Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thank you both :) So, this could be foreshadowing that Papa Viking isn't a goner :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah I was thinking that with Chieftain surviving that impossible fall that he'd been chosen by that demon from the dream or something.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The flying fight was nuts.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, after Dad Viking survived falling what looked like hundreds of feet and hitting every possible obstacle on the way down, I'm not ready to believe we've seen the last of him just because he slumped underwater for a second.

:same:

At the very least I think he sticks around long enough to be the one to hurt the eggs and that's the sad finale ending :negative:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

efb: Sniped :).

Mira draws something that looks like him when explaining her backstory to Spear. I'll add that I think she implied that they were taking the slaves to him, or there was some other indicator of "he's a really bad dude."

I didn't get any impression that that shape was anything other than her representation of the Vikings. The fire-god vision of the chieftain is clearly why they like that helmet shape, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Mira draws something that looks like him when explaining her backstory to Spear. I'll add that I think she implied that they were taking the slaves to him, or there was some other indicator of "he's a really bad dude."

Apparently she speaks Lebanese Arabic and there's translations out there of what she said:

quote:

We lived far from the world, a land farway and full of joy. My family, my heart. One day they arrived at night they defeated us, burned the town and killed a lot of us, Few manged to escape, they took us far from our home to a sad land full of darkness and cold and we became slaves then they took us somewhere else to sell us for some trade I manged to escape and landed here in your land

E: also the figure she drew seemed to be holding a sword and I'm guessing that the Satan dude doesn't need a sword??

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 20, 2022

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
This show has more dramatic action and storytelling tension in one episode than most seasons of other shows.

Just a masterpiece.

I love the little bits of mysticism that get woven into what is a realistic world. The demon in the fire, the black liquid from the monkey death-cult are just fascinating. Is there a name for this kind of genre? Conan and the odd MST3K episode are my only real exposures to this style.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 20, 2022

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

The black goo is Aku :tinfoil:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Crazy Ferret posted:

This show has more dramatic action and storytelling tension in one episode than most seasons of other shows.

Just a masterpiece.

I love the little bits of mysticism that get woven into what is a realistic world. The demon in the fire, the black liquid from the monkey death-cult are just fascinating. Is there a name for this kind of genre? Conan and the odd MST3K episode are my only real exposures to this style.

Sword and sorcery, maybe?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus that sure was a hell of an episode.

I love how in just about every episode there's one (1) moment of :hmbol: humor; in this one it's Fang swatting Spear away from the eggs and Mira giving her a "yeah gurl" look

I'm no super boatsman but I have one question: how does one go from "sailing across the open ocean" to "sailing down a river with a swiftly increasing current"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Jesus that sure was a hell of an episode.

I love how in just about every episode there's one (1) moment of :hmbol: humor; in this one it's Fang swatting Spear away from the eggs and Mira giving her a "yeah gurl" look

I'm no super boatsman but I have one question: how does one go from "sailing across the open ocean" to "sailing down a river with a swiftly increasing current"

That was pretty jarring, but I think the correct super boatsman-grade answer is "Shut up, nerd."

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Crazy Ferret posted:

Just a masterpiece.

I'd say it's low fantasy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Crazy Ferret posted:

Just a masterpiece.

I've been thinking of it as caveman pulp fantasy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I've been thinking of it as caveman pulp fantasy.

