minus the last person, who is only unlocked after beating the other stories. also the music is incredibly good, having been done by the Legend Yoko Shimomura, being her first project at square after leaving capcom!

this remake for the switch boasts fancy pants hd-2d graphics, a redone ost (supervised by shimomura), voice acting, little atb bars under characters, and for the first time is actually getting released worldwide! if you wanted to play the original version you had to either know how to read japanese or you played the fan tl that came out a while ago.

for the remake there was a ton of sweet new art made just for it (though the original game had different artists for the chapters minus the unlockable one) and also a bunch of trailers too! also :siren: there is a demo that lets you play a little bit of a few scenarios and your progress will carry over to the full game!! :siren:

additionally, undertale/homestuck/halloween hack fans might tangentially recognize the boss theme of this game, "megalomania", as being the inspiration for toby fox's "megalovania" after he couldn't jam it into the halloween hack :v:

personally i've only played part of the wrestler chapter and some of the mecha chapter before stopping back a few years ago in a emulator, so im excited to play the remake! :)

https://twitter.com/LAL_PROM/status/1550133501415997441

edit: hey guess what its coming to steam and ps4/5 now too!!
https://twitter.com/LAL_PROM/status/1641366743019839493

Booky fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

(reserved for when i post the cool promo art and stuff)

oh sweet i went checking for the promo art and check out this cool thing the remake did where they got comments from the old artists!! its in japanese but, they're p cool
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/lal/comment/
a sample tweet since they also got tweeted out: https://twitter.com/LAL_PROM/status/1550304351197200384

anyways heres all the cool new promo art that got made for this!! i linked the tweets below them too because it would be wayyyy too long if they all embedded at once

Cowboy:

Tweet

Mecha:

Tweet

Wrasslin:

Tweet

Sci Fi:

Tweet

Ninja:

Tweet

Martial Arts:

Tweet

Medieval:

Tweet

Caveman:

Tweet

more to come, later minus the cute countdown arts, that's all the new promo art! :)

Booky fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 23, 2022

rox
Sep 7, 2016

game seems neat and im glad its out for my friends who are enjoying it :)

e: vita means live (palindrome)

rox fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 23, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

switch means "life"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
live a live, or as i like to call it, pog a pog

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The remake is very good so far. I like how the menu shows your party members chilling out in your current environment, it’s a cool touch. It seems like a pretty faithful remake with just better combat ui and updated graphics, which is good because I thought the original was up there as one of the better snes rpgs.

The climax of the near future chapter is still cool as hell. It definitely benefits from the updated presentation.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

God just shoot the remix of Megalomania right into my veins.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I don't have time for this right now with Digimon on the horizon but Shimomura is the GOAT.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is genuinely a great argument for taking old SNES-era RPGs and just giving them better UI/QoL features because honestly there are just a billion small things that make the game smoother to play and the improved visuals go a really long way to helping the fairly simple stories work. Even Present Day, which is still my least favorite, works a lot better with the goofy voice acting and better spritework and everything.

It's a genuinely good remake in that it basically just adheres to what the game was going for but with polish it couldn't have at the time, which helps emphasize a lot of its strong points. (And occasional weak points.) Also the translation is really good and while I'm kinda 'eeeh' on some of the accents they've mostly done a good job with the voice acting and tone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m like an hour into the prehistoric era but I very much appreciate there being loving Flintstones cars. Also this smelling mechanic is neat!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
This game was great. Check it out if you haven't

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just started prehistory and i love that the interaction prompts are all just "..." because pogo doesn't know words. this remake has felt very affectionate so far and yeah all the new little features enhance what was already there

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm stuck early in the Wild West chapter, no matte how much milk I drink, this outlaw just keeps getting me more. I've had like 30 cups and he won't stop. this can't be healthy :(

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Thank you to everyone who purchased the Megalomania DLC for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call for making this possible

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm stuck early in the Wild West chapter, no matte how much milk I drink, this outlaw just keeps getting me more. I've had like 30 cups and he won't stop. this can't be healthy :(

They call him “The Sundown Kid” because of all the dairy farms that had to shut down after he drank all their milk!!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This game is one of the best games ever made.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I am currently trying to beat the Prehistoric super boss because I'm an idiot.

Edit: well I think the king mammoth won't show up anymore if you get the rock of rocks? Because try as I might he won't spawn anymore. Well that sucks but I don't care enough to start over at this point.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 23, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i have just added the cool promo arts to the second post!! :)

im about to Finally start up the demo but before i do heres a cute countdown art
https://twitter.com/LAL_PROM/status/1545981135380963330

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Glagha posted:

I am currently trying to beat the Prehistoric super boss because I'm an idiot.

