Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

Shout-out to the real anime fans that got DBZ tapes with subs that contained a ton of profanity and it was totally a legit transition you guys, I'm fluent in japanese too

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

sorry for necroquoting but :chiyo:
2003…

also speaking of necroquoting, you never posting your battlestation in the desktop thread, coward!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

2003…

also speaking of necroquoting, you never posting your battlestation in the desktop thread, coward!

I got a macbook and an ipad, only kind of desktop thing I have is an M1 mac mini that I use for mkvs on my teevee

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

only kind of desktop thing I have is an M1 mac mini that I use for mkvs on my teevee
:justpost:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Shout-out to the real anime fans that got DBZ tapes with subs that contained a ton of profanity and it was totally a legit transition you guys, I'm fluent in japanese too

I was a bit too young to be a fansub tape renter, but somewhat related - finding out about the changes for-TV dubs made from the original series, major or minor, was always super intriguing to me growing up. I was the kid in the anime friend group who could internet real good, so I'd print out lists of changes from various fansites and bring them to school, where in one case (Tenchi Muyo's changes for Toonami) they got confiscated for having inappropriate material on them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The VHS fan subber drama you'd see some groups do during eye catches/end credits sure was something. Arctic animation fansubs were particularly not subtle about this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The VHS fan subber drama you'd see some groups do during eye catches/end credits sure was something. Arctic animation fansubs were particularly not subtle about this

It was fun trying to piece together what the actual beef might have been.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

KariOhki posted:

I was a bit too young to be a fansub tape renter, but somewhat related - finding out about the changes for-TV dubs made from the original series, major or minor, was always super intriguing to me growing up. I was the kid in the anime friend group who could internet real good, so I'd print out lists of changes from various fansites and bring them to school, where in one case (Tenchi Muyo's changes for Toonami) they got confiscated for having inappropriate material on them.
Was it the Anime No Editing Zone by any chance?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think it was Super5.com that feuded with a certain "da black Goku" when they were subbing DBGT back in the day

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

KariOhki posted:

I am shocked, SHOCKED! that I never had any of my volumes of Love Hina confiscated in high school.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Vandar posted:

I am shocked, SHOCKED! that I never had any of my volumes of Love Hina confiscated in high school.

Haha same, I used to read volumes of ranma in my schools library.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vandar posted:

Love Hina's place in English anime world is weird as at the time it was such an important series in the first big manga explosion and now it's...just forgotten.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Love Hina's place in English anime world is weird as at the time it was such an important series in the first big manga explosion and now it's...just forgotten.

I feel like if Ken Akamatsu hadn't ended up butting heads with the industry and hadn't decided to get involved in politics, we'd probably be seeing some kind of revival of his older work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It was a novelty because, basically, Ranma didnt really break through to the mainstream and Tenchi shifted premise so readily that the whole Harem thing kind of took a backseat to figuring out wtf was going on with this particular incarnation.

There's such a flood of contemporaries now that it's kind of just there.

I also feel like there's a bit of embarrassment looking back at it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ranma did crack a lot of eggs though to it's credit.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vandar posted:

I feel like if Ken Akamatsu hadn't ended up butting heads with the industry and hadn't decided to get involved in politics, we'd probably be seeing some kind of revival of his older work.

Negima despite not being as big when it was running still is known and isn't forgotten so I'm not sure it's this

FilthyImp posted:

It was a novelty because, basically, Ranma didnt really break through to the mainstream and Tenchi shifted premise so readily that the whole Harem thing kind of took a backseat to figuring out wtf was going on with this particular incarnation.

There's such a flood of contemporaries now that it's kind of just there.

I also feel like there's a bit of embarrassment looking back at it.

It's more this....It stood out as it was the big rom com that was part of Tokyopop's first wave of graphic novel only manga. Once older stuff came out it really just didn't hold up even in the mid 2000's

Also people not liking the anime ending didn't help!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The anime kind of sucked as a whole.

As does like, most of the anime adaptations of his work.

I'm still grumpy we never got an adaption of Negami's school festival arc.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Negima had two distinct anime adaptations and then UQ Holder, it did pretty well

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even the people who really liked Love Hina back in the day mostly seem to look back at it now as "what was I thinking." Many of them of course because they tried Negim which... oof.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SatoshiMiwa posted:

its availability was its greatest ability

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Love Hina falling by the wayside makes sense to me since it's important but also in a way that had many things following in its footsteps.

Like for a western comparison I'm thinking about how there's a ton of sitcoms that were popular and influential back in the day but are watched by very few today. Just happens to most stuff out there.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Was it the Anime No Editing Zone by any chance?

That name doesn't ring a bell in the memory, but wouldn't be surprised if that was somewhere I'd ended up reading at some point. There were a lot of those comparison or "uncensored" sites around then, I even ran one myself for a couple years for Tokyo Mew Mew.

Vandar posted:

I read Sorcerer Hunters in class a few times. Teachers probably just thought "oh a kid is reading!that's good!" without looking to see what was on some of those covers.

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 4, 2024

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

KariOhki posted:

I read Sorcerer Hunters in class a few times. Teachers probably just thought "oh a kid is reading!that's good!" without looking to see what was on some of those covers.

Sorcerer Hunters was something I was introduced to by my wife when we first started dating. She said "wanna watch this weird anime with me?" when I was visiting her place one time.

