Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah metric owns :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Older albums are better imo although I don't think I've heard anything past 2017ish

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Metric just dropped a new album. Single was decent on it.

Metric is a group that I think is pretty good and I like their music but it never works it's way into my rotation for whatever reason.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
They just put out a pretty bad album. The one before that was too. I really only like Fantasies and Synthetica really

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The graphic novel wasn't all that good

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Emily Haines stuff is good outside of Metric too

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Who What Now posted:

The graphic novel wasn't all that good

None of it was, just like the early 00s. That's why nostalgia for it is rough. But the comics were better than the movie.

I mean c'mon, it was already itself a retro games & anime nostalgia comic. I thought a lot of the dumb visual gags, like the coins popping up from the ex-bfs, were funnier in comic format bc you could see em as kinda satirical bc Scott was a loser for being so much more connected to video games & their imagery than people, and then the movie was like, NAH HE IS COOL

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 25, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

the Bunt posted:

They just put out a pretty bad album. The one before that was too. I really only like Fantasies and Synthetica really

I loved Art of Doubt and hated Synthetica.

But I can agree that Fantasies is the poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do you think Edgar wright will ever have a single character in one of his movies that has any depth or is it live action cartoon poo poo forever?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe he'll wear a fat suit next time, how's that for depth?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

may the forum rise to meet your posts

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Should I watch The World’s End again? I’ve only seen it twice when it came out almost ten years ago and I remember very little of it. It didn’t capture my imagination or interest as well as the other two Cornetto films, but maybe I should give it another chance?

loving love me some Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, though.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNw7jYkbVc

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yo, if you're gonna listen to metric:

Old world underground, Live it Out and Grow up and blow away, I can heartily recommend. Kinda tuned out later stuff after i saw them at terminal 5, the worst venue of all time, but those albums are great. Emily Haines is so loving sexy.

This is the better version of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7lSn4RNqes

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Thot Pilgrim

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Michael cera channels RL toby McGuire in every rear end in a top hat role

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The greater good.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Older albums are better imo although I don't think I've heard anything past 2017ish

Art of Doubt is great and better than the previous

Also they released a new album like 2 weeks ago too

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty_LAi0dleU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Edgar Wright knows that he's supposed to be a poo poo. In the commentary stuff he points out all the different ways that he points out that he's a "zero"

Edit: Ohwait I'm just drunk and you're saying the exact thing that I'm thinking.

Well sober up, this is important

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

yeah

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

p' sure the river city ransom clone game was better than the movies or the comics....though I do find myself saying "I have a tiny world to save" pretty much every time I use a handheld console so I guess the comic has had the most lasting impact on me

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkmUy33S5PQ

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WaE2AKeQI

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I love Scott Pilgrim, Something Awful is a bully forum

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lt. Cock posted:

I love Scott Pilgrim, Something Awful is a bully forum

scott pilgrim isn't real seek help!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhJZrRV5YKo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked when Chris evans cracks his neck to the beats in the 20th century Fox music

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If you can't enjoy vegan police, I'm sorry you're sad.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyNF_l07Ts

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Never read the comic, didn't know there were games, but I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't mind-blowing or anything but it was enjoyable.

And yeah, you're meant to think Scott is a loser, that's kind of the thing.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
It's hard to think of Scott as a loser because he dated two girls before the story starts, one of which becomes a rockstar, and there are girls who pine for him as the story goes.
The target demographic for Scott Pilgrim is lonely videogame nerds, and to them that's an accomplishment.

Scott is meant to be a loser, but he's also a pretty successful one. So you can understand why people might miss the point on what kind of character he is supposed to be.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

As an editor I want to say Edgar Wright movies aren't what I'd call particularly good editing really. But they are strong examples of detailed previsualization and deliberate shot choice. Baby Driver for example had one way to cut every action scene that had been planned before anything was shot. The editor just had to paint by numbers for the parts where everyone noticed the editing.