Edit: well I think the king mammoth won't show up anymore if you get the rock of rocks? Because try as I might he won't spawn anymore. Well that sucks but I don't care enough to start over at this point.

he will! i just started that fight after getting the rock, please pray for me

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oughhhh just started imperial china and aaaa this game looks so Good!!!!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
spoilers
https://mobile.twitter.com/krembeni/status/1550859913668071424

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

A word of advice for those doing Prehistoric: the fertility charm is changed in this remake so that you can use it infinitely. Combine a hard rock + rock knife for your one-stop shop for free area healing and buffs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
why even fight, the guy's already dead

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Looper posted:

he will! i just started that fight after getting the rock, please pray for me

Maybe not after a completed chapter save then? Because I tried to go back and do it after completing it and now he won't show up, which is also when I got the rock.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

beat prehistoric and the martial chapters

my fav part of the endgame of the martial arts chap:

"HEAVEN'S PEAK DESCENT!!" *cue Megalomania* :black101:

glad i finally get to play this game at last :allears:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Every single time Megalovania is queued up is hyped to the stratosphere.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Glagha posted:

Maybe not after a completed chapter save then? Because I tried to go back and do it after completing it and now he won't show up, which is also when I got the rock.

that i can't attest to, but i do think it would be very strange

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Completed the Edo Japan and China chapters. I previously completed the Near Future chapter way back in the day, with the creaky old fan translation that was eventually replaced, so I am leaving that for later. Game is real good.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
only finished the kungfu chapter and am midway through akira's chapter right now. the original game ruled and this is managing to rule even more.

protip for akira's chapter: you can skip the item conversion cutscene in the antique store with zR, and it's very worth doing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Finished China, Wild West and Japan. Game's real neat, although I decided to pacifist-run Japan and that didn't go so well because game kinda esoteric in the back half of that. Definitely gonna go back and do a genocide run of that. I am gonna kill that fish.

It's really, really apparent sometimes that this is a thoroughly touched-up game from the 90s. It's full of extremely cool and creative uses of tiny details that put tiny narrative bites in unexpected places, and it's also full of odd, clunky design choices, especially if you're trying to do a pacifist run of Japan. But overall, I'm loving it. I can't believe how novel it feels given how old it is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I actually appreciated how I somehow managed to stumble into pulling it off despite spending 90% of my time aimlessly loving around and reloading a lot of autosaves. Felt like just the right amount of leeway.

I did not kill the fish, though. someday i will be back for you, just you wait

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1589
I am ninja man
410,757,864,530 SAMURAI

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No lie I pulled up the ancient rpgclassics shrine for the Bakumatsu Twilight of Edo Japan walkthrough. Without one I have no idea how anyone would figure out a full pacifist run.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

100 kills isn't much better - you have to leave certain people alive so they trigger events later.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I figured it would have been impossible to do a true pacifist run on Edo Japan. Definitely going to do a kill em all run at some point.

Also *Insufferable nerd voice* this game is totally ripping off Undertale *Head explodes Scanners style due to the concentrated indignation of countless Millennial gamers*

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
With only light savescumming I managed to blunder my way up to the 4th floor of the castle without any guides. Some of it was a little weird but it seemed basically possible. Of course, I had no idea that the boss up there was mandatory and didn't count as a kill (the game seems ambiguous up to that point but I figured he was a human, if it was ever stated otherwise I must have missed it). After that is nonsense though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Maybe if you'd been a bit better at loving up you'd know that each kill is tallied immediately after a fight and that boss doesn't add to the counter. :smug:

What's even left after that, though? put money in the money hole, don't fall, get the robot, don't fall, proceed to plot flag, don't fall, and you're home free, unless there are other steps I did before coming there that mattered

Like it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's basically the only direction you can go, other than the direction the game tells you is bad and should be savescummed away.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Novasol posted:

100 kills isn't much better - you have to leave certain people alive so they trigger events later.

Do you get an actual reward for 100 kills, and is it possible to have hosed myself out of it in the available demo content? I wanna do it, but if it's not that big a deal, I won't stress not getting all 100 if there's no true acknowledgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There isn't a reward for 100 kills. But since you're going to get swole doing that anyway, you might as well wreck the secret boss and the the other top weapon from the chapter.