Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In the Distant Future scenario, when you gain access to Kirk's quarters, you can enter a password. Is there a clue for that password anywhere? If so, is the clue accessible at the same time the password entry is? If not, what's the password?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It took me a few tries to beat that one, but here's what worked:

• Alternately inflict stun and sleep with Pogo
  • Have Gori heal with a Fertility Charm or replenish the poison tiles underneath it as needed
  • Keep Gori diagonally adjacent to it in order to bait out weaker attacks
  • If it creates a bunch of fire tiles, you're probably screwed, but try to override them with poison tiles

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I wonder if there's some easy way to just, like, see a bunch of people's reactions to the Live A Live remake, who have never encountered the original, collated conveniently. Like, half of why this remake is so exciting for me is the thought of all the people experiencing it for the first time.

This is my first time playing it (though I knew of the original) and I'll happily write up some serious impressions once I'm done.

For now, it feels like this game is a missing link in the history of games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I got through Edo with pacifist conduct yesterday, with some help from friends. There are a few gotchas:

• If you do something that counts as a kill, the game will make it obvious afterward
  • If you can run away from a battle, there's no penalty for doing so, or for initiating it in the first place
  • Some battles can't be run away from and are against humans, and can appear without warning. Save often
  • If an NPC kills someone for you in a cutscene, it doesn't count as a kill
  • If they're not a human, it doesn't count as a kill
  • If it's a boss, it doesn't count as a kill
  • Don't release the Prisoner from his cell, or else you'll have to kill someone
  • Find the Mimic Mammet and let it take out the guards immediately outside the room where you find it, or else you'll have to kill someone

There are tons of secrets and amusing scenes in this. I probably would have enjoyed it more had I gone into it unconcerned about the kill count in order to enjoy those scenes and dialog more. Anyway, I heard (but have yet to see for myself) that the reward for pacifist conduct is basically as good as the reward for beating the harder of the two superbosses, and I did beat both.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The secret to the fish is that it's vulnerable to the instant kill move, which you can learn by giving six koban to the pot or by grinding an inordinate amount, but don't do that. This can be done in a pacifist run.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have beaten Live A Live (2022, Nintendo Switch, English).

I think that remakes often reveal that there's no hard distinction between the application of contemporary amenities (fancier visuals and audio, more convenient and informative UI) and the alteration of design. Sometimes the original design was subject to constraints which no longer apply; sometimes the effect of the original design has been impacted by the changes that make it a remake; sometimes the remake process is taken as an opportunity to revisit design elements which may have been errors or were simply undesigned in the first place. The process of remaking tends to put into conflict the desire to remain faithful to the source material while releasing it from compromises forced upon its original production, and the exigencies of commerce mean that these dilemmas are often resolved according to the principle of what would be most profitable this quarter, rather than what would be most artful or respectful or fun.

Remakes are derivative works which are implicitly presented with the bold (but, I feel, attainable) claim that for most purposes they supersede their originals. I say "most purposes" because it's plainly impossible for them to supersede the original for all purposes: trivially, archivists and historiographers don't want any variation or revision to escape their attention, and remakers err in trying to work around the impossibility of perfection.

Anyway, this is one hell of a remake and one hell of a game. I don't regret waiting for it, even though the original had been available to me in fan translation all this time. User interface design is one of the few parts of game design that I think have gotten unequivocally better over the decades. Both in 1994 and in 2022, Live A Live is a game based on the concept of using RPG mechanics in different ways to tell a variety of stories, and a contemporary user interface that clarifies those mechanics even further, making those emotional beats more direct and clear (along with the parts where it simply makes the game less confusing to play).

The concept is easy to explain: an anthology JRPG, consisting of short and archetypical stories, each exploring some concept too extreme for a full game, united by their consideration of a common theme. To keep the stories approachable, they consist largely of film pastiches, though I think this decision resulted in them having another common element, one which isn't really related to the "humanism" motif uniting the chapters: there's like no women in this thing. That's pretty hosed up.

But the reason it's possible to overlook that deficiency is because the main thrust of the whole game is not its narrative content as such, but the way it is told, its formal innovation, its experiments with the structure and techniques of games. The breadth of those experiments have made it hugely influential (even if a couple of them resulted in revealing that while you can do that, you probably shouldn't), so to an English speaker experiencing it for the first time, it's like discovering a missing link in the evolution of games. It's such an inspiration that it's even got me wanting to fire up RPG Maker a little bit. Over the years I've unknowingly played many games that I didn't recognize as paying homage to Live A Live. And I've got to say: a lot of things done first by Live A Live in 1994 are still being done best by Live A Live in 2022.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In that scenario, note that you will have the chance to change your equipment right up until you actually talk to the boss. There's a reason why you might want to do what you suspect, and it's because that fight is one-on-one, so things the shifu has equipped won't be any help to you, but that's something that makes it immediately apparently whether you might want to reload a save.

Unlike the original, there's no difference between items equipped on the main character and equipment held in your inventory at the end of the chapter. Similarly, there's no benefit to refraining from collecting treasure in any given scenario. This is a nice improvement because you can basically just play naturally.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

With that particular ninja I ended up just triggering the battle and running immediately.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Space Madness can affect anyone.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All right, I figured it out. Live A Live is a story about how you should never forget to tell your friend about it when you're dating someone.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

But yeah, in the remake there's no need to do anything weird with your equipment or inventory, or refrain from gathering treasure, for reasons outside of the scenario itself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I got some use out of Taeko's Furious Fist (Masaru can equip it if you give Akira something else), and the Full-Body Tights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/dwn040/status/1552273447484813313