Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

God just shoot the remix of Megalomania right into my veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Every single time Megalovania is queued up is hyped to the stratosphere.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No lie I pulled up the ancient rpgclassics shrine for the Bakumatsu Twilight of Edo Japan walkthrough. Without one I have no idea how anyone would figure out a full pacifist run.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There isn't a reward for 100 kills. But since you're going to get swole doing that anyway, you might as well wreck the secret boss and the the other top weapon from the chapter.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Started on Near Future because I wanted to know if the theme had vocals for the remake. I was not disappointed.

Did not remember that there was a sidequest where you recruit one of the kids to steal your caretaker's savings. Kinda makes the character a bit of a poo poo.

They steal something a lot more personal in the fan translation so it's an improvement.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ClothHat posted:

Does the remake include the running joke with the dead Watanabe dads?

Of course it does!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I finally made it to Chapter 8, and I gotta say, I did not expect the dramatic finale to be a bog standard final fantasy knockoff with a silent protagonist. You had better have a hell of a twist in store, game! Though I guess the wizard is kinda cool, just got a straightforward arsenal of the final fantasy elements.

I keep wracking my brain for some overarching plot, but all I've pieced together is that all the villains are named Odio and have some flavor of JRPG villain "greater good through awful means and also awful ends really" motivations (except the gatling gun ghost horse, he seemed cool). Also Watanabe's dad is gonna die, but they popped that one off in the tutorial.

I'll just say that this chapter will not disappoint.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

In the Distant Future scenario, when you gain access to Kirk's quarters, you can enter a password. Is there a clue for that password anywhere? If so, is the clue accessible at the same time the password entry is? If not, what's the password?

In the fan translation of the original the password is “Warp”. I didn’t try it myself but I would try it or “Warp Speed”.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The prehistoric chapter us used to be my least favorite, but the music remixes completely turned it around for me.

My new least favorite is the present day.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Raserys posted:

How do you use reaction attacks? I've been trying to figure out how to trigger Unseen Bow's Arrow.

You need to be attacked, and the the source has to be within your counter's range. Sometimes, they don't go off though or another counter is chosen if applicable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s interesting. The Edo chapter is visually striking and received significant visual updates. But in function it is still *identical* to the original, down to the layout, enemy placement and behavior, and item placement. Really this is true for all the chapters.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hibbloes posted:

as much as everyone loves the graphical update, ive gotta say the thing im most impressed by is the voice acting. outside of the bizarre british dude in feudal japan, everything has been spot on- the terse western protagonist and his slighty flowery rival, the grunts and exultations of pogo and his crew, and the intensity of the kung fu chapter were all amazing, but i was most impressed by the modern chapter. the end fight against odie has masaru yelling out the names of those he learned the moves from when using them occasionally, which added a lot of gravity to the fact they had just died. in the og i never felt a real connection or anything, but having him do that really ramped up the emotion of the fight. i only heard him mention nam, moribe, and jackie, but i was using every move i had to hear him tribute them, which i think means the game certainly succeeded what it was trying to do there. and having the enemies yell out as their health goes down really worked out to, i enjoyed the little dab of personality it added to the fights.

The voice acting is incredible and another sign that great care was taken to the details of the game. The weird English accented dude in Edo is a real person; a Japanese historical hero pivotal to bringing about the Meiji Restoration. If I were to guess, the accent is leaning on his strong affinity for western culture he was known for.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Both of the rewards are swords of equal strength. To be clear they are not the same sword though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Watanabe gag spans every chapter and for anyone who wants to spot them here they are. These are based on the original but based on the rest of the game these are probably the same:

Prehistoric: Falls into the pit trap like Pogo does.

China: Only if Hong is successor. Shows up also trying to get revenge at the rival school.

Edo: Early on in an attic. This one can actually survive(!!!!!!) if you kill the samurai who kills him before you go up there.

Wild West: Gets shot by the Crazy Bunch as they ride into town.

