Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

HGH posted:

While I know the other user was suggesting that just for the gimmick, I do think it's notable for anyone who dislikes the battles that Flee is a 100% guaranteed, 0 penalty option anytime you're just not feeling the enemies that appear.

Unless Akira's in your party. Then there's a random chance you wind up in his bonus dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Pyro Jack posted:

Finished the Western chapter. It's actually not that hard to finish all the traps and easily wipe out all of the Crazy Bunch minus O. Dio if you haul rear end which I ended up doing. I also decided to pick one of the slower townsfolk after getting everything at the Saloon so that he'll be nearly done after I get everything in the other buildings and I can send him out again. After that, it was set everyone with the traps (and Annie and Billy with the right ones), wait until the barkeeper comes back and then drink myself before sending more people with the remaining required traps and then keep drinking until the boss fight. Speaking of that, O. Dio is probably one of the more durable bosses compared to Ou Di Wan Lee and Odie O'Bright due to having alot of health but without any backup, he's pretty predictable. I can guess he's way harder if you decide to be a crazy person and take on the entirety of the Crazy Bunch (which, if there's a Steam release for this, that's definitely one of the achievements).

Anyway, might as well go to the Near Future. I'm hankering for some anime and the Near Future is very anime.

Fighting the entire Crazy Bunch at once isn't as bad as it seems on paper as long as you at least made the effort to grab everything in town, the way they're all packed together makes them all very susceptible to molotovs Bottled Fire, and the Dynamite can be used in battle as a very large, powerful attack that creates fire tiles. Sundown has a piercing shot that can hit multiple enemies, and Mad Dog's Texas Jitterbug is a multishot area attack that hits random targets in range, and unlike in a fight where there's less of the Crazy Bunch there, there's no rocks on the field in an all enemies run. O. Dio himself is crammed into the upper-left corner of the arena and his own men keep him from being much of a threat early on in the fight by keeping him trapped as long as you're aware of the range of his Gatling Gun, never be in any straight line range of him, including diagonal.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm beginning to feel like this was some SE executives passion project and so they were able to get some silly stuff for a remake of an old game that had flopped on its original release.

From what I understand Takashi Tokita, the game's director, has been fighting like hell to get this game remade for a long time, and the HD-2D team were apparently huge Live A Live fans who cite it as a major inspiration for Octopath, so the whole thing is just a giant labor of love.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Wouldn't surprise me, they got freaking Hironobu Kageyama to sing Steel Titan's theme, and he's Mr. 90's Anime Theme Song himself.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

(Near Future) in the lab, does the boss have to be killed? I doubt it since it has over 900 HP which is reserved for superbosses, but I know it’s not a cutscene death = plot progression either, so do I just need to take off a 100 HP or so? that pool kid hits like a coked up bulldozer so I just wanna know ahead of time if I should just dump my healing/combat items into surviving or what.

If you get right behind the boss and hit it from behind with a physical attack it instantly does a counterattack that makes it self destruct if you want an easy way out of that fight. Akira should have the movement speed to be able to get right behind the boss instantly. Mind-reading one of the NPCs in the lab hints at this.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Live A Live: The game that will make you glad mammoths went extinct.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is there any way to figure out which stats affect which moves? Like I've been going on the assumption that Physical Attack affects the first seven damage types and Special Attack the remaining seven, but I'm not sure that holds 100%, let alone which moves are buffed by Physical Defense or Speed.

Also 20 save slots is too few. Do you not gain anything from keeping clear data saves from previous chapters so long as you have a later save that includes it? I kind of figured it mattered since each chapter's saves appear in the select menu.

Pretty much experimentation and trial and error. The move types don't determine it, either. A bunch of grappling attacks from Masaru's chapter are all physical but Wise Fox's Grace is labeled as a grappling attack and it definitely scales off Special, that's why the Shifu hits so much harder with it than any of his students do.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
The 100 kills route has its own big gotcha with the woman who only appears to give you a reward if you didn't kill any women up until that point late in the chapter, like, after the first fight with Ode Iou late. If you killed any women up until that point she never shows up and your 100 kills run is forfeit, and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING telling you this will happen other than already having done a run where you don't kill any women (And even then, her dialogue doesn't make it super obvious what she's rewarding you for). There's some other smaller gotchas too, like if you entered the castle dungeon from the moat it is entirely possible you'll rescue the Prisoner for real in the cell that takes you to Amakusa before you have a chance to encounter the Prisoner's imposter in one of the dungeon cells who is one of the 100 kills and he'll disappear.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Endgame character stuff:

Sundown's a great choice as leader because, as mentioned, recruiting him (And re-recruiting him) is a bit of a chore and he's one of the best damage dealers anyway. He's not great to have in front, though, as he's very squishy the later in levels you get, so make sure to change formation once your party starts to get more rounded out.

