Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I am currently trying to beat the Prehistoric super boss because I'm an idiot.

Edit: well I think the king mammoth won't show up anymore if you get the rock of rocks? Because try as I might he won't spawn anymore. Well that sucks but I don't care enough to start over at this point.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Looper posted:

he will! i just started that fight after getting the rock, please pray for me

Maybe not after a completed chapter save then? Because I tried to go back and do it after completing it and now he won't show up, which is also when I got the rock.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Arrrthritis posted:

I think the only thing that matters is if you Get the prisoner out of jail or not, because there's a bad ending if you manage to beat Ode Iou without freeing them.

Really? I thought he shows up regardless because you can't rescue him on a pacifist run so he'll show up on his own if you don't, or does that only happen if you have zero kills?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Last Celebration posted:

Just finishing Prehistory, but lol that they got Vegeta’s JP voice actor to play the smug dickhead rival character, perfect. There’s supposed to be super boss, right? Am I right in figuring that if I wither need to restart the chapter entirely or even if I can still fight it I might as well restart to have Beri with me?

Important note, I have no idea if it'd happen to anyone else but when I completed the chapter and reloaded to go back to fight King Mammoth, he wouldn't spawn anymore so if you wanna get him maybe do it before actually beating the boss.

Edit: I played through the ninja chapter last night and got the two super bosses. The fish I beat basically just straight up. Kept someone right in front of him to keep him from whiskering anyone so he'd mostly just tackle and I'd spin him to break the charge on flood and just sort of tank and spanked to death. The sword guy I struggled a lot more with, until I managed to get him caught at a point where I could warning shot with prisoner and turn him right before his turn so he couldn't use any attacks, and I just wind bladed with Oboromaru until he was dead. He didn't get a turn once I got him locked into that loop it felt silly but we take those.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 25, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Harrow posted:

Four chapters down, did the Wild West one last night.

What a cool premise that was. I really love how the short story structure lets them just experiment with the form and do creative things, knowing that hey, if it doesn't land for any given player, it's over in like an hour anyway. Ultimately it seemed pretty easy to set up all the traps and chump the bandits (were the little sparkles indicating where items are there in the original?), and watching them fall prey to the traps was a really funny scene. Also lmao that O. Dio was a horse the whole time. Evil horse with a gatling gun ftw

Going to do Edo Japan next. I found it kind of weird in the demo but I'm hoping that going in and just not really caring about the kill count will make it a smoother experience this time. I can always do a pacifist run later.

To answer your question, the item sparkles were not in the original game, no, so the western chapter required a bit more rubbing your face on every object. Edo Japan is also one of the more complicated chapters and the demo doesn't really sell it I don't think since the chapter is very nonlinear. The pacifist and 100 kills runs are both very difficult to do without a guide or prior knowledge so I definitely recommend you ignore the kill count.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I'm playing the final chapter and I have an opinion question: Is Masaru kinda dogshit? Maybe I need to stat him up differently but even with really high natural physical attack he just seems incapable of doing any damage compared to the master, Oboro, or Pogo. I ended up dropping him after doing one of the trials with him because he really didn't seem to be bringing anything to the table.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I like the dub a lot. I saw some people mad about the translation because they took some liberties with the dialogue, but the people getting mad about it were lovely gamer bros and I have learned to never take the opinions of lovely gamer bros all that seriously.

As for late game complaints: Yeah, the random encounters get kind of exhausting. Hell, I didn't like needing to walk back through the long path leading up to the final boss in the prehistoric chapter and you can (technically) dodge those. They're a bit much but then again I'm not like some people I've seen who take random encounters as like, the greatest sin possibly committable by a game. Like I've seen folks write off Undertale angrily because it has random encounters. I'd prefer if they DIDN'T have random encounters, sure, but it's more a bit of old game friction rather than something that sours the game for me.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Don't worry if you feel like you missed something in the ninja chapter, it's such a weird and convoluted chapter that there's always something weird you might have never noticed because. There's a ton of secrets and weird events. As for the mimic mammet, I swear that poo poo's impossible to do blind. Even knowing roughly how to get it I managed to gently caress it up because I stepped on the cushion on the way out after putting in the coins and fell into to basement which appears to break the event because then the coin slot is still gone but there's no mimic and no way to interact anymore. It's so weird and fragile and seems to break for no reason

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't think grinding really helps that much anyway outside of making the fight shorter. For Lord Iwama I basically just took turns tanking and healing after his attacks while standing where he couldn't use whisker and interrupting the full screen attack. Oboro up front doing the most damage, takes a hit, steps back, prisoner takes his place, use an item after they've both been hit once, repeat until dead. this was at like level 11 or 12 I think and I was still getting two shot by the fish, so I think strategy is more important than raw stats but levels do give you more wiggle room and better attacks.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sometimes it falls to Oboro to interrupt which is a DPR loss but it's better than dying. I dunno, seemed pretty safe when I did it but I just realized I had Muramasa when I did it so your mileage may vary lol

Edit: For Majin Ryunosuke to GET Muramasa I think I just got fuckin lucky. Turns lined up so I'd hit him with Oboro and Prisoner would rotate him so he'd have to waste time turning because he doesn't have any backward facing attacks and I literally just did that repeatedly until he was dead. I don't think I could repeat that on purpose and get the turns to line up perfectly.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 29, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Harrow posted:

Which of Oboro's moves can interrupt?

