Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TheFluff posted:

the anime "end of history" moment equivalent to the fall of the berlin wall was probably the airing of ghost in the shell sac: 2nd gig, in 2004. there's an enormous generational divide somewhere around 2003-2005 or so, around the time internet distribution and the fansubbing explosion really started to kick off. crunchyroll was founded (as a pirate streaming site) in 2006 and adv was liquidated in 2009, and around that point we also started to get official simulcasts. there's no question that gurren laggan is a classic, but it's an internet era classic.

I dig it! It is fun to see people wax anime philosophical, it's like a Greek forum on here.

For me, online fansubs were a big thing by say 2002, even 2001 I think. Some of the first ongoing shows I saw were X (TV), FLCL, Full Metal Panic etc. And by 2003 everything seemed to be subbed, dozens of shows a season. So many shows, say Air Master, Black Jack Special, GetBackers etc, you name it. I was way more into anime fansubs in '02-'04 than I was in say '07-'09, everybody has their own times they were super into the stuff.

For me, Gurren Lagann and Death Note were almost like a last hurrah of an era or something, my anime viewing fell way lower for years after '07. And stuff from '04-'05 like Gankutsuo doesn't feel like it's from a previous era or anything. But even '04 is pretty different from say '98. The switch to digital animation is bigger to me I think.

But I feel the same way about decades, and movies. Is Blue Velvet from '86 from a very different time than Goodfellas from '90? It all seems pretty gradual and free flowing. Either way, it is good to wax anime philosophical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first show I watched via fansubs was Naruto but the first show I caught from start to finish and kept up with as it aired was the original FMA.

Something I do miss about that era is how most seasons would have one or two big shows that everyone in a community would be watching, whether they were enjoying it or if they merely felt the need to have a take on it (but something I really don't miss about that era is people making a huge deal about dropping a show haha). It doesn't happen much these days but that's more a factor of the oversaturation of entertainment as a whole no matter the medium, really.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kimagure Orange Road on VHS was my first fansubs watched and the first digital fansubs I watched/downloaded was Love Hina

Yes I feel old

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Kids these days don't even know about ridiculously showy soft-subbed karaoke effects for OPs that would bring even beefy computers grinding down to Seconds Per Frame.

First fansub I saw was a VHS End of Evangelion, long before there was a real Western release.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Alright, I've done it, finally lined up my late 80s / early 90s power hour watchlist. Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo 808, Wicked City, Gunbuster, Iria Zeiram, Dirty Pair, Bubblegum Crisis. Gonna hunker down and watch this good poo poo within the week.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Malsangoroth posted:

Alright, I've done it, finally lined up my late 80s / early 90s power hour watchlist. Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo 808, Wicked City, Gunbuster, Iria Zeiram, Dirty Pair, Bubblegum Crisis. Gonna hunker down and watch this good poo poo within the week.

That rocks, Kawajiri is a boss.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Malsangoroth posted:

Hello, Sci-fi Channel, I didn't know you posted here.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Malsangoroth posted:

Where’s Armitage III?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There needs to be Japanaimation Dark night with Genocyber, MD Geist, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could go with MD Geist because it's a so bad it's good kind of super edge but Genocyber is just depressing and the child murder and molestation stuff is gross.

Like there's a difference between a random kid getting impaled on a spear in MD Geist where the circumstances are so ludicrous it loops back into being hilarious and something like Genocyber where a bunch of kids get fridged to make Elaine dish out ultraviolence.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ninja Scroll was always my go-to Kawajiri movie, though I'm fond of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust as well (and watch it every Halloween). It's basically an exploitation film, sure, but it's well-shot and directed with solid pacing and fun fights. Really my only two complaints with it are 1.) the one you thought of first and 2.) I wish Jubei was just some drifter and didn't have previous beef with the bad guy. I kinda like the narrative a bit more when it's a John McClane situation and Jubei just happens to be the right schmuck in the wrong place at the wrong time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li-meG9D5WY

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

Hello, Sci-fi Channel, I didn't know you posted here.

Don't forget Robot Carnival. It was kind of weird how being an anime fan changed between the 80s-90s and the 00s on because pre-broadband internet and DVD you were pretty much stuck with just movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wouldn't mind a redubbed version of Robot Carnival that overhauled the script for the story about the two mechas fighting because they couldn't understand each other's language. The old dub is kinda yikes with the Asian voices.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arc Hammer posted:

I could go with MD Geist because it's a so bad it's good kind of super edge but Genocyber is just depressing and the child murder and molestation stuff is gross.
This is the moment I go "oh, I should maybe speed through Genocyber so I don't make those mistakes instead of just taking it as a memey 80s scifi action gorefest :doh:

Arc Hammer posted:

I wouldn't mind a redubbed version of Robot Carnival that overhauled the script for the story about the two mechas fighting because they couldn't understand each other's language. The old dub is kinda yikes with the Asian voices.
Maybe the end with the Rising Sun is in bad taste, too.

There's a host of formative anime that maybe will get a BluRay treatment someday but won't get a 4k rework that really bums me out.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 28, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Its funny how much the Pokémon anime changed US TV for anime. Before than maybe some movies and the occasional dubbed TV show trying to make it. After it hit big it was full speed ahead with shows and Toonami

Amazing part is before it aired the general newsgroup consensus was it wouldn't work cause it was a kids show and cause of the seizure incident and that it wasn't a sci-fi/action series. And than it became the biggest anime in the US at the time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Robot Carnival did get a 4K release. I think it came out around the same time Memories was re-issued and finally dubbed.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Robot-Carnival-4K-ULTRA-HD-Blu-ray

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Can't speak for the 4k release, but the Robot Carnival bluray is insanely gorgeous.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.
What's Robot Carnival about?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

What's Robot Carnival about?

It's a collection of shorts and the only thing they have in common is that each one has something to do with robots, whether directly or indirectly. It's pretty neat!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's one of Katsuhiro Otomo's jam sessions where he and his animator buddies let their creative id run wild.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I watched Sailor Moon Stars and the Kyoto Arc of Rurouni Kenshin on VHS fansubs that circulated around my middle school group. I also got the first 25 episodes of Naruto fansubbed sent to me by someone on a different forum I was on because we didn't have a DVD player in my house and my computer didn't have a cd burner at the time. My grandma was incredibly pissed because I gave my real name and address to internet strangers as a 14/15 year old.

Still, there's something about going in to a Hollywood Video or Blockbuster and grabbing random anime VHS tapes. I watched Gundam 0083 that way because my grandma wanted me to get something my brother would like when I was picking up the Sailor Moon R movie VHS. It's how I watched the first Tenchi Muyo OVA series, Slayers, Devil Hunter Yohko, Bubblegum Crisis and AD Police, Tokyo Babylon, the X/1999 movie, and a bunch of other stuff.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Play-Asia posted:

join us to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Bubblegum Crisis listening to the incredible music LPs and re:watching it at home with the unmissable – and extremely limited – Bubblegum Crisis 35th Box

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2022/07/20/bubblegame-crisis-konya-wa-hurricane/

They've released the soundtrack on limited edition vinyl, remastered for this year's 35th anniversary. :shepspends:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I watched Sailor Moon Stars and the Kyoto Arc of Rurouni Kenshin on VHS fansubs that circulated around my middle school group. I also got the first 25 episodes of Naruto fansubbed sent to me by someone on a different forum I was on because we didn't have a DVD player in my house and my computer didn't have a cd burner at the time. My grandma was incredibly pissed because I gave my real name and address to internet strangers as a 14/15 year old.

Still, there's something about going in to a Hollywood Video or Blockbuster and grabbing random anime VHS tapes. I watched Gundam 0083 that way because my grandma wanted me to get something my brother would like when I was picking up the Sailor Moon R movie VHS. It's how I watched the first Tenchi Muyo OVA series, Slayers, Devil Hunter Yohko, Bubblegum Crisis and AD Police, Tokyo Babylon, the X/1999 movie, and a bunch of other stuff.

