Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

live a live just came out on july 22! again after it came out on the super famicom like 28 years ago!!

'what is live a live', you might ask? good question!
live a live is basically a rpg (made by square) with grid based combat, wherein you play as one of eight characters in their own little mini scenarios, from the wild west to prehistory to imperial china. you can play them in any order minus the last person, who is only unlocked after beating the other stories. also the music is incredibly good, having been done by the Legend Yoko Shimomura, being her first project at square after leaving capcom!

this remake for the switch boasts fancy pants hd-2d graphics, a redone ost (supervised by shimomura), voice acting, little atb bars under characters, and for the first time is actually getting released worldwide! if you wanted to play the original version you had to either know how to read japanese or you played the fan tl that came out a while ago.

for the remake there was a ton of sweet new art made just for it (though the original game had different artists for the chapters minus the unlockable one) and also a bunch of trailers too! also :siren: there is a demo that lets you play a little bit of a few scenarios and your progress will carry over to the full game!! :siren:

additionally, undertale/homestuck/halloween hack fans might tangentially recognize the boss theme of this game, "megalomania", as being the inspiration for toby fox's "megalovania" after he couldn't jam it into the halloween hack :v:

personally i've only played part of the wrestler chapter and some of the mecha chapter before stopping back a few years ago in a emulator, so im excited to play the remake! :)

https://twitter.com/LAL_PROM/status/1550133501415997441

edit: hey guess what its coming to steam and ps4/5 now too!!
https://twitter.com/LAL_PROM/status/1641366743019839493

Booky fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

(reserved for when i post the cool promo art and stuff)

oh sweet i went checking for the promo art and check out this cool thing the remake did where they got comments from the old artists!! its in japanese but, they're p cool
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/lal/comment/
a sample tweet since they also got tweeted out: https://twitter.com/LAL_PROM/status/1550304351197200384

anyways heres all the cool new promo art that got made for this!! i linked the tweets below them too because it would be wayyyy too long if they all embedded at once

Cowboy:

Tweet

Mecha:

Tweet

Wrasslin:

Tweet

Sci Fi:

Tweet

Ninja:

Tweet

Martial Arts:

Tweet

Medieval:

Tweet

Caveman:

Tweet

more to come, later minus the cute countdown arts, that's all the new promo art! :)

Booky fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 23, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i have just added the cool promo arts to the second post!! :)

im about to Finally start up the demo but before i do heres a cute countdown art
https://twitter.com/LAL_PROM/status/1545981135380963330

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oughhhh just started imperial china and aaaa this game looks so Good!!!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Bloodly posted:

That is quite some knife the princess has.

i think some of the medieval art is from a mobile game?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i've Finally been able to sit down and start playing!! i'm almost done with the kung fu chapter and i was wondering if i should give my disciple the shifus better equips before confronting the baddies?

also, :(

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ahhh i finally beat imperial china... admittedly last night i game over'd to ou di but i beat him the second go and i just saw the ending!! go lei :toot: e: i even beat him with heavenly peaks descent as the final blow for Maximum Cool

im gonna do present day next

Booky fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 8, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Terper posted:

Voice acting is great but I want to give special notice to the Imperial China ending where the English dub sounds like this, but in Japanese, they add some extra special flair to it.

the eng vers unavailable rn but that echoy effect was jp only right? Win

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

rats.... i beat moribe alright (after intentionally losing for dialogue) but now aja hits like a truck even without goofing around :(

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

and thats wrasslin down!! aja, jackie, and odie gave me a extra death (i intentionally lost the first matches for next dialogue tho), but the first run vs odie had masaru live through a diving ddo with 1 (One) hp which would have been hype af if i won that one

hmmmm... what to do next...

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Bongo Bill posted:

Space Madness can affect anyone.

truly, space sucks

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ahh... i've finally been able to finish cowboyin, i think up next is prehistory

what a nice chapter, tho sundown did die twice in my non-thrown boss fight :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ah yea this cool vid just came out comparing og and remake LAL!! its p neat seeing all the gameplay changes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjwJ01VnuoI

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yoooo those pics are win!!! :eyepop:

i didn't even know LAL got a cafe (well, kinda)

also are some of those artworks all new?? never seen em scanned; its really cool the og ver of cubes chap art is easier to see than the scans, its prob wonky scan settings or smth

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the games dropped on steam/ps4/ps5 now!!

apparently theres still a demo too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

woah that rules!!!!