Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The remake is very good so far. I like how the menu shows your party members chilling out in your current environment, it’s a cool touch. It seems like a pretty faithful remake with just better combat ui and updated graphics, which is good because I thought the original was up there as one of the better snes rpgs.

The climax of the near future chapter is still cool as hell. It definitely benefits from the updated presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm stuck early in the Wild West chapter, no matte how much milk I drink, this outlaw just keeps getting me more. I've had like 30 cups and he won't stop. this can't be healthy :(

They call him “The Sundown Kid” because of all the dairy farms that had to shut down after he drank all their milk!!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Unlucky7 posted:

Did not remember that there was a sidequest where you recruit one of the kids to steal your caretaker's savings. Kinda makes the character a bit of a poo poo.

That’s one of the bits they changed. In the original you were stealing her panties.

Not hard to see why they changed it, but the new version does feel kind of weird in its own way.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
While it’s nice to have the fertility charm, I found it was better to heal with the meat from hunting when you can. The charge time on the charm is long enough that there were a couple times that using it meant the boss was able to put fire tiles down and heal from them before I could get a chance to stop him. Meat is instant, and the large one is an aoe full heal.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

EclecticTastes posted:

I wonder if there's some easy way to just, like, see a bunch of people's reactions to the Live A Live remake, who have never encountered the original, collated conveniently. Like, half of why this remake is so exciting for me is the thought of all the people experiencing it for the first time.

Checking the past broadcasts for Live A Live on twitch might be your best bet, if you can put up with the facecams and “thank you new subscriber”s and donation soundbites. First and/or blind playthroughs generally get called out in the stream title.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Akira is probably the weakest of the protagonists if you’re ranking them in order, if only because his niche (being the best at aoe damage) is less useful in boss fights, but he’s still pretty good.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also 20 save slots is too few. Do you not gain anything from keeping clear data saves from previous chapters so long as you have a later save that includes it? I kind of figured it mattered since each chapter's saves appear in the select menu.

No, you can just keep saving over your old one. I did my 100% playthrough with a single save slot that way.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
The disciples all learn unique level up moves past the shared Earthen Hearn ones. Yun gets some decent single target fire and ice attacks, the only player-available null-element attack, and a really high damage aoe with a long charge time. Not sure what Hong gets.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 8, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Unlucky7 posted:

The line you mention was during what is basically a villainous rant, so in context at the time the player would view it either as a lie or a half truth at best (though ultimately, given what happens afterward, there may be something to it). As mentioned upthread before, it is hard to tell how much Oersted knew about Streibough and the Princess, and it ultimately doesn't matter because he did not care.

I think it does change things if Streibough outright said "Hey Oersted please let me have the princess, we're in love" and Oersted ignored it vs it just being some quiet resentment that he never picked up on.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
No, not the inventory items. Just equipment.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
You shouldn’t need to grind much to beat King Mammoth, most of the crazy preparation is people who want a fast and easy kill because they’re trying to farm him over and over until they get the rare drop.

But also King Mammoth is probably the hardest bonus boss relative to your party strength when you fight them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Yes, you need to kill her and miss the medicine box for 100 kills. I don’t remember any acknowledgement for a 100 kill run, unless it causes some minor dialogue change in the final chapter or something. There’s definitely no reward for it. A mixed run is best if you’re just trying to minmax rewards.