Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Bad Purchase posted:

Scott Pisscum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79SxL85wHkA

The original ending was so much better than the theatrical ending. It is thematically better than the tacked on bullshit they had. Except Knives should have dumped his rear end too.

Scott wanting to get back together with the underage girl he'd been dating would've been even worse since it undoes what little character growth he had.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Scott wanting to get back together with the underage girl he'd been dating would've been even worse since it undoes what little character growth he had.

Knives was too good for him anyways. If he ended up with anyone it had to be someone else who was a mess so they could figure it out.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Knives was also 17 while Scott was 22, which is definitely cool and not creepy at all.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the "half your age plus seven" rule that everyone always said when i was in high school has not aged well has it

e: oh, in scott's case that would've been 11 + 7 = 18 years, so 17 would be off limits. maybe the rule is solid after all.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 27, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do I have to do the condom talk?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
WARNING: I JUST WROTE A BUNCH OF UNFUNNY BULLSHIT DISSECTING COMEDY FILM TECHNIQUE, SKIP THIS IF YOU DON'T CARE

Analytic Engine posted:

I Am Not a Filmmaker but I think you're describing the actual job of people paid as editors, while the public is describing the final product. Wright is making all the interesting/difficult editing decisions himself and leaving nothing creative to his hired editors, which sucks from a professional editor's perspective, but people like his taste in juxtaposing changes in visuals and sound. If he shot coverage on random stuff and the editor picked the shots we see then I'd credit the editor with good work.

Yes that's what I'm getting at - nobody really raves about the "editing" in Pixar movies, after all, though to be fair in animation pre-viz IS editing.

Analytic Engine posted:

Sometimes strong decisions resonate with consumers tired of rigid "best practices" that every professional defaults to, wether through management decree or playing things safe. I have the same issues in data visualization + web programming where the coder doesn't get any creative credit and nothing ever moves forward from industry local minima. Why were so many hollywood movies blue & orange for a while? It wasn't because Coloring professionals were lazy or bad in that generation

I'm really interested in what you think of Every Frame a Painting, because I'm tired of only hearing why it's great or how true his arguments are. If you disagree with certain things then that's a perspective I'm not gonna hear outside SA or some niche subreddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

You're right about strong decisions and variations in visual style. The fact that Edgar Wright makes movies with distinctive visual ideas is not a bad thing at all. I don't like them but that's more about the script and uhhh content choice. They seem a little male-nerd-masturbatory. I haven't seen his latest though.

So yeah, I don't have a lot of detailed stuff to say about the video, that guy is right too, at least regarding visual variety. You shouldn't shoot a theatrical comedy like daytime drama TV unless you have a deliberate reason for it. Interestingly most of his examples of visual comedy are not examples of edits but of movement in frame, composition, camera movement, lighting.

Examples of "comedy edits" in there
- his fourth item on the list, transition matches/jump cuts
- the Monty Python charge
The travel jump-cut montage is interesting but I wouldn't hold it up as comedic editing, just more creative than the dogshit he compared it to. I'd even argue Snatch has a better travel montage, if we're just limiting it to British 2000s comedies with travel montages. Snatch is graphically more fun, more interplay between shots and the sounds are more stylized. But that's just my taste.

I remember liking that guy's Jackie Chan video, I think that was the same youtuber.

Anyway I'm trying to say, of course people should use the full potential of the medium to make their funny stuff funnier, but you have to be careful. When I cut comedy I am generally avoiding trying to "create" comedy in the edit after the fact. Some producers don't get why you shouldn't do this too much unless you're desperate and the scene sucks and needs all the help it can get. Most directors do get it though.

Like for example, sometimes I work on something with some action that I start feeling like "this will be funnier if I have a bunch of pumping high energy music going on and cut it dead as we cut away to something else", and I have to calculate, did we already do some other kind of comedy undercutting of action previously? Does this moment need that kind of emphasis? What are we drawing attention to by basically adding a gag in the edit suite - the situation onscreen, which should already be funny, or the technique of the edit itself?

This is complicated by an edit being planned to be funny, and shot for purpose. Then you're asking the same question - are we making the joke funnier or just the editing more noticeable - but it's more about finesse in execution since you generally want to do what was planned. This is Edgar Wright territory.

And if you do this 300 times in 90 minutes people will be distracted by the things you are doing with time, space, and so on and they won't fall into the story. So coming back around to coverage, there's a reason some stuff is shot that way - it allows a scene to play out without pulling you out of it as a viewer. That's often preferable to punctuating every joke with a sort of technical interruption, even one you planned, even if it's real clever and everything.

So yeah a lot of good editing should be invisible and just make you laugh at things that are already funny onscreen by not loving them up, or enhancing them in ways you don't notice - through timing, performance choice, fixing an actor's fuckups, or whatever. Even re-writing the script by cutting out lines or re-ordering things. Or, say, a classic invisible comedy edit is the reaction shot, right? Somebody says or does something and their partner or friend flinches/squints/gasps at it. Knowing when to cut away to that and how to drape that visual over the other person's dialogue/action is a really subtle art. Like tiny fractions of a second make stuff like that work or not work.

But I like a straight "comedy edit" in the right context, I'm not saying they always distract from the purity of humor in the characters' faces, dialogue and actions. loving Eric Andre is one of my favorite shows and that's full of joke edits. But they don't have to get you caring about a story and characters for 90 minutes like I was supposed to care about Scott Pilgrim.

It's cliche but I'd hold up The Big Lebowski as a comedy that keeps the visuals AND editing interesting always, but never in the way that draws attention to them that EW leans on.

Your man with the youtube, at least the way he wrote that video, seems like he can't get enough of gimmick edits because he's bored of other stuff all made the same way, which I think is an overreaction to a real problem. Some techniques could be original as hell and leave you scratching your head thinking "how'd they even DO that" so hard that you don't laugh at it or enjoy the story.

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 27, 2022

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Solar Tornado posted:

It's hard to think of Scott as a loser because he dated two girls before the story starts, one of which becomes a rockstar, and there are girls who pine for him as the story goes.
The target demographic for Scott Pilgrim is lonely videogame nerds, and to them that's an accomplishment.

Scott is meant to be a loser, but he's also a pretty successful one. So you can understand why people might miss the point on what kind of character he is supposed to be.

I haven't heard from any fans of that movie that seemed to have been confused by or disappointed by the ending, but maybe people were more endering to him in the first couple of comic volumes. But the only fans of the comic I ever knew were high school girls in the 2000s because the characters were easy to doodle

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Phlegmish posted:

Edgar Winter is a Scientologist

he looks like one. what a fuckin weirdo!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I remember around the time the movie came out, people hated Cera in the role because they thought HE made the character unlikeable, not that the character was supposed to be extremely flawed. I think the go-to replacement fandom picked out was Anton Yelchin as the one who should have been cast because was so charming and dreamy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm just a simple country layout designer, but I do like dissecting why I get whatever emotion from a scene. For Wright, it's not his color theory or scene composition, but the beat of the edits. Maybe I'm a shallow amateur for that but if a scene hits the emotion I'll like it. He hits hype well.

I've gotten the same scoffs from animators for loving a scene where the technique isn't technically difficult, but if I feel it, it's a good scene. To me.

I appreciate the violent red fades in Cries and Whispers because goddamn it, I hated experiencing that film exactly as much as Bergman wanted me to. I love that stupid Bane fight in Arkham Asylum because holy poo poo is that a good boss theme. When it hits, it hits.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The only part of the movie that sticks with me is Thomas Jane taking Brandon Routh to school on Vegan rules, but that's mainly because Thomas Jane is an all around awesome actor. Time to rewatch Deep Blue Sea...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

You Are A Elf posted:

Should I watch The World’s End again? I’ve only seen it twice when it came out almost ten years ago and I remember very little of it. It didn’t capture my imagination or interest as well as the other two Cornetto films, but maybe I should give it another chance?

loving love me some Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, though.

