Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
2040 was a weird series, the first half had good mech design and nothing resembling a coherent plot, and the back half had incoherent hardsuits and a decent plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I showed the first ep of 2040 to a friend like a year ago, mainly it's the one gal Linna running around in her bad business job and happening across Priss at random and it's very chill and vibe oriented. Very quirky, but I think somewhere in the ballpark of the philosophy of style that Bebop was going for. Late 90s cool, like slacker cool. Didn't make a new fan there, but yeah one of my favs. It's kind of laidback and for me it's something pretty cool.

Dawgstar posted:

That's a delightful trip down memory lane. Lot of RaXephon and Excel in there. Some Noir too.

I remember Excel's original dub actress Jessica Calvello got so into voicing her she blew her voice out and had to be replaced halfway through.

For sure, that dub was legendary. And it doesn't get much more jammin' than that hype Noir soundtrack.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 28, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The original Bubblegum Crisis still has the best music and atmosphere but 2040 is the better story simply cause it feels complete whereas the original OAV suffered from having a lot of interesting ideas it didn't fully develop cause it was an OAV

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SF V was good for, as far as I can tell unintentionally, making Ryu and Ken gay as gently caress in the first episode

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

I showed the first ep of 2040 to a friend like a year ago, mainly it's the one gal Linna running around in her bad business job and happening across Priss at random and it's very chill and vibe oriented. Very quirky, but I think somewhere in the ballpark of the philosophy of style that Bebop was going for. Late 90s cool, like slacker cool. Didn't make a new fan there, but yeah one of my favs. It's kind of laidback and for me it's something pretty cool.

One thing 2040 has going for it over the OVA is it has a point for Linna to exist who was always just kind of The Fourth One in the original but if you gave me a stern look and said Linna also kind of loses her point as the series goes on I couldn't say no. Still, making her a POV character was a great idea because everybody else is way more plugged into things.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I did a rewatch of 2040 recently with a friend and...it's okay. Better than I remember. Still doesn't really hold a candle to the original, but it's okay. I do like the updated redesigns for the main four a bunch though.

Ardeem posted:

2040 was a weird series, the first half had good mech design and nothing resembling a coherent plot, and the back half had incoherent hardsuits and a decent plot.

The back half of the series honestly feels to me like it's suffering from Evangelionitis. Like, End of Eva came out during its development and there's parts of things where you can almost physically *feel* how much they want to take from EoE.

I'd have to pull up my chat log with my friend from when when we watched it but I was keeping a running tally of how many things felt like they were ripped right out of the later parts of Eva.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
2040 and dirty pair flash occupy the same space in my brain of “grim recession sequels” and i should probably give them a chance

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure worth a look. Dirty Pair Flash is a lot less impressive I'd say, but it's an enjoyably middle of the road show. Also for me any anime from the 90s get a bonus on the watch list, economic stuff aside it was one of the most artistically interesting and cool decades for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I have an odd amount of affection for Dirty Pair Flash. It has that OVA budget so it looks nice and it's just kind of funny them trying the revamp and throwing things to the wall to see what stick like their magical girl style transformations into their work outfits.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I went on a huge pre-1990 anime safari and bagged an alien girl in a tiger bikini.

This poo poo is goofy as hell, I love it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's the good stuff right there, can't go wrong with classic Takahashi.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Was talking "your top 5 mecha" with a guy on discord. I haven't seen a lot of the great mecha series cuz they haven't been dubbed and I can't follow subs.

But anyway, I was trying to recall all the non-Gundam mecha I've seen. It's not much. I haven't thought about Zoids in forever but I guess it's mecha, even if it is as far removed from a Gundam series as possible. I have always loved Chaotic Century/Guardian Force. It's very basic but maybe that is part of its appeal. That and an absolutely amazing soundtrack and some really cool animal robot/robot animal designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chUgh-EXJmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldx2tsIy5Bw

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've yet to finish watching Overman King Gainer but supposedly it's a very good non-Gundam Tomino mecha anime.

I think it's supposed to have an English dub!

I don't think it's running on any of the major streaming services right now though :smith:

I should probably pick up the dvd complete collection on ebay... I think they're going for like $40 or so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah Gainer has a dub, nothing wrong with it on that front from what I remember. Think it was one of the earlier roles I heard Kirk Thorton in.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

sb hermit posted:

I've yet to finish watching Overman King Gainer but supposedly it's a very good non-Gundam Tomino mecha anime.

I think it's supposed to have an English dub!

I don't think it's running on any of the major streaming services right now though :smith:

I should probably pick up the dvd complete collection on ebay... I think they're going for like $40 or so.

Discotek just put out a Blu ray set back in December. Probably close to the same price.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah Gainer has a dub, nothing wrong with it on that front from what I remember. Think it was one of the earlier roles I heard Kirk Thorton in.

