Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Michael Cera was the most uncanny valley casting possible for an already weak main character, who author Brian Lee O'Malley even called his roleplay fantasy of being a cute hipster white Canadian

every supporting character is more interesting and redeemable than Scott, which saves the movie because Edgar Wright couldn't afford to linger on Cera *all the time* so you get great realizations of Stephen Stills and Kim Pine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI0xsw3x7EY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I thought that was the whole fuckin' purpose of the thing?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Edgar Wright knows that he's supposed to be a poo poo. In the commentary stuff he points out all the different ways that he points out that he's a "zero"

Edit: Ohwait I'm just drunk and you're saying the exact thing that I'm thinking.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah, he's supposed to be a nasty little poo poo. There's a reason they focus so much on him being a grown man dating a teenager.

Unfortunately being a movie, it's too short to give justice to his character arc from the comic, where he realizes how bad he is and tries to change for the better

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Every time Michael Cera is cast, he has to rely on the support cast to make the movie not suck OP.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

God that movie's pretty fuckin' rad, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y69gQtAdHKc

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Watch the Hot Ones with Michael Cera and its pretty hard not to come out liking the guy. He seems really funny and nice.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've never seen the movie. I don't even know who Scott Pilgrim is. :smuggo:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yars revenge getting the remake. Bzzzt.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
This movie is actually very good and has an absurd amount of talent in it. There's a shitload of craft that went into the movie. Edgar Wright clearly loved the art of the book and it really shows

but yeah Scott Pilgrim is an rear end in a top hat and maybe the movie didn't perfectly spell that out but thats fine because the comic took like a thousand pages of punching the reader in the face

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

Watch the Hot Ones with Michael Cera and its pretty hard not to come out liking the guy. He seems really funny and nice.

Yeah, I liked Cera in Arrested Development and This is the End. He seems like a decent actor and was well-cast for the poorly-adapted part of Scott. Wright is awesome at making nerd-friendly movies and considers himself a geek, and he has way too much empathy/sympathy for nerd guys represented by movie Scott. I was aghast in the theater because I know from experience that nobody likes that kind of indulgent person, loving *nobody*. That dork would be run off SA to start 4chan, unlike book Scott who's obviously a secret stoner who'd totally make music for my game projects while we hang out as BFFs

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

Yeah, I liked Cera in Arrested Development and This is the End. He seems like a decent actor and was well-cast for the poorly-adapted part of Scott. Wright is awesome at making nerd-friendly movies and considers himself a geek, and he has way too much empathy/sympathy for nerd guys represented by movie Scott. I was aghast in the theater because I know from experience that nobody likes that kind of indulgent person, loving *nobody*. That dork would be run off SA to start 4chan, unlike book Scott who's obviously a secret stoner who'd totally make music for my game projects while we hang out as BFFs

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.
It's just a hipster version of the classic character arch about an insecure young man who grows to have respect for himself and stop being so insecure and depending on others. It's a trope that's as old as it gets.
As was mentioned above: The movie isn't as good as, say, the actual manga, either. Which you should read if you have not because it's a much better way to digest the story than a movie where a lot of corners had to be cut and liberties were taken by the directors, etc etc.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ironically Cera was already too good at bass to portray Scott correctly, so he un-practiced while the rest of the cast learned music for the first time

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
OP next time consider making a thread about actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead instead of actor Michael "tri" Cera "tops".

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

OP next time consider making a thread about actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead instead of actor Michael "tri" Cera "tops".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNO8x_XvyTA

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

that movie sucks poo poo op

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I saw that movie and theaters and it seemed like the obvious point of the ending at the time

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It stars gross jerk Spacey but I loved Wright and Cera's Baby Driver

Scott Pilgrim movie is too compressed.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't like Scott Pilgrim for what he did to Scott Indian.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Some rag called Michael Cera and Charlyne Yi Hollywood's least attractive and least influential couple.

I lol'd.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i remember watching the movie on netflix 5 or so years ago and nothing else about it. it wasn't that interesting or memorable. but i do believe you op.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i had a roommate in college for 1 semester before he flunked out that rewatched this movie on an almost daily basis on his laptop in our living room, and constantly asked if we wanted to watch it with him

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

it's all bad op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i had a roommate in college for 1 semester before he flunked out that rewatched this movie on an almost daily basis on his laptop in our living room, and constantly asked if we wanted to watch it with him

lol you ignored a cry for help

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MassiveSky posted:

Some rag called Michael Cera and Charlyne Yi Hollywood's least attractive and least influential couple.

I lol'd.

that poo poo was a prank

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Did he also try to make you play cards against humanity?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

kntfkr posted:

Did he also try to make you play cards against humanity?

didn't come out until the next semester. but i see him host cards against humanity streams on twitch all the time, thanks Facebook

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Miserable Maid posted:

Yeah, he's supposed to be a nasty little poo poo. There's a reason they focus so much on him being a grown man dating a teenager.

Unfortunately being a movie, it's too short to give justice to his character arc from the comic, where he realizes how bad he is and tries to change for the better

The movie wouldn't have done that even if they had enough time to do it because action movies have to be 100% power fantasy where the hero is never wrong and is allowed to act as awful as the target demographic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The editing in that movie was loving masterclass. Wright's films have such a wonderful beat to them and his editors make them sing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79SxL85wHkA

The original ending was so much better than the theatrical ending. It is thematically better than the tacked on bullshit they had. Except Knives should have dumped his rear end too.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I thought this entire movie was annoying as gently caress. I respect the craft put into the editing to make it specifically catered to irritate the hell out of me though

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
As an editor I want to say Edgar Wright movies aren't what I'd call particularly good editing really. But they are strong examples of detailed previsualization and deliberate shot choice. Baby Driver for example had one way to cut every action scene that had been planned before anything was shot. The editor just had to paint by numbers for the parts where everyone noticed the editing.

I dunno, I don't like his movies so maybe that's a part of it, but I feel annoyed when people say they advance the art of editing or whatever. Good editing just means you come out of a movie saying it was a good story. I don't want to be too prescriptive but I don't like noticing editing, I like enjoying the movie without thinking about cuts and angles. And cutting to the beat of a music track is not the only way to interface your visuals with music.

To me, the most impressive editing is like, a documentary that worked with a thousand plus hours of footage, and it effortlessly tells a difficult story that carries you along with it. Or in fiction editing really it's just "was the story good". Maybe "was the movie good despite (bunch of bad problems in the script/shoot/direction/logistics)".

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

AARD VARKMAN posted:

didn't come out until the next semester. but i see him host cards against humanity streams on twitch all the time, thanks Facebook

the organism you encountered is what is know as a "reddit user"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Edgar Winter > Edgar Wright

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAb-7AWhqMM

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
scott pilgrim was the kind of thing that only worked in that time and place - you enjoyed it if you were a shiftless young 20-something in the 00s coming into adulthood

they don't even have smartphones in the first few volumes

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

truck truck truck

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

The beat em up game based on the manga was thoroughly disappointing as well. It's like dude, just copy Castle Crashers but they couldn't even hack that out. It's a shame because it's got great animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Also, is Metric worth doing a deep discography dive?