Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Just playing the demo, does the combat in this game ever get more interesting or challenging? I'm not really sure how to feel about how every character has like 8 attacks which aren't limited by MP or anything and things are easy enough that you don't have to think much about what to use. Though there were some inklings of things getting interesting in a puzzle-like way in some of the Captain Square levels and how if the Ninja is underleveled from avoiding combat you can get 2-shot and have to rely on laying down flame tiles and keeping out of enemy reach. I also did enjoy figuring out how to try to get through that chapter pacifist style the most of anything in the demo. I don't really expect a lot from mid 90s Square games but wondering if things ever get more or less challenging enough that you have to think things through a bit more.

Kind of on the fence about buying this game in general. Always been a little bit curious about it since high school era SNES emulator days but never got around to playing it. The demo was decently entertaining but didn't really blow me away, though people in this thread and gamefaqs etc. are really hyping up the game as being great. I will say also that I know the overall late game story based on reading an LP of the SNES fan translation years ago so there wouldn't be any big surprises there.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It's a shame this game wasn't a bigger hit, it could've inspired 3 decades of JRPGs where all the cutscenes are just the characters pointing and grunting at each other and sometimes a gorilla mugs at the camera.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Kato finally succeeds in creating a functioning sentient robot and then the first thing it does is go play video games for hours on end

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
(chapter boss spoilers) Game is good but I do wish that more of the chapter bosses were on a level closer to Odie O'Bright, I feel like he was the only one who put up much of a fight. While it's cool and cathartic to stomp the boss with your giant robot/ultimate kung fu technique/etc, most of the bosses feel a bit too anticlimactic after the awesome buildup and music. The only other one which was a bit difficult was when I intentionally fought O. Dio and his men without using any traps the second time through to see what it was like. Also I was not really looking forward to the Present Day chapter, but I ended up enjoying it a good deal since encourages you to think and engage with the combat mechanics a bit more than the other chapters.

The music is great though I do wish they had added a few more tracks in the remake, I can accept that there was not much variety in the original due to cartridge space limitations etc but only having one track playing across all areas gets pretty old in the Near Future chapter for example.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Am I really the only weird one who likes Yun? I feel like narratively it makes for the best story to choose him / he would be the protagonist of that type of story if it was in a non-interactive medium like a movie where you couldn't choose. You know what with the other two already being fairly strong from the beginning, and his whole recruitment arc with him being physically weak and the shifu calling him "stronger" than his physically intimidating bullies since he has the strength of spirit to stand up to them, him having to beg the shifu to accept him as a disciple etc. And just generally it seems like the best story for the one who seems physically weakest in the beginning to have the most potential and growth and eventually inherit the title of master. Similarly with how the game designs its mechanics to reflect narrative, you could reasonably expect the one who initially has the lowest stats/level to have good enough stat growths to become equal to or surpass the others, though I suppose that's not the case at least for his max HP. Still it's not an issue in most cases if you avoid putting him in a risky position, and outside of maybe some optional bosses the game is not really difficult enough that you have to min/max everything.
It just seems like everyone in discussions about the game is always on Team Lei outside of a couple people who like Hong, granted it's understandable since they're all likeable characters and choosing Lei is the only way to prevent the cast of the game from being all dudes + 1 robot. I guess I just feel like Yun is really underappreciated, I think he's a cool choice for the reasons I stated above.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

The issue with Yun is that he's the most expected and generic one. It isn't statwise, it is that he is absolutely the kind of dude who would end up the protagonist in another JRPG and that is exactly why nobody wants to pick him. You can get Yuns in all sorts of JRPGs. Lei is extremely cool and has a great arc that fits well with the narrative of the game and Hong is so outside of the norm that he fits the 'weird-rear end protagonist' concept the game is going for.

He isn't terrible or anything but he's a dime a dozen type and I don't need a dime a dozen type in my game about Adorable Circle Robot, Cowboy, Caveman and Psychic Biker Mecha Pilot.

Fair enough, it's why he seemed like the natural choice to me but I can see why that would make him boring for a lot of people.

Speaking of the Psychic Biker Mecha Pilot, I think it's a little strange that they chose to end his chapter with the cliche sort of "It was all just a dream.... or was it???" type ending, but I guess it all really happened anyway since Odeo is placed on the same boss-rush pantheon as all the other Odios and Akira keeps all of his items from the chapter etc. And all that is basically mandated by the larger structure of the game, which makes you wonder why they chose to end the chapter that way at all. Granted I haven't tried selecting him as the final chapter protagonist so not sure if it's addressed there.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

The framing device of Akira's chapter is that he's recounting his story to the player, and the ending bit is his reverie being interrupted by a customer.

Yeah that makes the most sense of anything, though I think it didn't really work since that framing device was dropped after the very beginning of the chapter so it's easy to forget that it was there at all. They probably should have had Akira narrate directly to the player a time or two later in the chapter to remind you that it's how the story is being told. So since that was only done at the beginning, instead I think that me and probably a lot of other people came off with the mistaken impression that the game was implying that it was all a dream. Maybe it should have gone back to the shot of the eyes with Akira saying something about the ending and getting cut off mid-sentence by the kid asking for taiyaki.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 15, 2022

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
That makes me wonder, if you missed learning other techniques in his chapter would you learn them automatically when leveling up in the final chapter?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

Yeah, I get that, it just feels like an unfortunate contrast between "visual and sound design in 1994" and "visual and sound design in 2022" where somehow 1994 ends up feeling more daring and original, even when judged by 2022 standards. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but both the design and composition are really bog-standard "post-Playstation Square-Enix", and this was a chance for them to instead make a big swing, come up with some truly out-there visuals and music, and basically say "This game was ahead of its time for 1994, and here's what we think is ahead of its time for 2022". Which, obviously, is just my own high expectations, it's no fault on the devs' part, plus Demon King Odio is a tough act to follow when it comes to novel and interesting boss designs. Loved that the whole crew got to team up on Sin of Odio, though, that ruled.

Also I wonder if Toby Fox is gonna compose Gigalovania now...

Outside of music and such was it visually designed by the same people as the 1st form of Odio? Knowing that it was a new addition to the remake, it struck me like another developer came in and was just tasked to make a "JRPG final boss" and came up with the most generic looking thing possible. Unless it was the same designer working on both, it strikes me of less of a 1994 vs. 2022 thing... I suspect that in the early 90s, outside of Live A Live and FF and a couple others that there were a ton of forgotten early-90s Dragon Quest clones and such that put you up against a generic looking evil dragon, wizard etc. Just that the original LaL happened to have a cool design compared to what most run-of-the-mill 1990s RPGs would come up with and this one didn't have the talent/inspiration etc to rise above a generic design. Outside of a bit disappointing design though, nice capstone to the story and it seems like the original ending would have been a little underwhelming without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

miasmacloud posted:

\

As for the dungeon, it's pretty much what the others said. You just had to guess or go down the list and use every single move lol.

That seems really dumb. What's even the point?

I guess you might not have the moves to break some of them if you missed them but seems like a very tedious way to do it.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 19, 2022