I dunno, I don't like his movies so maybe that's a part of it, but I feel annoyed when people say they advance the art of editing or whatever. Good editing just means you come out of a movie saying it was a good story. I don't want to be too prescriptive but I don't like noticing editing, I like enjoying the movie without thinking about cuts and angles. And cutting to the beat of a music track is not the only way to interface your visuals with music.

To me, the most impressive editing is like, a documentary that worked with a thousand plus hours of footage, and it effortlessly tells a difficult story that carries you along with it. Or in fiction editing really it's just "was the story good". Maybe "was the movie good despite (bunch of bad problems in the script/shoot/direction/logistics)".

Haven’t laughed this hard since reading an interview with the mediocre nobody who did the Robocop 2 soundtrack and poo poo talked Basil Poledouris’ score for Robocop.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Sentinel Red posted:

Haven’t laughed this hard since reading an interview with the mediocre nobody who did the Robocop 2 soundtrack and poo poo talked Basil Poledouris’ score for Robocop.

I don''t really get your reference but this isn't controversial. If you like his movies you like movies with flashy, noticeable edits, but they don't have challenging or interesting editing work in them. The thing in Wright movies that draws attention to the visual cuts is the fact that he pre-vizes every little detail; they are triumphs of pre-viz. So during production, every setup and shot is intentional and planned to cover only its specific moment. From an editing standpoint that's inflexible - from a viewer's standpoint who likes the movie, cool, great, whatever. It's not objective science, we're talking about liking movies or not. Make sense?

I'm not making GBS threads on his movies, but from a craft standpoint they don't have anything interesting going on in the editing. They have a lot of other interesting stuff going on in other production areas. I'm also not making GBS threads on his editors, who have varied careers outside doing his movies. It's just a language thing, people talk about "editing" in his films when they can't be edited any other way. A different editor wouldn't be able to do anything different with them. It's more about visuals than editing.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Internet people got real weird about movie editing after that "star wars was saved by the edit" video went viral.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I don''t really get your reference but this isn't controversial. If you like his movies you like movies with flashy, noticeable edits, but they don't have challenging or interesting editing work in them. The thing in Wright movies that draws attention to the visual cuts is the fact that he pre-vizes every little detail; they are triumphs of pre-viz. So during production, every setup and shot is intentional and planned to cover only its specific moment. From an editing standpoint that's inflexible - from a viewer's standpoint who likes the movie, cool, great, whatever. It's not objective science, we're talking about liking movies or not. Make sense?

I'm not making GBS threads on his movies, but from a craft standpoint they don't have anything interesting going on in the editing. They have a lot of other interesting stuff going on in other production areas. I'm also not making GBS threads on his editors, who have varied careers outside doing his movies. It's just a language thing, people talk about "editing" in his films when they can't be edited any other way. A different editor wouldn't be able to do anything different with them. It's more about visuals than editing.

I Am Not a Filmmaker but I think you're describing the actual job of people paid as editors, while the public is describing the final product. Wright is making all the interesting/difficult editing decisions himself and leaving nothing creative to his hired editors, which sucks from a professional editor's perspective, but people like his taste in juxtaposing changes in visuals and sound. If he shot coverage on random stuff and the editor picked the shots we see then I'd credit the editor with good work.

Sometimes strong decisions resonate with consumers tired of rigid "best practices" that every professional defaults to, wether through management decree or playing things safe. I have the same issues in data visualization + web programming where the coder doesn't get any creative credit and nothing ever moves forward from industry local minima. Why were so many hollywood movies blue & orange for a while? It wasn't because Coloring professionals were lazy or bad in that generation

I'm really interested in what you think of Every Frame a Painting, because I'm tired of only hearing why it's great or how true his arguments are. If you disagree with certain things then that's a perspective I'm not gonna hear outside SA or some niche subreddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah metric owns :synpa:

hard agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwPs2P2T5Kc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kntfkr posted:

Edgar Winter > Edgar Wright