If Spear and Fang somehow ended up on Barsoom, I'd be on board.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Spear is going to change his name to Sword

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/ZQ63ETW0Izc

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Awesome. Glad I was wrong about Viking being done.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Spear's WAAAAUGH! of joyous comprehension when he figures out what Fang is doing

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Data Graham posted:

I got the impression that the village was on the edge of a really big lake or bay that they were hoping to use to get to the open ocean itself, but what with the fog and battle wound up going the wrong way

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm going to learn a lesson from Coven of the Damned and guess that this next episode is going to be Elder being condemned in the afterlife.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Genndy Tartar Saucy, because everything he touches becomes more tasty

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I've never minded the gratuitous violence but what always gets me is when someone smashes their head into a rock. Jesus that gives me shivers.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Keep-away is a very dangerous game.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:lol: this season rules

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This show… I went from wanting Fang to gently caress up the big guy after the egg smashed to feeling bad for him in just… 2 minutes…

I hope they team up on a jailbreak.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

*extremely Pace Picante Sauce ad voice*: BIG BOAT CITY?!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Zero One posted:

This show… I went from wanting Fang to gently caress up the big guy after the egg smashed to feeling bad for him in just… 2 minutes…

I hope they team up on a jailbreak.

I feel that's something worth putting a spoiler warning over for those of us outside of the US timezone. It isn't even up on All4 right now, at 3pm BST.

I did see the preview on YouTube, and thought how much slaughter that we, the audience, would be happy to put up with in defence of Fang's eggs. I think the thread is almost unanimous in that the Vikings finally got to the Found Out stage of 'loving around and finding out', I don't know if that'll be the same for these pseudo-Middle Kingdoms Egyptians.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I love how this show just does it's take on a Conan Hyborean Age kind of thing, the world is obviously continuing it's Civ style progress while you really had an isolated world/island where Spear and Fang are from. That not-Egyptian lady is really gonna get her comeuppance and it will be tooth gnashing glorious. Neat to see invasion of what looks to be Ottoman/Byzantine land and Spear and Fang just relishing in just being in battle, Elder Slaver Viking visiting essentially what looked to be Surtur and getting imbued with fire is going to be pretty dope. I do wonder if those mythical powers and influence go beyond everyone's realms/islands. I also liked how pretty much he was denied Paradise for being a piece of poo poo slaver and seeing his son in the lava river Styx along with other village members

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Jiro posted:

I love how this show just does it's take on a Conan Hyborean Age kind of thing, the world is obviously continuing it's Civ style progress while you really had an isolated world/island where Spear and Fang are from. That not-Egyptian lady is really gonna get her comeuppance and it will be tooth gnashing glorious. Neat to see invasion of what looks to be Ottoman/Byzantine land and Spear and Fang just relishing in just being in battle, Elder Slaver Viking visiting essentially what looked to be Surtur and getting imbued with fire is going to be pretty dope. I do wonder if those mythical powers and influence go beyond everyone's realms/islands. I also liked how pretty much he was denied Paradise for being a piece of poo poo slaver and seeing his son in the lava river Styx along with other village members

Maybe I'm wrong but I took it more as a Babylonian inspired land, the beards, armor etc. of the soldiers and the general building style certainly seemed to imply that (not that it matters much, this show is certainly very lose with anything historical).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

LinkesAuge posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I took it more as a Babylonian inspired land, the beards, armor etc. of the soldiers and the general building style certainly seemed to imply that (not that it matters much, this show is certainly very lose with anything historical).

Yeah they were Babylonian or Assyrian-inspired, near as I can tell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Definitely, straight out of Darius era.

And the emperor who briefly appeared had real sympathetic-good-guy vibes, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out between them and the clearly evil Egyptians

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
You know I say this every time there's a new episode but man this show loving rules.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I hope we see Spear and Fang decked out in some Egyptian armor.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ha ha that dumb Viking bitch got Yamaha’d.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As violent as the show ever gets, the most brutal thing every week is seeing those names getting cropped out in the end credits.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jiro posted:

I also liked how pretty much he was denied Paradise for being a piece of poo poo slaver and seeing his son in the lava river Styx along with other village members

I think I need to warch more movies because it just kept me thinking about the South Park movie

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like that the show is expanding it's workd but I hope they keep the dialogue to a minimum. It would be pretty cool if they had no subtitles until Fan or Mira learned the language.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

World Murder Tour

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Well this is going to be a long week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted: