Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Completed the Edo Japan and China chapters. I previously completed the Near Future chapter way back in the day, with the creaky old fan translation that was eventually replaced, so I am leaving that for later. Game is real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I figured it would have been impossible to do a true pacifist run on Edo Japan. Definitely going to do a kill em all run at some point.

Also *Insufferable nerd voice* this game is totally ripping off Undertale *Head explodes Scanners style due to the concentrated indignation of countless Millennial gamers*

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Started on Near Future because I wanted to know if the theme had vocals for the remake. I was not disappointed.

Did not remember that there was a sidequest where you recruit one of the kids to steal your caretaker's savings. Kinda makes the character a bit of a poo poo.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Snake Maze posted:

That’s one of the bits they changed. In the original you were stealing her panties.

Not hard to see why they changed it, but the new version does feel kind of weird in its own way.

I forgot this was made in the 90s, so of course there was ”Good Natured” sexual harassment. :ughh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maybe that should be behind spoiler tags :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just finished the Far Future chapter, and it is in the running for my favorite chapter in the game. That said there was one black mark I have on it (big spoilers): where Rachel picks up the “stupid and goddamned crazy” ball again out of nowhere to run out of the rec room against the behemoth. I know by that point it has gone full horror movie, and someone is bound to do something dumb but it still felt kind of out of nowhere and it came too soon after her first freak out. I can only justify it as her realizing that the thing could be eating Kirks corpse, maybe

Also, I think I may have did an unintentional skip, where after the first Rec room scene I went to Rachel and then met her on the bridge, which kicked off everything, instead of going to Kato in the computer room. Probably missed a couple of scenes there. Not that it felt that stuff was missing; just interesting and weird

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

EclecticTastes posted:

Final Fantasy 7 wasn't for another three years, and Earthbound's graphics are often cited as one of the reasons it failed compared to other SNES games released that year (other factors included a bad marketing campaign and the higher price point it had due to coming with an included guidebook).

The point is that the whole tragic chain of events was set in motion because the captain lost faith in his team long before the computer went crazy. It was because he'd given up on them that OD-10 decided it was necessary to take matters into their own hands. It's a tragic postscript that underlines that the true enemy was never the rogue AI, but rather the crew's inability to overcome their differences.

What is the password for the dynamics in the computer room? I want to check it out while I have the auto save at the end of the chapter

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am in the middle of the Final Chapter and with all the improvements letting it shine it feels simultaneously ahead of its time and of its time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question on the Final Chapter: i found a full party (Started with Oboro, got Akira, Pogo and Masaru). Is it possible to find any more protagonists? I did find Cube but he needed a part I haven found yet.)

Also I could do it a way to make battles faster if they are going to force Random Encounters :(

Edit: At least running away is 100% effective. And I got Akiras ultimate weapon it looks like!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 27, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

You can and should recruit every character.

It looks like every character has an associated endgame dungeon. If I decide to switch out a character (found Yun. Yeah I know…), will I find the other character where I originally found them?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, looks like I got the True ending down. That was one heck of a game...

Only thing now is to play the Final Chapter as Oerstead :unsmigghh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
(Endgame spoilers) I kind of love that this game, after 7 chapters of a nonstandard settings, then uses all the trappings of Dragon Quest to tell what is essentially an Anti-JRPG story.

I was a bit disappointed to see that if you went back to the beginning of the Medieval chapter and throw the fight with Streighbogh in the intro you only get a standard Game Over. But then that is not that surprising.

I wonder how much this game had silently influenced games ever since it was originally released. I had joked about Undertale before but I can see some of the ideas there being planted here.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fedule posted:

spoiler thoughts

I completely agree that the random encounters in the Medieval chapter, that one weird section where you are literally aimless, and both of those carrying over to the final chapter kind of sucks the air out of those sections, though they do not ruin them. It is a trapping of JRPGs and very deliberate, but it is still not that fun to play through.

True Ending question: If you play as Cube, will you be able to give Ornsted a cup of coffee? For better or worse the guy kinda earned it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 28, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have to admit (Imperial China) I ended up with Yun as my disciple because I did not know about the mechanic and wanted to give the guy a bit of help in training. He did grow on me eventually but one of these days I should play through choosing Lei instead.