Yea I remember watching the dub and thinking it was fine enough. Not spectacular but perfectly watchable.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I found it funny that Kirk Thornton also got to voice Toki again in FotNS: Lost Paradise

Someone in the casting department thinking "Well, he was only Toki for barely an episode in the series, let's give it to him"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Vandar posted:

Also wow looking it up and there's a lot more Tenchi spinoffs than I thought.
I knew it came out in the 90s, but I had no idea the first OAV came out in 1992 to 1993.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not old per se but I don't know where else to talk about Lupin the 3rd OR Cat's Eye so just going for it: Lupin the 3rd vs. Cat's Eye was a lot of fun and it's on Prime right now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool to hear, I heard Lupin and Jigen cameo in the latest City Hunter special too. That's one cool corner of the anime universe.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Talking about Cat's Eye, is Tsukasa Hojo retired? It's been a long time since Angel Heart, yeah?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

Discotek just put out a Blu ray set back in December. Probably close to the same price.

:nice:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't thought about Zoids in forever but I guess it's mecha, even if it is as far removed from a Gundam series as possible. I have always loved Chaotic Century/Guardian Force. It's very basic but maybe that is part of its appeal. That and an absolutely amazing soundtrack and some really cool animal robot/robot animal designs.

I never did finish Chaotic Century, mainly because Zoids was one of those shows that I caught irregularly while getting ready for school, but New Century Zero aired in the afternoon block and I did finish that one.
The only model kits I've built were Zoids, the ones that took batteries and moved around.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KariOhki posted:

I never did finish Chaotic Century, mainly because Zoids was one of those shows that I caught irregularly while getting ready for school, but New Century Zero aired in the afternoon block and I did finish that one.
The only model kits I've built were Zoids, the ones that took batteries and moved around.

NCZ is way different in tone but I still quite liked it, too.

It's a shame I've heard every oether Zoids show sucked.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just found this thread and it's definitely in my wheelhouse.

Skypie posted:

The best role Tiffany Grant ever had was in Burn Up as the tech head whose laptop gets blasted and she opens fire on the bad guys while screaming "arrrrggghhh HAVE ANOTHER LEAD ENEMA, SLIME BALLS!!"

Funny how these things stick in the mind. I think it's a different character who said it but the one I recall is "Payback is a bitch AND SO AM I!!!"

----

Also, I wonder how much the particular series we remember from our adolescence was driven by local communities like university anime clubs and Direct Connect servers at LAN parties.
File sharing was taking off, but a lot of people were still using 56K modems or really bad ADSL lines, if we had even known where to go to download fansub releases.

I watched a couple of series with no audio (that doesn't really matter right, it's JP audio with subtitles!) until this new player called VLC got ported to Mac.

It seemed like Excel Saga was huge when I was in the university computer club (2002-2005.) Maybe because it was the only "comedy" series that we knew of until Azumanga came out?

I had a buddy who was really into Trigun and customised his Mac with all the cast of characters.

Read Or Die TV was a critical bust with that weird twist about trying to create a Victorian steampunk world, I barely remember what the deal with that was.

Of course a bunch of mostly forgettable harem anime but I have a soft spot for Vandread, the weird space mecha show about men and women from warring planets. Of course I haven't watched it for 20 years so it might be awful.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Also, I wonder how much the particular series we remember from our adolescence was driven by local communities like university anime clubs and Direct Connect servers at LAN parties.

Anime clubs and tape trading is how a lot of folks got into anime back in the day. I used to hang out on a DBZ forum with a lot of old, hardcore fans, talking about trading VHSes back in the 90s. And there was this shounen romance from the 80s called Kimagure Orange Road which, so far as I can discover, only really had any traction ouside of Japan because of the aforementioned small anime clubs and swapping video tapes.

quote:

Of course a bunch of mostly forgettable harem anime but I have a soft spot for Vandread, the weird space mecha show about men and women from warring planets. Of course I haven't watched it for 20 years so it might be awful.

Oh man, Vandread. It helped a younger me realize the fickleness of popularity over time. I used to know a lot of people who talked about it, so I watched it, but when I went back to try and re-watch it years later, no one knew or cared about it and it was even hard to find it to watch.

Kyo Kaa Maoh is another one which was really popular for what it was back in the 2000s but I'm not sure anybody remembers or cares about it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scbKPA0qDMg

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

~Coxy posted:

I had a buddy who was really into Trigun and customised his Mac with all the cast of characters.

Hell yeah! I know a couple people who aren't into Trigun, and they must have redeeming qualities because who on Earth isn't into Trigun. It's Trigun, one of the holy totems of all that is 1998. Anime gods bless Trigun, and bless 1998.

