Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Heya! Finally started the game yesterday and it's been a blast: I tried the SNES translation but was turned away by the SNES limitations, so this remake is a successful attempt IMO.

That said I have a question about Prehistory: Is it ok to fight King Mammoth at 12-13 instead of 16? Exp is starting to dry up. And what would be the best move outise of the Ultimate to use? Obv going with best equipment, Rock of Rocks + 4 pretty flowers for SpAtt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh yeah, level 12 was enoguh. Obv the biggest problem was Poke Bind missing and thus the boss getting off attacks, but as long as I throw the poop and get some heals my damage was enough. Hell, Poke Bind was doing 70~ VS the 110~ from jumping.

Of course the problem is getting the drop :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On the Near Future chapter, are there any must haves for the final chapter through item enhancing? What's the best equipmwnt you can get?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just to check, to the final chapters you only transfer what your characters are wearing right? For now my Pogo has the best equipment on the left side/Rock of Rocks/King Fang/Cola/Fertility charm/Pretty flower. Though idk if I saved over the final save I made on the chapter...Sundown has the frying pan, Yun had the best gear I had and Masaru/Qube don't matter.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SettingSun posted:

You get everything in the remake, even other party member's gear.

Even the inventory items? Cause I'd love those 500 HP AOE heal meats.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

In retrospect I should have done more crafting in Prehistory then but oh well.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Einander posted:

I'm going to break from tradition here and say that none of the robot accessories are very good. Cube's always going to be one of your least effective attackers and the robot accessories aren't really going to change that, so his turns are better spent healing or using items. Make a couple with any attack items you get and then don't spend much more time thinking about it.

(It's also not important for the chapter itself, since the one normal boss fight is a gimmick fight.)

The other Near-Future equipment also isn't that impressive compared to other stuff available in the final chapter, so make Akira some decent gear and then leave it there.

I gotta say at least for this chapter the robot acc are great? Chick Shot is an OHKO on whatever it hits and given it's full of Leader enemies a long range 1 shot is great.

Also 2 more questions:

a)While the remake is clearer I'm still confused about Physcial and Special split. Is it just "Punch, Kick, Agile, Grapple are Phys, Elemental are Spe"?

b)Checking out an upgrade guide I saw you can upgrade accesories to get some things like a Magic Pendant or a Golden Hairpin. But I haven't seen any accesories yet. Am I missing them or are they rare drops?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

EclecticTastes posted:

So, the upgrade chart was originally compiled with the help of Gameshark to just dump all the items for Akira's chapter into the guide creator's inventory. Nobody knows where to find most of the accessories as a result. However, the Abnormal Pearl (not sure what it's called in the remake) is a rare drop from one of the street encounter groups (I've literally only seen in drop in YappingEevee's LP, though), and the MK Badge (renamed the Poop Patrol Badge) can drop from the black-suited security guards in the lab. In any case, the two are of equal value, as the Coral Ring and Gold Hairpin are the only items worth making on that part of the chart (the Punk's Armband, if anyone could find it, is pretty good without being upgraded at all).

Yeah, I ended up getting one of each. That said the Pearl is noticeable that it doesn't upgrade into anything. I just got a hairpin and went on.

Now onto the Ninja chapter... Now, obviously the logical thing on a first run is to just go and not try to go for pacifist/mass murder until you get your bearings, but there's one detail I found weird: Is it possible to fight everyone's favourite Japanese saint Amakusa on the Pacifist run? Since if you beat him you recruit the prisoner and recruiting the prisoner forces you into fighting some guys later.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

HGH posted:

Nope, not possible. Those are two 100% conflicting instances. It's really weird that you just never run into him despite being in the chapter intro and he's still there in the credits but eh, they can't customize everything.

I'm guessing it's that the expected route is that you'll kill some people but not fully (you can't get the Genji Gloves in pacifost either) and there's 0 reason not to try and rescue the prisoner besides foreknowledge you need to wait. The whole "don't rescue your objective or you'll be forced to kill!" is dumb anyways.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

EclecticTastes posted:

This isn't actually true, IIRC. If you're really bad at teaching your student, they could end up with more than one empty level during the training montage portion of the chapter (during which learning personal skills is disabled), in which case they will permanently miss out on any moves they hadn't learned by that point, as they never learn anything past 16. Not sure if it's still true in the remake, but it's very true in the SNES version. It's actually quite common to permanently miss Unseen Bow's Arrow (you may actually need to trigger it at some point during the chapter for it to be flagged as learnable).

Of course, I could be completely misremembering because it's been about a decade since I last played the game for the first time, which was the only time I risked missing anything.

From what I've gathered the remake fixes this, I think the problem in SNES is that you can't learn 2 moves in one level, but I got both Unseen Arrow and Yun's ice move. (Also apparently you can learn moves in the temple raid now if you couldn't in SNES).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, finished the Japan chapter. 0 kills and managed to beat the superboss at lv 10 (and the second one at 11l. Who is the true player, guides that go around levelling to 16 for every single boss?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just finished Middle Ages. What a chapter :smith:

Now onto the final chapter... I'd say I'll go with Pogo? He's my highest levelled protagonist, has good variety of elements, AOE attacks and has the Cola Bottle if I get mad. Also I want to see how whatever little dialog there is goes with a MC that knows one word :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, ended up going with that and it's been fun. But man the random encounters are being a downer, even with fleeing from most to get to the superboss sooner. Only 3 trials and that left before going to the Roost.

On that note, for the good ending boss battles, do I have to give some gear to my 3 leftover characters or can they coast with just their ult weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finished the game with the true ending. Overall really liked it and a well done remake, even though they could have updated a but more stuff, mostly in the final chapter (a way to control the encounter rate and reducing the number of flees to find Death Prophet That poo poo made the endgame drag a lot.

That said, I really loved what they added to the ending: the fight with Sin of Odio, GIGAlomania, aoersted redemption and Pogo hugging Oersted... I actually got a tear in the eye.

That said I doubt I will repeat that hell with every other character just for the stars, so that's the end of Live a Live! See you later, you inspirational jewel.