Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I wanted to double-check something for Twilight of Edo Japan: for a 100-kill run, is it correct that you need to kill the maid who offers you the medicine box? If so, is there any reason not to just kill everyone EXCEPT her and to get that sick accessory and all the XP/items from everyone else too? I heard that there's no reward for completing a 100-kill run, but does the game acknowledge it in some way? Does it lead to a scene or dialogue or... anything? If not, this item's too good for me to bother with finishing it.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Snake Maze posted:

Yes, you need to kill her and miss the medicine box for 100 kills. I don’t remember any acknowledgement for a 100 kill run, unless it causes some minor dialogue change in the final chapter or something. There’s definitely no reward for it. A mixed run is best if you’re just trying to minmax rewards.

OK, that's what I thought! It turns out that I'm more greedy than prideful, so mixed run it is. Thank you!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

How different is the regular good ending vs. the version where you recruited everyone?

If it's the same except that the latter has an extra scene/dialogue or something, I'd love to know because then I'm not gonna bother doing the former.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Sorry, to clarify: is it worth the effort to do both the normal ending and the true ending, or only the true ending because there's nothing unique in the normal ending that you won't also get in the true ending?

I understand that the true ending has extra stuff; what I haven't been able to find is whether the normal ending has different stuff, or if it's all the same except that it stops prematurely. If it's all the same except that it stops prematurely, I'm not going to bother doing it and I'll just skip straight to the true ending.

edit: thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 19, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Done, 99%'d the game. The only thing I skipped was the hidden boss that requires 100 flees/teleports in the final chapter; I did ~20 and felt my soul leaving my body and decided to just finish the game while it was still fun, ha. I was going to do the same thing with the cola bottle and skip that but I got lucky and received it on my first try. I only ended up using it as an accessory, though; as an item it was too powerful. It's funny given how useless most of the damage items are. Also, another very specific complaint, gently caress the cosmic equipment. It was either a downgrade or sidegrade from my existing gear; what a ripoff. Anyway...

When I was a kid, JRPGs were my favorite genre, and I played most of them between the SNES era to the Gamecube era. Over time, I fell out of love with the genre because of the repetitive storylines and combat systems as well as the timedrain of grinding. The last one I played was Earthbound on the Wii U virtual console probably 5+ years ago. I dunno why the trailer for this one caught my eye, but I'm glad it did. It feels like a sister game to Chrono Trigger, and I really enjoyed it.

Ranking the scenarios from best-to-worst in terms of story/characters:

1.) Distant Future
2.) Middle Ages
3.) Wild West
4.) Imperial China
5.) Near Future
6.) Twilight of Edo Japan
7.) Present Day
8.) Prehistory

Ranking the scenarios from best-to-worst in terms of gameplay:

1.) Present Day
2.) Twilight of Edo Japan
3.) Imperial China
4.) Middle Ages
5.) Near Future
6.) Wild West
7.) Prehistory
8.) Distant Future

Final party:

Lei Kugo (lead)
Pogo
Oboromaru
Akira

Sundown blows in combat; hurricane was his only good ability and I had horrible luck with it so it almost never did more damage than other people's ultimate abilities. Cube felt like a worse Akira and I didn't want to farm robotic enhancements to help him stay alive. I did like using Masaru but grew too annoyed with his lack of range to keep him in the main party. My party felt like goddamn powerhouses between Pogo's ability to annihilate anything physically, Oboromaru and Akira's ability to annihilate anything with special attacks, and Lei's ability to do both. Good poo poo! Very satisfying.

Also, I did not expect that during the Middle Ages chapter that Oersted would choose to become Lord of the Dark. I assumed Streibough wasn't dead and figured that he would curse or possess Oersted at the end instead. Basically the whole chapter I was just kind of chuckling at how loving horrible this dude's life was and how it just kept getting worse and worse and worse, but didn't put 2 and 2 together until Alethea started cussing him out and killed herself. It did make me regret the time I spent getting Oersted up to level 16, but still, I really liked the direction the story went and how much of a fakeout Uranus's dying words turned out to be. Dramatic!!! It would've been nice to get a Force-ghost version of Oersted during the running scene or the cliff scene during the credits. Like, an actual happy ending isn't realistic for him, but that would be kind of a make-good since he got the Darth Vader redemption at the end.

The new version of Megalomania is fine, but I think the original was significantly better. I had no idea Undertale pulled that song and (very slightly) remixed it. It was clear that Undertale was heavily inspired by Earthbound when I played it, but the level of influence that this game had almost seems even greater, which is wild given that he must've been playing a fan translation.

Square Enix are totally loving nuts if they're not remaking Chrono Trigger in this style. When they do, I hope they do so on the Switch successor or the PS5 or something so there isn't slowdown with particle effects and that kind of thing.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I was with you up until here, the remastered version is a lot more interesting. :colbert:

Wait, I'm dumb. When I heard that the SNES version had been the basis for Megalovania in Undertale, I tried looking up that SNES version, but I think what I found is a remix someone did of that where they started it with the keyboardy bit from the beginning of Megalovania and then transitioned into the old Megalomania.

So, every time I heard Megalomania in the remake, I was like "this is cool, but why did they cut off the best part from the beginning? :smith: "