Kind of weird that I am seeing a couple of people calling the dub bad. I mean, yeah, it is goofy in places, and I am sure the JP is better in those places and others besides (I mean, c'mon Tomokazu Sugita is 4 characters here), but I calling it bad is a stretch.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 28, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I loved Prehistory other than the spot of grinding that I needed to do at the end, but then I am of simple tastes and enjoy physical comedy and fart jokes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One can be intelligent and/or skilled and still be a huge idiot. See Neil Degrasse Tyson

Also, Far Future is one of my favorites, if not the favorite, in the game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

miasmacloud posted:

The localization: I thought the English localization was great. "Your mother." Tho admittedly during the Middle Ages, when I realized everyone was talking in iambic pentameter my eyes kinda glazed over and I just started listening to the Japanese audio. I noticed that Streibough/Straybow saying "I begged you to lose to me in the tournament for love but you were too greedy" wasn't in the Japanese audio. I guess that changes how you perceive Oersted? I feel it's a weird rewrite after how Oersted criticizes himself in the various protagonist endings that I've seen so far, but I'm not really that fussed about it. One of the things I noticed on other parts of the internet is people saying S-E's localization was wrong because Aeon's fan tl said something else, which is hilarious.

The line you mention was during what is basically a villainous rant, so in context at the time the player would view it either as a lie or a half truth at best (though ultimately, given what happens afterward, there may be something to it). As mentioned upthread before, it is hard to tell how much Oersted knew about Streibough and the Princess, and it ultimately doesn't matter because he did not care.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Last Celebration posted:

Endgame: i suppose in retrospect fighting Oerstied to the death after he loses his ominous aura was possibly a bad idea and not the way to the true ending, but in my defense I just figured it was a “but thou must” deal after I said no the first time and the prompt appeared again after going to talk to him. Aw well, that’s about twenty minutes of my life pissed away!

Have you checked if there was an auto save after the fight?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

EclecticTastes posted:

Using the poke to keep King Mammoth stunned should give you the best odds, but it'll still be an uphill battle. The best move in that case is the jump attack that deals recoil damage on a miss. Stun prevents attacks from missing, so you'll be dealing maximum damage with no risk. It'll require a bit more luck, since you'll need the stun to stick a few more times, but the jump attack can be done at range, so you're not at risk of KM using the lava explosion the second the stun wears off, at least.

Also, finally made my way to the remake's Final Chapter and I'm gonna double down on saying that the AG fan translation of the SNES version remains a must-play, because both versions of Oersted's final chapter have their own unique strong points. Oersted's delivery in the remake is excellent, and the Armageddon Ending gets one hell of a glow-up (no pun intended), but I think a lot of the speeches come off better in the SNES version. I think because they're more direct, they have a bit more punch to them than the more flowery renditions in the remake. That tends to be the defining difference in the writing, is that the more verbose prose improves a lot of the normal dialog, but many of the more hard-hitting lines have their impact softened by it, compared to the AG versions.

I do like Oersted's final lines in his version of the Final Chapter: "Believe in me!". One part victory cry, and other part cry for help from the man that he used to have been.

Item Getter posted:

Speaking of the Psychic Biker Mecha Pilot, I think it's a little strange that they chose to end his chapter with the cliche sort of "It was all just a dream.... or was it???" type ending, but I guess it all really happened anyway since Odeo is placed on the same boss-rush pantheon as all the other Odios and Akira keeps all of his items from the chapter etc. And all that is basically mandated by the larger structure of the game, which makes you wonder why they chose to end the chapter that way at all. Granted I haven't tried selecting him as the final chapter protagonist so not sure if it's addressed there.

I kind of feel that the last third of Akira's chapter kind of collapses upon itself, where the revelations aren't really given enough air to breath, if they even make sense at all. At least you got to pilot a giant robot! :v:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

EclecticTastes posted:

The new version kind of implies he was possessed by a "real" demon lord of some sort that was just attracted to Oersted's hate, but I choose to believe that it was just his own hatred given form, the cognitive dissonance caused by his defeat, as well as the dark power of Odio, forcing all of his inner darkness (his sins) to manifest independently of him, needing to be struck down before he could be freed.

My read was that it wasn't so much Oersted himself as it was the last bit of Goodness, the man he was, prying itself out of the monster that he became to strike himself down.