Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I appreciate this thread. I've been doing a lot of thinking about older anime and older anime fandom lately and what it was like being a fan from like the late 90s to around 2010ish. Seems like a good place to drop some of my thoughts once I get them settled.

I recently re-watched AMV Hell 3 (don't judge me I was bored as hell), and while there's a lot in it that hasn't aged well, I think it stands up as a really interesting time capsule of mid-2000s anime fandom.

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

I really, really, enjoy 80s anime OVAs a lot.
I don't know if anyone here has ever seen Bubble gum crisis but it's really good.
It's a little corny, but, in a good way. It's a magic girl anime about a team of 5 what are basically half power rangers half Sailor Moon girls. I believe the plot is about them fight corruption and the government and basically the Japanese cyberpunk mafia.
It's dope and I enjoyed it quite a bit. You should check it out if you haven't seen it. There's several seasons and some movies.
Bubblegum Crisis is probably my absolute favorite anime ever right after Evangelion. It's so loving good.

Heavy Metal posted:

Bubblegum Crisis is so good, incredible music and 80s vibes of course. Megazone 23 is up that alley. I'm a big fan of the 90s BGC remake Tokyo 2040, lotta fun with those chill late 90s vibes too.
Ehh. 2040 is a decent series but it's kind of a bad reimagining and the later parts of it suffer a lot from being made in a post-Evangelion period.

Srice posted:

Something I do miss about that era is how most seasons would have one or two big shows that everyone in a community would be watching, whether they were enjoying it or if they merely felt the need to have a take on it (but something I really don't miss about that era is people making a huge deal about dropping a show haha). It doesn't happen much these days but that's more a factor of the oversaturation of entertainment as a whole no matter the medium, really.
I really kind of miss that big community feeling of it seeming like EVERYONE was watching certain shows every season. You don't really get that much anymore.

Heavy Metal posted:

I dig it! Lotta funny DVD promos, that Manga Ent. one with KMFDM is classic. And all the ADV DVDs with that "What is anime?" info clip that would start playing.
Can we talk about how loving cool Manga Entertainment's trailer for End of Eva is?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnxKeUhotXI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Remember how there was a period where it felt like EVERYONE was an Azumanga fan and every single forum regardless of its focus would have at least one person with an Azumanga avatar or signature image? I kind of miss that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vandar posted:

I appreciate this thread.

We appreciate you, anime crew in the house!

quote:

Bubblegum Crisis is probably my absolute favorite anime ever right after Evangelion. It's so loving good.

Ehh. 2040 is a decent series but it's kind of a bad reimagining and the later parts of it suffer a lot from being made in a post-Evangelion period.

I tells ya, what I find after discussing digging or not digging a thing over the years, we all just have a different experience. Since BGC is your fav, that see-saw is not gonna be as kind on 2040. For me, while BGC was one of my first DVDs (AnimEigo's release came in a huge PC game style box with jewel cases), I found it kind of a 7/10. Though still something I like a lot about, and enjoy. Where as for me, BGC 2040 is majorly underrated, it has a late 90s slacker charm not far removed from Bebop etc. Though it's got much lower budget looking animation and whatnot. So my point there, I actually like BGC 2040 even better. I know that's a less popular take, and it's cool to hear you didn't like it as much, but we're coming from different places there I think.

But I also showed the first ep to a friend of mine just last week, so I'm a bit of a 2040 nut.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 30, 2022

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I will gladly admit that I think 2040 Nene is a huge improvement over the original character and I like her a whole bunch.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, Nene owns.

On the less community touchstone shows thing, agreed there, and always interesting. I hear about that with TV and music a lot too, just everybody paying attention to different stuff. With the more niche specialized interests etc. On movie podcasts with Tarantino etc they often say that too.

Though I haven't watched an airing show in a long time. I kind of like the vibe of the movie fan crowd, or comic fans, just digging into stuff from a few years ago and spreading the word. If there are some unstoppable hits that command us to watch them though, I wouldn't mind a bit of that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I need to re-watch it but I remember liking Silent Mobius a lot in that weird loving way

Arc Hammer posted:

A lot of dubs back then have a certain wild west energy to them that is mostly lost these days. There's certainly still excellent dubs coming out but I do miss the stuff you'd get from Manga Entertainment or ADV or hell, even Central Park Media. They have their own vibe to them while stuff today is on the whole more in line with the original voice tracks but done in English.

Hey y'all there's a giant robot 'bout step on my house I don't like that none

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hey y'all there's a giant robot 'bout step on my house I don't like that none
I was just thinking that a Retro VA for Tanjiro from Demon Slayer would totally have a Jersey or Country Hick accent.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
4kids sucked don't get me wrong, but I feel the Internet nowadays regards it with a semi-fond nostalgia now. Anyone else agree?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They worked on poo poo like YuGiOh. Of course their work has a sort of nostalgic cache.

Streamline gave me Leonardo Turtle Kanaeda, after all.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I showed someone the Fist of the North Star dub and their face was just shocked Pikachu over the wuality of the VA work.

And I was like "yo, this is pretty good co sodering the state of things back then".