Several of them. Any move that causes rotation or movement can interrupt. Off the top of my head Cross Flare spins and I think Waterspout has a knockback? Obviously not the top choice because of water but it does it.

Edit: With the caveat that for the knockback moves to work they have to actually move the target. If their back is to the corner I don't think it does anything.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Pyro Jack posted:

Just getting into the Western chapter and I'm just before the main gimmick of the chapter starts. The race to place traps in order to thin out the enemies' numbers. Got a couple of questions, how exactly hard is it and is there any advice that's important for it?

It's not hard, no. Just run around and grab every shiny then come back and hand out everything. I think the only catch is make sure to give the unique traps to the right people. I forget what the effect is but it should be fairly obvious who gets what. Other than that though just wing it you'll be fine.

Edit: Basically just don't screw around, if you hurry you can get everything, and if you don't get the maximum result that's fine, I had a couple adds in the final fight and it's not that hard.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 29, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

In the final chapter isn't there also a boss that attacks you if you run away too much? I mean I think it gives a good piece of gear or something so I'm sure you might wanna do it intentionally but still

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I don't think they really buffed Akira or anything, but my theory is just the game is a lot more transparent about it's mechanics now so it's a lot easier to tell what the hell is doing to happen when you do stuff. The original game didn't tell you enemy weaknesses and resistances if they even existed in the game, and the move descriptions were very short, so from the point of view of someone playing the fan translation you just see a move that just says like "Mother Image: Vision of Mom" and you do it and it does like 10 damage to a group of enemies you could easily draw the conclusion that he sucks. In this game you can tell what moves are going to be effective against what enemies and get a ballpark description of how much damage and the status effects of a move so he's way easier to use effectively.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 30, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah it's kind of a shame that for every bit of effort to be transparent with mechanics in this game the stats are kind of difficult to interpret still.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That is a secret I didn't know about, huh

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So about medieval chapter stuff:

I like the performances in this remake but in the old one and in the remake I've been confused about some of the details about the whole chapter. Streibough didn't formulate his plan to betray Oersted until after defeating the fake dark lord right? I'm kinda wondering about stuff like why there was a fake dark lord if Streibough didn't orchestrate the whole thing. Is that just unexplained? Also I kinda wonder why the princess was so ready to ride or die for Streibough. I think the dialogue suggested that Oersted knew how Streibough felt about her and refused to take the L anyway, and I guess it might be implied that she had at least some sort of relationship with him before the tournament, otherwise it just seems real weird to be like "I will knife myself over this man who showed up out of nowhere, took second, told me he loved me, and then betrayed his best friend and got some honored heroes killed over it". Not that I think it needs any super deep explanation to make the story work, I think the story of "what if the hero didn't get his happy ending" bit is fine and I'm willing to meet it halfway on some of the details or vague bits, but some of the story beats stick in my head.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finished the game finally. I gave up at the end when it came to optional content because I was just so burned out by the final chapter but I really liked the end. Game good, strong recommend 10/10, time to not play any JRPGs for a while.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It just changes what name is displayed whenever someone says it. It's never voice acted because you can change it

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Last Celebration posted:

So for the Void of Hatred or whatever the final chapter does it matter who I choose out of the seven non-Oerstien protagonists? I went with Cube thinking it’d be decent little mini-dungeons, and I like the lil guy but if this is a “pick your favorite to beat the game with” situation then I’ll just restart.

Whoever you pick for your lead you're stuck with and there's justifiable reasons for any of them. Cube is a little quirky because they can't level up at all and rely on upgrade items but otherwise is a fine character. If you want a slight nudge for who makes a good choice if you do decide to restart: Sunset is a good one because he's the most annoying to recruit. I'd stay away from Masaru because I think he's bad (which he might not be other people like him well enough and I think he's usable but mileage may vary) but also because he starts at level 2 and is in a very precarious position starting out the game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know speaking of Cube I just realized there is definitely a part in the future story where they absolutely say something to one of the characters. Like Cube never has any dialogue but the character reacts to a very specific piece of information from Cube so they had to say SOMETHING. It seems like Cube can communicate but still only ever beeps and bloops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm not 100% certain but I think the disciples learn the same moves outside of their starting ones.