Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
only finished the kungfu chapter and am midway through akira's chapter right now. the original game ruled and this is managing to rule even more.

protip for akira's chapter: you can skip the item conversion cutscene in the antique store with zR, and it's very worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

It really is fun how not only is each chapter starring its own character but each one is a different genre.

This has been such an undersold part of the game, IMO. Live A Live isn't just a game with a bunch of short vignette style chapters so much as 8 unique flavors of RPG and it's still kinda mindboggling that the original came out in 1994. Playing through the original a few months back for the first time was a hell of an experience to have, considering how much of this game's blood I suddenly recognized in so many other games I've played before without batting an eye.

Unlucky7 posted:

It looks like every character has an associated endgame dungeon. If I decide to switch out a character (found Yun. Yeah I know…), will I find the other character where I originally found them?

With the exception of (I believe, and this is based off the SNES version) Sundown, all characters that you switch out will be found in the same location you recruited them.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
I love all the little unique things they do with the status menu, and the places they slip them in kinda amaze me. Chapter 8 In the very brief moment between Hasshe's death and losing Streighbow from the party, the party menu accounts for it and decides to throw in some foreshadowing:

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Just finished the true ending of the remake. The original ending sequence already gets me marking out hard, but the new fight at the end was incredible. Oersted getting to deliver the final blow to the horror he'd created was the most perfect addition to the true ending they could have given him, short of a second chance to stop Streibough's plot from setting everything in motion.

Bongo Bill posted:

I've got to say: a lot of things done first by Live A Live in 1994 are still being done best by Live A Live in 2022.

Honestly, yeah. I think that's the thing that floored me about my initial playthrough of the SNES version with a translation, was how incredibly well the unique parts of the game held up even in the original and the small tweaks that the remake makes to things make it even better. I think the invisibility cloak in Oboromaru's chapter is the only thing that really needed to be gone over again? It's a bit too easy to get semi-pinned by enemies that chase you and end up stuck waiting for them to wander off just enough to let you run off.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Einander posted:

You use the cloak less like a cloak and more like a smoke bomb, because they forget about you basically right after you hit the button. Be the highly visible ninja you always wanted to be and just run everywhere.

My whole thing is how the NPCs that pursue you now linger around in the area as if they're looking for you and that doesn't really stop at any point, so if you get caught in a bad spot you can end up having to wait a really long time for a gap to open up. The attic ninja (where the Watanabe scene is) was the one NPC I'd say I had a big issue with this over just because of how many chokepoints there were.

Honestly a really minor complaint in what's otherwise an absolutely excellent chapter, though.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

The fight is actually harder in the remake

Really? I thought it was easier overall even without grinding up to 16. So long as I kept up the stat buffs from the meat haunches on Pogo and abused the Wait function (not pass, since wait just slowly ticks the action bars as opposed to advancing to whenever the next character's turn would be) I was pretty reliably able to attempt to cancel the global explosion and/or cancel lava tile heals before the boss got much of anything from it.

Still probably the hardest fight in the game, but doesn't feel anywhere near as inconsistent as the SNES original where if you saw the roomwide lava it was an immediate reset, if not an outright wipe to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Why didn't I hear anything at all about this?

What are the chances the remake winds up making its way to Steam?

To the first point, probably has a lot to do with the fact that it released around the same time as the new Xeno and Digimon games. Kinda sucks, because this game is a legitimate treasure.

Supposedly there's some text strings in the game that allude to a PS4 and PC versions, but I only saw it in passing and can't really attest to the veracity of it. I can't see SE NOT porting it down the line, though.