Present Day: While fighting The Great Aja. If you get him into the right spot a spectator will throw something at him and Aja will jump into the stands and destroy him.

Near Future: You fight the dad as a liquefied human powering a robot in the lab while is kid lives in the orphanage with Akira.

Robot: The WATANABE communication system is a father and child antenna array, and the former is destroyed in an explosion.

Medieval: Streibough kills him in the opening tournament.

Final : In Pogo's dungeon as statues. Akira can mind read them for a clue about fighting an optional boss.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think part of the Pogo issue is that he doesn’t have a localized VA. In the dub they straight up just leave the original in. After all, why not? There isn’t anything there but grunts and noises. Nothing to localize.

Of course, this creates a bind when the climax has him say mankind’s first word.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can get an edge over most of the chapter by fighting respawning ghosts over an over for levels. Easier to do here than it was in the original.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can make best in slot gear before having your first battle with the crafting and the minigame that gives you one of each ingredient. I like the change they made to that minigame for the remake too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If this game had achievements there would certainly be one for facing down the entire Crazy Bunch at once.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Glagha posted:

In the final chapter isn't there also a boss that attacks you if you run away too much? I mean I think it gives a good piece of gear or something so I'm sure you might wanna do it intentionally but still

There is, if you do that 100 times. It drops a piece of cosmic gear, which while just being good gear also protects against petrification.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hibbloes posted:

From the wiki: Mad Dog will attempt to flee before confronting O. Dio and leave Sundown only to appear again if there are many Crazy Bunch members and you respond negatively to Billy before the fight.

It might be from both, but definitely the latter does it. cleared out the whole Crazy Bunch but stayed silent when Billy asked whether or not we'd die and Mad Dog didn't show up at first.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've only ever kept 1 save. You need to rebeat the chapter for any changes to carry forward, such as if you reloaded the prehistoric chapter to fight the superboss.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In the current minigame the guy will point left or right and for you that's the bubble you want to be true. So the one with fewer cavemen in it, the one with Gori in it, etc.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay, I've finally started playing the remake version of the Middle Ages chapter, and first, I keep forgetting that the clearing where you find Pogo is south of the central forest, not east of the first screen of Heroes' Rest. Been playing this game for more than a decade and I still consistently misremember that.

But more importantly, I've heard tell that the treasures in the chapter will be refilled in the final chapter even if you pick them up as Oersted. Is that true? Because if so, that makes things a hell of a lot more convenient.

That is true. Quite a good QoL change! (Also everyone's inventory, not just their equipment, also comes with them.)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I think items on the wall still disappear forever.

They don't! I cleaned the whole place out and they came right back.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Gameplay questions on the final chapter, mostly just curious on some stuff: so umm, do random encounters scale off your party level? I switched out Cube for Masaru to do his dungeon and as he started to skyrocket in levels I started seeing more weird stuff and I think I remember someone saying it generally works like that for certain parts of the game.

Yes it scales both on average level of the party and number of party members.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yun was my first choice as a kid and I kept that when I played it in the remake. I did like his arc where he went from a weak nobody to the successor.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Just to check, to the final chapters you only transfer what your characters are wearing right? For now my Pogo has the best equipment on the left side/Rock of Rocks/King Fang/Cola/Fertility charm/Pretty flower. Though idk if I saved over the final save I made on the chapter...Sundown has the frying pan, Yun had the best gear I had and Masaru/Qube don't matter.

You get everything in the remake, even other party member's gear.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Item Getter posted:

That makes me wonder, if you missed learning other techniques in his chapter would you learn them automatically when leveling up in the final chapter?

Yes Masaru will learn everything by level 16. This is true for everyone actually. Like if you were bad at training in the kung fu chapter your inheritor will still learn all the techs eventually.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don’t remember the specifics but there was nothing stopping you from just using all your skills until one worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You don't need to fight any of the superbosses if you don't want to. The game is easy, and you don't need what they give ever.