Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Lucid dreams are pretty cool, but I've only had them a couple of times. Do you guys have them usually? It's so cool being able to control stuff in a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Yes.

And what is funny is I am a prone sleepwalker. Which has freaked out my brother and myself. He has caught me numerous times being up grabbing a drink of water and then choking on it while I am trying to talk in my sleep.

CPAP Machine is coming my way in the near future. :(

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Yes, nearly every night. Sometimes I perceive the dream to last about a week.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Life is kind of a waking nightmare, so sorta.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve had the classic “realize you can fly if you tuck your legs up behind your knees” dream

and have taken it as far as to then assume a superman pose and start zooming before remembering that no, I can’t fly, and crash into the bed and wake up

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't have lucid dreams but sometimes I have dreams that are weirdly prescient, like once I had a barely-remembered dream where a doctor told me "You need to raise your pH" and then I woke up feeling extremely sick. I remembered that line from the dream and started googling and every symptom I was feeling matched up with excess stomach acid so I took an antacid and then felt better, and that's how I eventually found out I have a bunch of hereditary stomach acid bullshit problems. It was memorable because it's not like I had any previous knowledge of those symptoms or would have linked them to stomach acid, the only reason that even came up for me was because the doctor in the dream said it

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think all of my dreams are lucid. I always understand it's a dream, but I find it's a more enjoyable experience to just lean into the madness rather than try to control things.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
No, I would be asleep right now if I could do that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

waking moments are a false reality and lucid dreams offer a fleeting glimpse of truth

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also, no i do not have them

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I don’t normally have lucid dreams, but when I do I head straight to the zoo and gently caress giraffe.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

No but I've just started trying.

I did become lucid exactly once that I can remember, and it startled me into waking up, which sucked.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There was a stretch of time when I had hyperrealistic flying dreams, I still remember the exact nonexistent muscles I could flex to soar above trees and houses.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't dream at night because I LIVE my dreams by day

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
I’ve had a few where I realized I was dreaming, but then thought maybe I’m just high or something.

Better just be cool, I think to myself while traveling down the highway on a skateboard.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

There was a stretch of time when I had hyperrealistic flying dreams, I still remember the exact nonexistent muscles I could flex to soar above trees and houses.

Ever fly in for Subtember at Subway?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

no but I did used to have sleep paralysis a lot when I was younger, that loving sucked.

also within the last couple of years I've had a couple of times where I'm dreaming and in the dream I can't breathe properly and I'm pretty sure it's when I've rolled into a weird position and can't breathe irl or something. I probably have sleep apnea

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I had them a lot as a kid. It didn't really give me much control over them and usually wake up soon after the realization hit. Same story as an adult, it just happens far less frequently.

naem posted:

I’ve had the classic “realize you can fly if you tuck your legs up behind your knees” dream

and have taken it as far as to then assume a superman pose and start zooming before remembering that no, I can’t fly, and crash into the bed and wake up

I had no idea other people had this dream.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is that when you cum?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes I have lurid dreams

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I had to learn how to lucid dream as a kid due to the constant nightmares from abuse inflicted by my preschool. It is the only way I could get sleep, even if it wasn't particularly restful. Thanks for asking!

If you'd like to lucid dream more I recommend making a habit of checking in on whether you are awake during the day. Flipping light switches and taking note whether the light level changed is one common way to tell. Once it is a habit you'll keep checking while you are asleep and once you know you are asleep you can start training your mind to do cool stuff.

Edit: I can fly but it took a lot of practice. It started with skipping without touching the ground and has progressed to being able to fly up to 30 feet off the ground. I don't like going above the treeline, you are just too exposed and vulnerable if you go too high up.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 23, 2022

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Sometimes and thats how I know im a bad person because I go westworld on those stupid dream npcs

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I'm lucid dreaming right now that I'm in a lucid dreaming thread in a dead gay forum. And choosing to make it worse with this post.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I think I have once or twice. When it happened, I just kinda went this is a dream. And the dream progressed as normal. At least as normal as dreams do

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm lucid dreaming right now that I'm in a lucid dreaming thread in a dead gay forum. And choosing to make it worse with this post.

:siren:Don’t wake up you’ll kill us all!!!:siren:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

sometimes I have lurid dreams

you had very vivid in color, especially so as to create an unpleasantly harsh or unnatural effect.
"lurid food colorings" dreams?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yes, I have them all the time. I’ve had a recurring dream ever since I was little of free-falling in an elevator, and I can stop the runaway elevator and tell myself to wake up so I don’t freak out like I’m in a nightmare, which I used to do.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

Yes, I have them all the time. I’ve had a recurring dream ever since I was little of free-falling in an elevator, and I can stop the runaway elevator and tell myself to wake up so I don’t freak out like I’m in a nightmare, which I used to do.

That's just a nightmare my dude. Lucid dreaming is controlling your dream so you could stop the elevator and send in any direction like Willy Wonka

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
A tip I heard:

DMT (in very small amounts) is responsible for creating realistic sensations, like feeling a wall for example, in your dreams.

To help keep from waking up, try rubbing your hands together. The sensation it creates in your dream will cause your brain to produce more DMT, and will help you stay asleep and dreaming.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bula Vinaka posted:

A tip I heard:

DMT (in very small amounts) is responsible for creating realistic sensations, like feeling a wall for example, in your dreams.

To help keep from waking up, try rubbing your hands together. The sensation it creates in your dream will cause your brain to produce more DMT, and will help you stay asleep and dreaming.

What happens if I rub my dick? With both hands?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Then you might wake up, anything that creates a sense of extreme excitement of any kind can cause you to wake up.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
If you want to try to have lucid dreams, it might take some effort but:

Write down on a small piece of paper in sharpie "Is this a dream?", then put it in your pocket and check it every hour of every day. Eventually you will do this in your dream and when you check the paper, the letters will be distorted, or it will say something else.

This *still* might not do it, because most of your temporal lobes, which are responsible for logic and reasoning, are not functioning when you are dreaming.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bula Vinaka posted:

Then you might wake up, anything that creates a sense of extreme excitement of any kind can cause you to wake up.

that's why I don't do it in the waking hours. Too much excitement

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I used to. Like a different poster I trained myself to do it to stop having constant nightmares. The way I did it was just diligently keeping a dream journal. For some reason that made me start lucid dreaming. I can still remember the dreams I wrote down almost thirty years later, too.

I also had night terrors as a child, glad I aged out of those. I bet my husband is real glad too. My parents had to move the deadbolt on our front door up out of my reach. Must have been annoying as poo poo to have a kid running around sleep screaming at night.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I've been really cutting down on drinking the past two weeks and I've gotten some crazy rear end dreams every night.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

I've been really cutting down on drinking the past two weeks and I've gotten some crazy rear end dreams every night.

pansy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Now I only drink 28-35 beers a week instead of uhhhhhhh.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

That's just a nightmare my dude. Lucid dreaming is controlling your dream so you could stop the elevator and send in any direction like Willy Wonka

Did… did you even read my post?

You Are A Elf posted:

I can stop the runaway elevator and tell myself to wake up

It’s like I’m looking directly at the camera of my dream while the elevator is stopped and telling myself to wake up.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

Did… did you even read my post?

It’s like I’m looking directly at the camera of my dream while the elevator is stopped and telling myself to wake up.

No. was I supposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

Now I only drink 28-35 beers a week instead of uhhhhhhh.

4-5 a week.
Good numbers