Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Allarion posted:

Yeah going for 100 kills was deliberately obtuse to do cause you’d have hidden women and guards you’d have to go outta your way to find and kill. I think in one case, you’d have to trigger things in a specific way so you can kill them yourself rather than through traps.

It's not even the hidden ones that are rough, there's the insanely convoluted thing of not killing a single woman until right before the last boss' room which causes a woman to spawn to thank you for not killing any women and reward you with gear except instead of accepting it you just attack her instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

If that's true, it's different from the SNES version, where once you kill Okyo, the Lost Spirits stop spawning. Could be a QoL change specifically for level grinding in a zero-kill run.

The fast spear and fury knife are Pogo's best weapon options (the spear adds speed, while the knife has more raw power). The following items represent the other "Best in slot" items for the cast aside from that and the previously mentioned Wildheart Sack (note that you'll need lots of rocks and bones, because stone knives are needed for leather straps, which make several useful items).

Armor: Wildheart Armor (Dried Skins+Stone Knife) for Pogo, Wildheart Dress (Pelt+Leather Strap) for Beru, and a plain Pelt for Gori.
Head: Laughing Mask (Dried Skin+Fang or Horn) for Pogo and Beru, Beastskin Hood (Pelt+Horn or Bone) for Gori
Feet: Rough Bands (Horn+Bone or Rock) for everyone (also an accessory)
Arms: Dried Skin+Rock (I don't recall the new translation of the item name at the moment) or the Whip (Leather+Stick) for Pogo and Beru, depending on whether you want more power or speed.

The good accessories (forgive me if I misremember the new names):
Thumping Drum (Skins+Stick or Bone)
Pretty Flower (Fang+Horn)
Rough Bands
On that note what the hell did "Gigigaga Waka" turn out to be in this official version?

Glagha posted:

Don't worry if you feel like you missed something in the ninja chapter, it's such a weird and convoluted chapter that there's always something weird you might have never noticed because. There's a ton of secrets and weird events. As for the mimic mammet, I swear that poo poo's impossible to do blind. Even knowing roughly how to get it I managed to gently caress it up because I stepped on the cushion on the way out after putting in the coins and fell into to basement which appears to break the event because then the coin slot is still gone but there's no mimic and no way to interact anymore. It's so weird and fragile and seems to break for no reason
I've seen at least 4 different people mess up their 0 kill run because of that cushion. I can't tell if it's a weird bug or an intentional "Haha you made a singular easily missable mistake, no reward for you!"

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Fedule posted:

Good christ no. When I eventually figured that particular gimmick out I started on it and after like five battles I ran the numbers on how long it would take versus the reward and just figured it wasn't worth it. I'm just glad the game came out on the one platform still mercifully free of achievements because I get to be free of extrinsic compulsions to do nonsense like that.
While I know the other user was suggesting that just for the gimmick, I do think it's notable for anyone who dislikes the battles that Flee is a 100% guaranteed, 0 penalty option anytime you're just not feeling the enemies that appear.

SettingSun posted:

If this game had achievements there would certainly be one for facing down the entire Crazy Bunch at once.

It's kind of exhilarating facing them all down, especially with the way Gatling Gun works now compared to the SNES original.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah the original Gori's laugh was quite literally just Mutley from Wacky Race/Dick Dastardly cartoons which is hilariously for that kinda lovely sidekick character. The new one by comparison is an actual laugh.

Harrow posted:

Yeah I think Akira's chapter would be really frustrating if I couldn't see enemy resistances. Even then, later in the chapter you start running into random grunts who are practically immune to Akira's abilities in general (they take 0 damage from something they resist and like 2 damage from everything else), which feels kinda weird, having a lot of random encounters where your main character's main skillset just stops working. I could definitely see this chapter really sucking if you also just didn't know what half of those abilities did in the first place.
The 2nd half with the agents and the "hot" dogs with flamethrowers definitely feels like it's building up to a "If only I had Matsu again" feeling and then he shows up again.
But I do genuinely wonder how much of that is balanced around you crafting Taro's weird goofy as hell accessory weapons.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah some years ago (2015 or so?) there were a couple Live A Live crossovers that made a bunch of new art for that chapter. I believe it was 2 games: Final Fantasy Dimensions II (which is a SaGa game?) which gave us updated art of LAL's final boss(obvious massive spoilers), and something called Holy Dungeon, which is where that fancy art of the Middle Ages characters comes from (including this one very spoilery character design that isn't in EclecticTastes' link but actually ended up as the basis for a design in the remake and mentions that the cape Oersted is wearing is Straybow's).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Truxton posted:

The 100 kills route has its own big gotcha with the woman who only appears to give you a reward if you didn't kill any women up until that point late in the chapter, like, after the first fight with Ode Iou late. If you killed any women up until that point she never shows up and your 100 kills run is forfeit, and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING telling you this will happen other than already having done a run where you don't kill any women (And even then, her dialogue doesn't make it super obvious what she's rewarding you for).

That one's completely mistranslated in English for some reason, because she's blatantly thanking and rewarding you for not killing any women. And you never "helped" her earlier either so it's doubly confusing how or why they messed this line up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It was actually twenty cavemen and you had to talk to the last one that entered the room.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think EVA Akira just ran out of budget for its final episode finale.
(I know EVA came out a year later it's just really funny to me to think the devs wrote the chapter the way they did as a dig to "anime ran out of money" occurrence that happens so often) :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Nope, not possible. Those are two 100% conflicting instances. It's really weird that you just never run into him despite being in the chapter intro and he's still there in the credits but eh, they can't customize everything.