I watched it again recently and it hits way better now that I'm closer to 40 than 30 and that one friend is still out there partying and getting high with college kids. It's also recursive as gently caress with self references layered so deep it's insane.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Movie sucked but tie-in game was p. great (assuming you like side scroller beat-em-ups like streets of rage/River City Ransom/Double dragon/etc.); good gameplay/visuals/soundtrack. I think there was some weird licensing issue that made it disappear for a while, but I think it got rereleased for modern consoles recently.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Brother Tadger posted:

Movie sucked but tie-in game was p. great (assuming you like side scroller beat-em-ups like streets of rage/River City Ransom/Double dragon/etc.); good gameplay/visuals/soundtrack. I think there was some weird licensing issue that made it disappear for a while, but I think it got rereleased for modern consoles recently.

Anamanaguchi did an incredibly good job on the chiptune soundtrack for the game, with pixel art visuals by Robert Paulson (a genius R Crumb type creep)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkF2cmBx8a8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i0_W_WYbGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOigLban8gY

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kntfkr posted:

he looks like one. what a fuckin weirdo!

And his friend Rick Derringer turned into a megachud

Rock 'N' Roll Hoochie Koo still owns but drat

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bogus Adventure posted:

The only part of the movie that sticks with me is Thomas Jane taking Brandon Routh to school on Vegan rules, but that's mainly because Thomas Jane is an all around awesome actor. Time to rewatch Deep Blue Sea...

I thought this movie was an overhyped mess. The director seemed to be throwing whatever idea he had on the screen to see what would work. Way too excessive, way too much going on, way too many references.

But the Vegan Police were truly wonderful.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Extra Large Marge posted:

I thought this movie was an overhyped mess. The director seemed to be throwing whatever idea he had on the screen to see what would work. Way too excessive, way too much going on, way too many references.

But the Vegan Police were truly wonderful.

It's such a good scene. I forgot that they used finger guns, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpCZ8g5uK8

Hunter Biden
Feb 24, 2022
This thread is a tumblr post in 2012.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Worst character is the guy that didn’t know that Gilato was milk and eggs.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Analytic Engine posted:

I Am Not a Filmmaker but I think you're describing the actual job of people paid as editors, while the public is describing the final product. Wright is making all the interesting/difficult editing decisions himself and leaving nothing creative to his hired editors, which sucks from a professional editor's perspective, but people like his taste in juxtaposing changes in visuals and sound. If he shot coverage on random stuff and the editor picked the shots we see then I'd credit the editor with good work.

Sometimes strong decisions resonate with consumers tired of rigid "best practices" that every professional defaults to, wether through management decree or playing things safe. I have the same issues in data visualization + web programming where the coder doesn't get any creative credit and nothing ever moves forward from industry local minima. Why were so many hollywood movies blue & orange for a while? It wasn't because Coloring professionals were lazy or bad in that generation

I'm really interested in what you think of Every Frame a Painting, because I'm tired of only hearing why it's great or how true his arguments are. If you disagree with certain things then that's a perspective I'm not gonna hear outside SA or some niche subreddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

Hey, thanks for this video. I didn't watch it all but I do appreciate his point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

the "half your age plus seven" rule that everyone always said when i was in high school has not aged well has it

e: oh, in scott's case that would've been 11 + 7 = 18 years, so 17 would be off limits. maybe the rule is solid after all.

it's not a great rule but it's good for like a bare minimum sanity check

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I only watch movies about The Devil.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Every movie is about the Devil for moving pictures are sinful & profane

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
grow up and blow away, live it out, and old world underground all own. metric is great.

highlights: IOU, Dead Disco, Empty, Hardwire, Raw Sugar.

I think Grow Up and Blow Away has the best # of good tracks.

huge scott pilgrim fan, the movie, I think, is great visually but kind of doesn't work for a lot of reasons. I liked the comic. You should really see them live, they're much better live, etc etc.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
how else do you get to be vs. the world without being the worst character

it's in the freaking thing

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.

Who What Now posted:

The graphic novel wasn't all that good

I disagree. Maybe it is just nostalgia but I think the story was pretty captivating and the artistic styling were really great for the time. It was western in how it presented itself, but, being presented also in the form of a manga was a nice mix of western and non western aesthetics and art styles. There's a ton of things that happen in the manga that do not happen in the movie that the reader is rewarded for which makes for a unique experience.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
The Vegan Police being so excited and high fiving in the background is the best part of the movie. And I really like the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I have no strong opinions on scott pilgrim but he plays a rickenbacker which he should strongly reconsider.