Excel Saga is legendary too.

I just saw a reddit thread today where someone asked if the animation in Monster holds up, and mentioned they had never seen an anime that old (from 2004). May the anime gods have mercy on their soul.

Also, you know how some topics on Reddit have several communities, with a couple cooler alternatives? Like graphicnovels is one of the better ones for comics for example. As far as I can tell there isn't some cooler better taste and discussion alternative to r/anime, it's just one of the bigger dumber reddits around. Would be nice if such a cool topic had cooler reddits, I'm just saying.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 28, 2024

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my favorite part of excel saga was the bad guy’s whole thing was Being A Pedophile but it was supposed to be epic

i still have the box set from 2004 or so and found it for the first time since 2011 this summer in a move

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

I just saw a reddit thread today where someone asked if the animation in Monster holds up, and mentioned they had never seen an anime that old (from 2004). May the anime gods have mercy on their soul.

Way I see it, at least if they're asking that question it means they're curious about checking it out! That is sadly above and beyond what plenty of folks do.

Admittedly it's a problem that extends beyond anime since it's not uncommon to see folks that refuse to watch movies that are "too old", while carving out an exception for certain franchises that are still relevant today like Star Wars and the like.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Anime clubs and tape trading is how a lot of folks got into anime back in the day. I used to hang out on a DBZ forum with a lot of old, hardcore fans, talking about trading VHSes back in the 90s. And there was this shounen romance from the 80s called Kimagure Orange Road which, so far as I can discover, only really had any traction ouside of Japan because of the aforementioned small anime clubs and swapping video tapes.

Orange Road was really influential - the manga more so than the anime really. The main woman character , Madoka, is pinned to be the first tsundure character. And apparently the manga sold over 20 million tankoban in it's original run (I had all 18 volumes). Matsumoto Izumi was kind of ahead of his time, apparently he thought of the idea of putting manga on CD-ROMs as well. He unfortunately died in 2020.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Orange Road was really influential - the manga more so than the anime really. The main woman character , Madoka, is pinned to be the first tsundure character. And apparently the manga sold over 20 million tankoban in it's original run (I had all 18 volumes). Matsumoto Izumi was kind of ahead of his time, apparently he thought of the idea of putting manga on CD-ROMs as well. He unfortunately died in 2020.

My local video store in the early 90s had one tape of orange road, I remember renting it. But I was way too young to care about anime that wasn't about fighting.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Orange Road is one of those series that I've always heard is supposed to be incredible, I've just never gotten around to it because there's just so much else out there.

Maybe I should make some time to finally check it out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shout-out to the real anime fans that got DBZ tapes with subs that contained a ton of profanity and it was totally a legit transition you guys, I'm fluent in japanese too

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vandar posted:

Orange Road is one of those series that I've always heard is supposed to be incredible, I've just never gotten around to it because there's just so much else out there.

Yeah I barely saw any of the anime, but was a big fan of the manga (this is around 40 years ago mind you). It was a love triangle manga with a surprise twist the shounen protagonist and his family are ESPers. The art was charming as well and you really can see where tsundures came from once you see Madoka in action.

A lot of Matsumoto's paintings from it were super 80s and cool.

Edit: I don't know if I'd particularly call the series 'incredible' but it WAS very groundbreaking. I really liked it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vandar posted:

It's great and since it's basically a sitcom it means you can dip in and out of it as you please.

I'm glad it's very readily available these days, being on both Crunchyroll and Retrocrush definitely got some folks to check it out that might not have otherwise.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE1TuuoWZpc

Everything about this OP is the best. I love it so much.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just put the first episode on via Retrocrush and holy poo poo this opening theme is sending me flashbacks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Interestingly I first saw the Orange Road anime (and well a ton of anime & toku shows in the 80s) on VHS- there was a rental shop in San Francisco's Japantown that pretty much ONLY rented VHS tapes that their partners in Japan would just record TV and then send them to SF. There were also other shows of course but the anime and toku shows were rented out a lot (iirc they would have around 3 duplicates of every popular tape). It was great since ads were included and the quality of the recordings were really good (the dupes were only one generation off of the tapes sent to them). The only real downside was occasionally there would be a missing episode or two.

L-Gaim, VOTOMS, Zeta Gundam, Changeman, Flashman, Tobikage, Dancougar, Dirty Pair, and many others were watched by my friends and I through that place. Also you had to be able to read the titles in Japanese as nothing was labeled in english.

edit: :corsair:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vandar posted:

Remember how there was a period where it felt like EVERYONE was an Azumanga fan and every single forum regardless of its focus would have at least one person with an Azumanga avatar or signature image? I kind of miss that.

sorry for necroquoting but :chiyo: