Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Welcome to the oldschool anime general thread! Posting about some shows. Like the Mecha General thread, for your oldschool anime needs. Many fine genres, enough anime to keep a warrior busy for a thousand years.

From Slam Dunk to City Hunter, Cowboy Bebop to El Hazard, you can't go wrong with oldschool anime. Hell, the music was good too! Post in here about some stuff you're watching or old favs. Questions or waxing anime philosophical. This is like Hideo Kojima's Outer Heaven from Metal Gear, but instead of a big mercenary party thing, it's a thread to talk about old anime.

anime.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSiRA1xf_NU

Watching oldschool anime... it's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So pretty much, anything about 10 years old is retro enough, but it's all good, pretty loose there. Just a place to post what you're watching or talk about stuff, outside the hustle and bustle of the new stuff.

Some of my rotation the past year or two: Slam Dunk, Ah My Goddess, Urusei Yatsura, Dirty Pair, Slayers, and just tons of titles to try. And they always have the finest OPs and EDs too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, just gonna get this outta the way.

Bad Seafood posted:

Huh, well, that's a strange choice for a thread opener. Gurren Lagann's not that ol-

Oh no.
I said I'd start watching Patlabor or Turn-A Gundam soon, so I guess this is as good a place as any to record my thoughts.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Thinking about maybe watching Utena again, or maybe just the episodes I like best (every Nanami episode)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Throughout the year I've been gradually watching Kimagure Orange Road (it's on both Crunchyroll and Retrocrush, watching old anime has never been so convenient) and I like it quite a lot. Been on my rotation whenever I don't have anything in particular to watch since it's always a good time. I generally dislike saying that something couldn't be made these days but it is true that the show would be different today if only because it'd be split into multiple seasons of 12 episodes each. There's a stretch of a dozen episodes or so where the cast does various summer vacation things and it hits differently when it's a chunk of episodes in a 50ish episode series as opposed to being its own separate season.

At any rate it's consistently good! The core dynamic of the love triangle is basic but compelling and it frequently does a particular kind of sitcom thing I love, which is that there are plenty of character details that are only mentioned in a single episode. Why is Ayukawa in such good shape? Why, because she works out by wrestling at a local gym and in fact it's one of her big hobbies. This comes up in a single episode and then never again. It really adds a lot of variety to the episodes as these things can just happen without worrying about perfect consistency. Hey, it's the 80s, most of the audience isn't as obsessive about lore compared to today.

Also all of the openings rule so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2OmXgEBT-w

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That sounds awesome, been meaning to see Kimagure.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.
I really, really, enjoy 80s anime OVAs a lot.
I don't know if anyone here has ever seen Bubble gum crisis but it's really good.
It's a little corny, but, in a good way. It's a magic girl anime about a team of 5 what are basically half power rangers half Sailor Moon girls. I believe the plot is about them fight corruption and the government and basically the Japanese cyberpunk mafia.
It's dope and I enjoyed it quite a bit. You should check it out if you haven't seen it. There's several seasons and some movies.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish Retrocrush was available outside US/C

I mean there's catsite but you know, convenience

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

my pick for retro anime is gundam seed. check it out at the local library

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

I don't know if anyone here has ever seen Bubble gum crisis but it's really good.

:respek: Bubblegum crisis is what got me into anime in the very early 2000's, thanks to a VHS of it I saw at a local Blockbuster. I own a copy of the "Vol 1 Complete Vocal Collection" CD that still gets played; soundtrack is peak 80's synth and bangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqPskSyeRA4

What's the current opinion on Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory? Going thru my dvd collection I've realised I own the boxset but have yet to sit down and watch it. :sweatdrop:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
great animation, terrible writing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really want the inside scoop on the production of Stardust Memory because after a certain point the writing is just ????

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That one's been on my backlog forever, but I love 0080. Gundam rocks.

Bubblegum Crisis is so good, incredible music and 80s vibes of course. Megazone 23 is up that alley. I'm a big fan of the 90s BGC remake Tokyo 2040, lotta fun with those chill late 90s vibes too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Leraika posted:

Thinking about maybe watching Utena again, or maybe just the episodes I like best (every Nanami episode)

:hellyeah:

My favorite part of that show

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My Actual Favorite Episode is Wakaba Flourishing but every Nanami episode is a close second.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Runa posted:

I really want the inside scoop on the production of Stardust Memory because after a certain point the writing is just ????

I'm not clear on the details but I think it has something to do with the back half of the series very clumsily trying to rewrite itself into an origin story for the Titans from Zeta Gundam. There were hints of a conspiracy going on among the Federation higb commans in earlier episodes but in the finale you get a bunch of cameos from future Titans leadership as well as Axis Zeon. It just doesn't gel well and the original plot to steal a nuke gets sidestepped into another colony drop which was the REAL plan all along (after a plot point that was revealed two episodes earlier and never mentioned beforehand)

It reads to me like a mandate from Sunrise that came down while the show was in production ND left the writers scrambling to rewrite an extended ending to accommodate for the need to tie into Zeta.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 26, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leraika posted:

"Anthy Himemiiiiya's A GREAT big weirdo!!!"

*gasp*
"Miss HIMEMIYA, I've MISJUDGED you!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the zeta setup doesn't really work that well, but monsha is still the most titan titan to ever titan.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I miss the Emotion stinger you'd get from fansubs done from Japanese Laserdiscs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC7lUVIN_U8

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Heavy Metal posted:

oldschool anime

this is elder abuse

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cephas posted:

this is elder abuse

I feel ya there!

I don't even think of Cowboy Bebop as oldschool, in my heart it's timeless. Just kind of a motif for a thread on anime from the semi-recent and a bit less recent past. And for sure a hit from 15 years ago like Gurren Lagann feels current still.

That said, coincidentally I popped on some podcasts from 2010 recently. It is wild how it really is a different era, even though it doesn't feel that way. Time is kooky.

Anime Nostalgia podcast, now that's aptly named. Technically you could be nostalgic for a thing from 2011. I know that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas music from Kaiji does it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdYms5pRwS4

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 27, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oldschool anime, huh? Howzabout a 1969 classic, The Flying Phantom Ship.
(Edited from a post in C/D from a few months ago.)

This was a weird little curiosity from Toei. It's an animated feature that's mostly a daikaiju flic, although it plays at being a ghost story, a James Bond style spy flick, and an alien deep sea creature invasion story at points. What's maybe the most notable thing about it was the names attached to it. Shotaro Ishimori is credited with the original idea. It was directed by Hiroshi Ikeda, who'd go on to head R&D for Nintendo (!) during the NES days. It also have Hayao Miyazaki doing some key animation, notably the giant robot fight.

Sadly, it really doesn't have much to offer as a film besides some phenomenally painted backgrounds, but it is an interesting curiosity with a pre-Mazinger giant robot.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I think my heart still dwells with the late 90s and early 2000s anime I watched when I was a teenager.

There's something about that era of anime that feels like the ringing of a deep bell, or a well still full of water.

I think what resonated with me so deeply was a sense of loneliness. A lot of anime are about young people whose identities aren't set in stone yet. Their sense of self is still mutable. Technology interfaces with the self. Their bodies change shape, digitize, or merge with machines. I don't think this is unique to the anime that was contemporary with my youth. Much older shows like Mobile Suit Gundam and Rose of Versailles are very much about loneliness, and about how the world interferes with the realization of one's self.

I've always been really grateful to have had a connection to anime in my life when I did. Things were tough from the time I was 11 until I left for college. I was bullied at school and treated poorly at home, and I didn't have friends for most of my life. I was a very misanthropic child. But I still remember crying when I watched Haibane Renmei, and having dreams about Kino's Journey. When I watched Lain or .hack//SIGN, I felt recognized. And when I watched Fruit's Basket or Haruhi or Aria the Animation, I felt like I was watching a model for what a good life could be like. Even though I was lonely, those stories filled me with hope.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
That last post was too sincere. Please watch this funimation trailer from one of my Detective Conan dvds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaPLXc8khs&t=38s

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig it! Lotta funny DVD promos, that Manga Ent. one with KMFDM is classic. And all the ADV DVDs with that "What is anime?" info clip that would start playing.

And FLCL is unstoppably legendary. I too feel like it captured the sadness and also excitement of being that age, more than any other coming of age tale for me. The Pillows help.

That reminds me, is .hack a good watch without knowledge of the games?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 27, 2022

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I like .hack//SIGN, and I think it's aged pretty decently for what it is--a dialogue-heavy show about nerds hanging out in an MMORPG. I think most people probably watched one of the dot hack animes before they played any of the games. SIGN in particular really doesn't rely on much knowledge about the whole weird dot hack universe.