Masaru's not as terrible as people make him out to be. Yes he starts at level 2 and if you don't give him a Taeko's Furious Fist soon enough it can feel like his damage is lacking, but enemies scale to the party's level anyway and he's pretty tanky and has a competent self-heal + buff. His moveset is pretty varied and comes with lots of debuffs. The others do kinda overshadow him a bit, but he's perfectly viable.

Cube is the best healer in the game (No one else has a Counter Heal with an area effect) and might be a permanent fixture of your endgame party anyhow, their early game isn't too bad if you made a full compliment of robot weapons for Taroimo because they're compatible with Cube, just make sure to recruit Akira ASAP so you get his inventory, Masaru, who is still a good meatshield, can also be recruited by Cube early on without a fight (He also won't fight Sundown), and he's not far from Cube's starting point. Also shouldn't be in front for long.

Pogo is already pretty beastly to begin with, even moreso if you went through all the trouble of his optional fights and equipment, he's a good starter pick.

Lei's the fastest character, gets access to everything from high-damage single-target attacks to crowd control with Wise Fox's Grace and Sacred Dragon's Tantrum (Don't neglect her Special Attack stat if you want the most out of these two!). Put her in the front of your party and you can potentially get the latter off before any enemy can even act.

Oboro is another very well-rounded character, if you went through all his optional content he'll likely already be extremely powerful when you start the chapter. Excellent choice.

Akira is... well he's better than he was in the original, but not by a whole lot. He can heal, but he doesn't have nearly as much range with it as Cube. He's got massive attack ranges but lacks the damage to make it feel impactful. He's ok in normal encounters and he's not useless in a boss fight but all the charging he's got to do for his best attacks makes him feel kinda weak when Sundown, Lei, and Pogo can get greater results with just as much effort. It's just for every good thing he can do, he gets overshadowed in that category by someone else, even his area attacks get outpaced by Sacred Dragon's Tantrum and Big Shout being fullscreen. Basically only make him your leader if you really like his character
He does give Odio a pretty good verbal beatdown in his version of the true ending, at least.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

well that’s a shame wrt Akira, I got spoiled that there was a chance to mindread some spirits for extra dialogue and he’s pretty cool in general; and yeah, Cube/Pogo seems like not the best choices narratively which is part of what I wondered. Cube does seem like an amazing healer tho.

You can do Akira's dungeon and you can still read the ghosts' minds even if he's not leader, so you won't miss that at least.

Pogo and Cube do get some unique interactions in the remake if they're leader. They're worth looking up after your playthrough at the very least.

Late game UX quality of life stuff: Also each character in the Dominion of Hate gets their own baked-in save slot for that character's run as leader, so you can swap between playthroughs if you wanted to without losing progress in another. Good for competitionists that want to see EVERY character's unique leader stuff. Even easier if you went through the hell of getting the Cola Bottle that makes the rest of the game a joke.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Nope!

Regardless, done, Legacy Preserved. Great game 75% of the time, janky SNES JRPG like 25% of it, and really I probably brought 10% of that on myself since from what I can tell no one made me do those bonus dungeons for characters I never fielded, especially since there’s a golden topknot in the final dungeon anyway.

Question: what changed from the SNES version, assuming I got the perfect ending? Is the default ending just the JRPG-rear end bald angel Odio that ends with him dying with “the seed of Odio exists inside everyone”?

In the SNES version the game ended with Purity of Odio, the chapter boss refights, and Oersted's speech, yes. The entire Sin of Odio encounter and Oersted's Big Moment is new to the remake's version of the best ending.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Just finished Middle Ages. What a chapter :smith:

Now onto the final chapter... I'd say I'll go with Pogo? He's my highest levelled protagonist, has good variety of elements, AOE attacks and has the Cola Bottle if I get mad. Also I want to see how whatever little dialog there is goes with a MC that knows one word :v:

He's a good starting pick, and yeah, you're in for a treat in regards to unique interactions, go for it!

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
The original version didn't give you those little hint riddles if I recall correctly. It was all trial and error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
So if "I don't own a Switch/I'll wait for it to come to Steam/PlayStation like Octopath did" was your big reason for holding off on this good news! It's coming to PS4/PS5 and Steam on April 27th.

https://youtu.be/SjQPmA-QmeU