It was at the same time we also watched Gestalt, which was super bizarre and she's still mad there's only one OAV episode

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loved the heyday of ADV basically throwing every weird OVA they could get their hands on at you. Sometimes you got really good stuff like Ruin Explorers. Sometimes you got weird stuff like Sorcerer Hunters. Also there was Those Who Hunt Elves which I remember very little save there was a tank in a fantasy world but I'm going to figure it was better than GATE.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While wild ADV really couldn't match peak US Manga corps which had stuff like Project A-ko and than also released Genocyber and Crystal triangle

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Its true, ADV really went for quantity over quality, possibly trying to hit Eva levels in something else.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
can’t blame them. licenses were cheap, dubbing is cheap, and you there were a lot of surprise hits back then. stuff like outlaw star or trigun were solid “above average” but sold hugely

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Above average you say, two of the all time greatest titles in the history of anime. 1998 was a year of pure glorious anime greatness in my estimation. Trigun in particular was my #3 fav for many many years (after Bebop and Kenshin), and it's still way up there too.

Speaking of which, would love a nice remaster of Trigun sometime soon. Outlaw Star looks great, Bebop looks really great, etc, let's do that up shall we.

By the way, I love those laminated I assume bootleg cool medium sized posters you used to get in anime stores for cheap. Mondo cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 5, 2024

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Above average you say, two of the all time greatest titles in the history of anime. 1998 was a year of pure glorious anime greatness in my estimation.
i don’t think that’s true, but they are very beloved by nerds who were teenagers in 1998.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TenementFunster posted:

i don’t think that’s true, but they are very beloved by nerds who were teenagers in 1998.

This is folly, my good anime comrade, folly. Being in the right place and right time to really be affected by a thing is a bonus any title can have anytime. But it does not invalidate them of praise, good Funster! Surely your personal lower ranking of these things merely means we just have different taste on the matter. Also it was airing in 98, us Yanks got it a couple years later on 8 discs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Outlaw Star still holds up. Bob Buchholz was great as Gene. Aisha in general is always a hoot. I re-watch it about once a year.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dawgstar posted:

Outlaw Star still holds up. Bob Buchholz was great as Gene. Aisha in general is always a hoot. I re-watch it about once a year.

Outlaw Star is high on my list of shows I wish there was more of.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

wdarkk posted:

Outlaw Star is high on my list of shows I wish there was more of.

Angel Links is the monkey paw granting this wish.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

can’t blame them. licenses were cheap, dubbing is cheap, and you there were a lot of surprise hits back then. stuff like outlaw star or trigun were solid “above average” but sold hugely

I was about to object to outlaw star but then I realized I got it mixed up with Lost Universe

outlaw star was good and I wish I had the time to actually watch the anime front to back

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sb hermit posted:

I was about to object to outlaw star but then I realized I got it mixed up with Lost Universe

Yeah, Lost Universe was just 'what if Slayers in space but lacking in charm.'

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
over covid, imported every piece of the lost universe soundtrack i didn’t have already at ridiculous cost, and i’ve still never watched a single episode

i got the original OST for like $1.99 from The Right Stuf on closeout after their Anime Trax label went tits up

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Not seen SDF Macross before (and can't legally thanks to Harmony Gold's iron fist), but I've also never seen their hackjob which is easily available on Crunchyroll, so guess what I'm doing...

Up to Robotech Episode 18. For an 80's dub this is not that bad. On the nose? Yes, but not unwatchable (and quite a few recognizable voices too which is a surprise). Thing moves at one hell of a pace as well.

I did find the ADV files somewhere and compared episodes 1, 8, & 11 for both versions. Honestly, aside from the casual Robotech namedrop (bc syndication bullshit) and whatever the gently caress that Minmay song was -- it's a surprisingly close adaptation.

Also surprising (and possibly a hot take) was when comparing the ADV dub with Harmony Gold's: Vic's Rick is too screechy (we're doing honorifics in English now I guess), Coleen Misa/Lisa was throwing me off, and having Minmay voiced by the JP actress is an honorable choice but, uh... still a choice. I think I like the Robotech VA's more overall. I do sense some minor pullback when it comes to more sexual dialog, but Minmay's still getting eye-hosed in that beauty pageant episode [to the point of some soldiers going "Mmmm.... 16."]

Hot Take #2: Both soundtracks have their highlights and low points. Macross' "smoky lounge / post-sex" incidental music during more casual scenes is great but does absolutely nothing for battle scenes. Meanwhile, OST for Robotech is rock solid throughout except the OP/ED don't hold a candle to Macross (bc runtime and all that bs) --- And of course the whole Minmay deal [THE gently caress IS THIS "STAGEFRIGHT" SONG? DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY 10 MINUTES AGO YOU WROTE A SONG CALLED "MY BOYFRIEND IS A PILOT"???]

Robotech (for the Macross part at least) looks to have come out relatively unscathed compared to Ocean DBZ or DiC Sailor Moon; and with this predating those dubs by a full decade, color me shocked.

However, I have seen Do You Remember Love? in Japanese so there's that lol.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

However, I have seen Do You Remember Love? in Japanese so there's that lol.

I got to see that in the theater on my first trip to Japan in 1984 and it was loving amazing*. I still have a huge soft spot for it.

* I had almost no idea what anybody was saying in it

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I got to see that in the theater on my first trip to Japan in 1984 and it was loving amazing*. I still have a huge soft spot for it.

:vince:

The Protoculture is strong with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

you don’t need to understand japanese to appreciate sneaking off on a tour of Space San Francisco with an undercover Miss Macross