It's got fun character designs and environments, and some of Yuki Kajiura's all-time best music going for it mostly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B588Yp8uF0

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool, I'll pop that onto the ol' watch list.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Heavy Metal posted:

waxing anime philosophical
the anime "end of history" moment equivalent to the fall of the berlin wall was probably the airing of ghost in the shell sac: 2nd gig, in 2004. there's an enormous generational divide somewhere around 2003-2005 or so, around the time internet distribution and the fansubbing explosion really started to kick off. crunchyroll was founded (as a pirate streaming site) in 2006 and adv was liquidated in 2009, and around that point we also started to get official simulcasts. there's no question that gurren laggan is a classic, but it's an internet era classic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Before the proliferation of fansubs and online culture it was a lot easier to track the pathways to anime that most people in the west took. If you'd seen one notable show there was a good chance you'd seen a lot of them and a lot of the conversation followed this collective community memory. Toonami blocks, Adult Swim, YTV, G4 TechTV and other anime blocks for younger people, vhs tapes, bootlegs and late night showings for the slightly older. Point being that the throughline existed for most anime viewers to have seen the same shows or read the same manga as part of one community.

The internet age kind of exploded that shared community because suddenly people could pursue what interested them and find smaller communities rather than a few larger communities consuming what was available.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get why your equating the explosion of digital fansubs with the growth of the internet but the early days of the internet absolutely lead to more VHS fansubs getting circulated around than them just staying at certain universities or fan clubs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That explosion also speeded the translation industry and created Partnerships that allows poo poo like MHA to simulcast.

The dearth of material beforehand really made it so that fans were at the whims of import publishers for works. It's why most people remember stuff like Voltage Fighter Gowcaiser before they had seen Evangelion. Lol.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I get why your equating the explosion of digital fansubs with the growth of the internet but the early days of the internet absolutely lead to more VHS fansubs getting circulated around than them just staying at certain universities or fan clubs.
yes, but the internet took over the fansubbing community and transformed it to the point of complete replacement within just a few short years. fansubbing in 2003-2004 still had influential people from the vhs era around. it was fairly insular. adv would announce licenses at conventions and fansubs would be dropped. torrents existed but a lot of people still used irc for distribution (one of the first torrent link aggregators was anime.mircx.com; mircx was an irc network). by 2006 the scene had changed completely with a huge influx of people from groups that had previously done dvd rips (as well as a lot of random internet people with no previous exposure to fansubs) and turned into something completely different, and at the same time the audience also exploded because the distribution became enormously easier to access. in a timeframe of only 2-3 years the state of things went from a lot of shows being mostly inaccessible prior to an american dvd release, to basically every single show being available fansubbed within a week or two of airing in japan.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 27, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They certainly did but you're still dealing with the situation where it's people converging on the few available communities for those fansubs. Nowadays you've got much larger community hubs that follow the same route but also hundreds to thousands of smaller circles as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The early days of internet fansubbing were rough in their own ways too because there was absolutely folks that would lord it over others (much like how I'm sure happened with VHS fansubs too, tho I wasn't old enough for that era of anime so I can't speak to any personal experience on that). I remember poo poo like a fansub group that at one point refused to release new episodes of something unless they had X many people in their irc channel. That kinda dumb dick-waving.

The actual problem is something that's not unique to anime, there's just too much stuff out there!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

what was the name of the naruto fansubbing group? they had their own big website with a ton of rules and were huge assholes, it was hilarious

edit it was dattebayo subs they were amazingly huge dickheads

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One Piece also had Kaizoku subs who, as far as I can recall anyway, were pretty decent other than their insistence that 'nakama' was a word of such intrinsic value to OP that it should be left untranslated.

They loved a fancy font special move subtitle too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

One Piece also had Kaizoku subs who, as far as I can recall anyway, were pretty decent other than their insistence that 'nakama' was a word of such intrinsic value to OP that it should be left untranslated.

They loved a fancy font special move subtitle too.

They were in fact the fansub group I was specifically thinking of when I said there was a group that refused to release a new episode until getting a certain amount of people in their irc channel haha

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arctic animation had some super petty don't sell or steal warnings on their VHS fansubs so pettiness was 100% a thing than too

And yeah 06 and up digital fansubbing changed a lot with the ease of torrents and the arrival of streaming. But the thing is the internet already changed fansubbing greatly even earlier with arrival of the divx codec and using mirc and actually computer file DVD rips. My argument isn't so much that the internet didn't change subbing in 06, it did. But it also changed it greatly in 98-99 and heck it did with the growth of newsgroups and websites in the early 90's as well

Fansubbing is just so interesting to look at and there'd be an amazing book in it if somebody would look at it from a neutral pov

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah, a lot of fansubs and piracy were around a lot earlier than 06 on the internet. as insane as it sounds, there was a lot of just wholesale subbing efforts that were being ignominiously dumped to places like kazaa and limewire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I can feel myself aging and developing a horrific cross between gout and osteoporosis just reading these last few posts