It's really hard to believe that the VA industry wasn't there for anime dubs.

What's funny is the cast for the movie has some solid actors in it, but the script is just an absolutely incomprehensible mess and the direction is just flat out weird

The TV show didn't fare much better with that terrible drum and bass soundtrack but it at least had a closer script. I'm a little sad there wasn't an option on the Discotek release to have English VO + original score but I have a feeling the sound/video Toei has to work with is in rough shape

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Streamline Pictures sure had some pretty good voicework and some real bad dub scripts.

They're definitely a big part of why a lot of folks were confused by Akira ages ago.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good soup! posted:

What's funny is the cast for the movie has some solid actors in it, but the script is just an absolutely incomprehensible mess and the direction is just flat out weird

The TV show didn't fare much better with that terrible drum and bass soundtrack but it at least had a closer script. I'm a little sad there wasn't an option on the Discotek release to have English VO + original score but I have a feeling the sound/video Toei has to work with is in rough shape

I liked the drum n bass tv soundtrack lol

The Streamline dub is a classic but not because it's good. But it is very, very quotable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly the whole original FotNS English tv release is funny as gently caress. Manga Ent desperate for money decided to try and release 150 episode tv series from 1984 because the movie was their second biggest hit after Akira, which only did those numbers because it was the second thing they released after Akira and people bought it expecting more of the same.

Someone, realising they had a massive dud on their hands trying to sell an ugly, often poorly animated 15 year old show, decided the the best way to spruce it up was with a contemporary soundtrack! Of cheap to license original music by people you will never have heard of!

They got up to episode 36 (48 depending on where you lived) before cutting their losses and cancelling the whole thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't get me wrong I love FotNS tv but it was a hard sell to Manga Ents casual fanbase who expected cutting edge movies and ovas.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not to mention VHS was a very unfriendly medium for actually selling longer TV series

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I think the only other company that tried to sell a show with more than 26 eps on VHS was VIZ, and they were selling to collectors and otaku. And I'm pretty sure they didn't finish either Ranma 1/2 or Urusei Yatsura

E: UY was actually AnimEigo which I thought originally then got confused because VIZ released the manga. And apparently they did finish it.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 30, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I think the only other company that tried to sell a show with more than 26 eps on VHS was VIZ, and they were selling to collectors and otaku. And I'm pretty sure they didn't finish either Ranma 1/2 or Urusei Yatsura

Viz finished Ranma but finished it on DVD and not on VHS. Same with Animeigo and UY,

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The original dub of Patlabor is better than the new one. This comparison of the Manga UK dub's take on the Illusion of Peace scene is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEPKcMhpHCY

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem with the Patlabor Dub for movie 2 is that the acting is really good but the script takes way to many liberties that stand out or change characters that I can't really like it

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vandar posted:

Remember how there was a period where it felt like EVERYONE was an Azumanga fan and every single forum regardless of its focus would have at least one person with an Azumanga avatar or signature image? I kind of miss that.

:chiyo:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The problem with the Patlabor Dub for movie 2 is that the acting is really good but the script takes way to many liberties that stand out or change characters that I can't really like it

I dont mind so much because I firmly believe that adaptations should make changes to suit the language being spoken. It might not always work out but I roll with it. So long as the story itself is conveying the same feel and message as the original I'm fine with liberties.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.

kirbysuperstar posted:

What of the Tenchi Cinematic Universe is worth watching anyway

Tenchi Muyo is always a go to for me but I saw it when I was young and that could just be nostalgia.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont mind so much because I firmly believe that adaptations should make changes to suit the language being spoken. It might not always work out but I roll with it. So long as the story itself is conveying the same feel and message as the original I'm fine with liberties.

Problem was it wasn't so much changing for the language as out right changing characters and scenes

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
If we're talking dubs and outtakes I gotta give a shout out to Wiess Kruez. It was absolutely awful no matter what language you watched it in but the dub outtakes are great.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tulalip Tulips posted:

If we're talking dubs and outtakes I gotta give a shout out to Weiss Kruez. It was absolutely awful no matter what language you watched it in but the dub outtakes are great.

Right on. Weiss Kruez is one of those shows I never saw, but the theme song from the trailer ruled so hard. Had to put it on anime mix CDs. Soul Hunter and whatnot, every anime theme ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNn_t6LY66g

I've been meaning to see the Sakura Wars OVAs, rocked that theme song a lot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Arc Hammer posted:

A lot of dubs back then have a certain wild west energy to them that is mostly lost these days. There's certainly still excellent dubs coming out but I do miss the stuff you'd get from Manga Entertainment or ADV or hell, even Central Park Media. They have their own vibe to them while stuff today is on the whole more in line with the original voice tracks but done in English.

this is absolutely true, it's like when they got the original english Lupin cast back for Part 5 it didn't really hit because the magic of the old Lupin dub (I think ADV?) was all the ad-libbing and riffing off a relatively plain script.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

If we're talking dubs and outtakes I gotta give a shout out to Wiess Kruez. It was absolutely awful no matter what language you watched it in but the dub outtakes are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8ohelYOY8&t=82s

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sometimes the side chick aint even a chick.