Good stuff, I've been meaning to see Tenchi lately. Blue Seed is one that was a video store classic for me, and all those cool OVAs. In general any solid anime I missed from the 90s looks extra appealing now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I remember seeing episodes of Tenshi ni Narumon, Mamotte Shugogetten, Nadesico, Card Captor Sakura, Cowboy Bebop, Saber Marionette, Lost Universe, Video Girl Ai, Love Hina, Hyper Police, You're Under Arrest, and other shows at my university anime club in the late 90s. A lot of which are still not available for streaming, for whatever reason.

I had really wanted to see Ah My Goddess but I think that had already aired before I stepped foot on campus. Seeing it now, it seems ok but not as fun as I had hoped it to be.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

sb hermit posted:

I remember seeing episodes of Tenshi ni Narumon, Mamotte Shugogetten, Nadesico, Card Captor Sakura, Cowboy Bebop, Saber Marionette, Lost Universe, Video Girl Ai, Love Hina, Hyper Police, You're Under Arrest, and other shows at my university anime club in the late 90s. A lot of which are still not available for streaming, for whatever reason.

I had really wanted to see Ah My Goddess but I think that had already aired before I stepped foot on campus. Seeing it now, it seems ok but not as fun as I had hoped it to be.

Right on, that's some anime right there.

On Ah My Goddess, have you tried both the OVA and the TV show? Two different flavors. AMG is more mushy and vibe oriented I'd say, but it's got some good comedy. Season 2 went on my backlog 100 years ago, been watching it lately.

That's one that is cemented as just mondo classic for me. Though from what I hear the long-running manga may have lost the magic a bit by the end of it's run. Belldandy has gonna be on the Mount Rushmore of anime. She's the Honest Abe of Anime.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, that's some anime right there.

On Ah My Goddess, have you tried both the OVA and the TV show? Two different flavors. AMG is more mushy and vibe oriented I'd say, but it's got some good comedy. Season 2 went on my backlog 100 years ago, been watching it lately.

That's one that is cemented as just mondo classic for me. Though from what I hear the long-running manga may have lost the magic a bit by the end of it's run. Belldandy has gonna be on the Mount Rushmore of anime. She's the Honest Abe of Anime.

Good point. I didn't realize there was both a tv show and OVA. I'll have to give it a second look.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What of the Tenchi Cinematic Universe is worth watching anyway

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I liked Tenchi Muyo In Love quite a bit when it played on SciFi.

Never saw the second.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Probably the only Tenchi Muyo that can be recommended is the first movie (Tenchi Muyo in Love), which is based on the canon of the first tv series. You don't even have to watch the tv series to enjoy it.

The 3 OVA series, which share a continuous canon, are a mixed bag but the first two seasons can probably be considered "classic" Tenchi. It's ok if you like mindless slapstick. I think they showed it on Toonami at some point, and that release was well known for trying to cover up the nudity. I tried watching the 3rd season but it's really boring and I think I only got halfway through it.

The first tv series (tenchi universe, aka tenchi tv) is supposedly ok, but I've never watched it. The second tv series (tenchi in tokyo) has its own canon but I don't recall it being very popular. The 3rd tv series (magical project s) has its own canon but is very Sasami specific and is more of a spinoff. I haven't bothered watching the 4th tv series (tenchi muyo gx or something), and all I know is that it's the one that doesn't even feature Tenchi but is based on the universe in the OVA.

The second movie (Daughter of Darkness) is supposedly based on on the OVA (except for the fact that one of the main ensemble characters is not really supposed to appear since she's a footnote in the OVA, but a main character some of the rest of the series) but it's mostly forgettable.

The third movie (Tenchi Muyo in Love 2) is very slow and if you can stay awake for the entire thing then you deserve a cookie.

EDIT: Added names to the movies since it could be confusing

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 30, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just checked wikipedia and apparently there was a 6th series, "Ai Tenchi Muyo", that was released in 2014 and was 60 episodes.

I just about dropped my jaw until I read further and found out that each episode is 4 minutes each.

Nevertheless, I think they were originally picked up by Funimation and have yet to be migrated to Crunchyroll so maybe it's good for short doses.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Part of what makes Tenchi TV unique is that is basically reboots itself over the course of the seasons. So maybe the first run is Ryoko being an ancient Demon that was sealed away and then released by Tenchi, while the next one she may be an intergalactic pirate that gets stuck on earth and wants to steal Tenchi away from his prearranged marriage from Ayeka.

In a world before the internet was massive and you were able to glean all the information you wanted at a glance, the disequilibrium was very fun!

fat frog
Nov 22, 2021

fat fuck frog
no doubt you guys have seen gunsmith cats. what are everyone's thoughts on it? i honestly didn't think it was great, but at only three episodes, it's worth the watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Solid is the word I'd use for Gunsmith Cats. It does what it sets out to do well and looks good while doing it. It's not really groundbreaking, but it is entertaining and hit at a good time to be fondly remembered. One place it really excels is in fight scene geometry. The shootouts and fights all make great use of the environment and it's very easy to keep track of the action without getting lost due to wonky storyboarding or excessively flashy animation.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tenchi wasn't the only OAV to get a reworked story for its TV series. Patlabor, El Hazard and Nuku Nuku all got different stories for their TV and it really feels weird today as there wasn't that large of a gap between the OAV and the TV series to warrant retelling stuff let alone doing things differently

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

regarding gunsmith cats, It's fun and I like it. I really love to see any anime that takes place in the States (although I've yet to watch Baccano). And supposedly, it really nails the Chicago aesthetic really well. I guess, along with Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell, they're easier forays into anime of that era for people that just want to dip a toe into it and not be watching something like Totoro.

Speaking of American culture, there's an 1986 OVA on youtube called California Crisis that, I think, captures a similar vibe. Supposedly, it's supposed to be a 2-part series but I guess it didn't make enough to get a sequel produced. It's also a pretty mindless watch, but it can be kinda fun.

Taking another brief look at the gunsmith cats ova on youtube, there's a lot of scenes where Rally suffers embarrassing clothing damage so it'll be off the table for the kinds of anime to recommend in 2022. Probably a better choice in the same era would be something like Yokohama Shopping Log, although there's no action in it whatsoever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That all reminds me of another retro aspect of anime, dubs. At least for me and others I've noticed, just mainly stopped watching dubs. But have a lot of nostalgia and still like those early ones. Gunsmith Cats was a funny dub my friends would quote too. "You may be ex-KGB, but money is your master now!"

And all those outtakes extras, and stuff like the Blue Seed omake, man that stuff is funny. Pretty much Cowboy Bebop is the only show I still watch dubbed, tried both ways but it just adds a little extra something for me. But I might pop on another dub sometime. Also Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust of course.

I love the Lupin classic voice cast too much to watch it another way, but the Manga Ent dub of Castle of Cagliostro with David Hayter was fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yu Yu Hakusho had a decent dub as well.

I showed someone the Fist of the North Star dub and their face was just shocked Pikachu over the wuality of the VA work.

And I was like "yo, this is pretty good co sodering the state of things back then".

It's really hard to believe that the VA industry wasn't there for anime dubs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FilthyImp posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho had a decent dub as well.

Gehhhh...Urameshi!!!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i remember having to watch a lot of getbackers at my friends house he stole off the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A lot of dubs back then have a certain wild west energy to them that is mostly lost these days. There's certainly still excellent dubs coming out but I do miss the stuff you'd get from Manga Entertainment or ADV or hell, even Central Park Media. They have their own vibe to them while stuff today is on the whole more in line with the original voice tracks but done in English.