It's Wolf's Rain by studio BONES.

Got thru my revisit earlier in the week. An early studio masterpiece, cried pitiful tears for this peak Keiko Nobumoto (RIP) cast of edgy wolves and pitiful adults who spend all their time drinkin' and smokin'. Arguably the best soundtrack of any work of media periodt, and a dub so wonderful I've never seen it subbed(where it's apparently quite start-studded)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd do a coin flip between Bebop or Tokyo Godfathers being Keiko's best screenwriting credit. She knew how to write organic dialogue like nobody else.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd do a coin flip between Bebop or Tokyo Godfathers being Keiko's best screenwriting credit. She knew how to write organic dialogue like nobody else.

I prefer WR cuz Keiko Nobumoto's characters are actually talking to each other about their emotions for once. All the adult human characters and their interactions are powerfully Bebopy in feel. One of the better eps is where Hubb and Quent are just dicking around in a car gettin trashed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the whole original FotNS English tv release is funny as gently caress. Manga Ent desperate for money decided to try and release 150 episode tv series from 1984 because the movie was their second biggest hit after Akira, which only did those numbers because it was the second thing they released after Akira and people bought it expecting more of the same.

Someone, realising they had a massive dud on their hands trying to sell an ugly, often poorly animated 15 year old show, decided the the best way to spruce it up was with a contemporary soundtrack! Of cheap to license original music by people you will never have heard of!

They got up to episode 36 (48 depending on where you lived) before cutting their losses and cancelling the whole thing.

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't get me wrong I love FotNS tv but it was a hard sell to Manga Ents casual fanbase who expected cutting edge movies and ovas.

On top of this, too, is the show is cursed with having it's slowest, weakest arc (not counting all of FOTNS2 lol) with Shin, and the series doesn't find it's footing until Jagi and beyond when it goes from Mad Max with hosed Up Karate to Sorta-Greek Tragedy With Constellations and Fate and Exploding Heads and poo poo. It's a very hard sell before the series starts throwing interesting poo poo like Raoh, Souther, even characters like Ryuga

Rei had Daran Norris voice him and he sounds like he's just having a blast with it at times, so that's cool at least

I did like with Rei that the series stuck to its guns with his death and didn't pull some bullshit with him getting cured or saved or something, I loved the guy but it made the Ken vs Raoh aspect more interesting

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Part of me misses how wild some stuff was in the late 90s to early 2000s. One of my favorite sorta junk food type shows was Sorcerer Hunters, just this goofy action-comedy in the vein of Slayers or something, about a band of adventurers out beating up evil sorcerers. 24 episodes of light hearted goofing off that takes an insane dark dive for episodes 25/26.

Or Gestalt, which I only barely remember watching with my wife on one of our first dates cuz she was excited to have a boyfriend who liked anime and dug this weird OVA out of her pile of tapes.

Just all this stuff that would never get the green light in a modern era but was fun all the same. No way in hell you get Outlaw Star or G Gundam in the current anime environment, it feels like

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Those Who Hunt Elves...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As well they should. gently caress elves. Though being Japan they might take that literally...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Definitely a problem intrinsic to Japan, I say as I wheelbarrow out an entire tonne of Aragorn slash fics

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This all tracks, yes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Viggo is too cool.

Skypie posted:

Part of me misses how wild some stuff was in the late 90s to early 2000s. One of my favorite sorta junk food type shows was Sorcerer Hunters, just this goofy action-comedy in the vein of Slayers or something, about a band of adventurers out beating up evil sorcerers. 24 episodes of light hearted goofing off that takes an insane dark dive for episodes 25/26.

Or Gestalt, which I only barely remember watching with my wife on one of our first dates cuz she was excited to have a boyfriend who liked anime and dug this weird OVA out of her pile of tapes.

Just all this stuff that would never get the green light in a modern era but was fun all the same. No way in hell you get Outlaw Star or G Gundam in the current anime environment, it feels like

I'm with you, waxing anime nostalgic, does seem there was an eclectic mix of unpredictable varieties. Lotta cool things going on.

On Outlaw Star, which rules, one thing about that is it's a thing we don't see as much. Anime very different from the manga, where they kind of adapt a thing into a new story, really doing its own thing. At least that's what I gather, the manga isn't as well known for that show. It did come first though.

While being true to a manga rules 9 times out of 10, sometimes you got something really cool with that older way of doing it. I think if there's a quirky diamond in the rough 3 volume manga, maybe changing it up a bit adapting it could still be a cool thing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 31, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Definitely a problem intrinsic to Japan, I say as I wheelbarrow out an entire tonne of Aragorn slash fics

Aragorn / Arwen is too vanilla and best bestgirl Eowyn got the better deal with the author self-insert Faramir. If you want the real good stuff you get into the Aragorn/Gildor fic and tell stories about them roaming around Eriador while Glorfindel makes a surprise appearance in the second doujin tankoubon.

But when I say gently caress elves I say it in the sense of social revolution overthrowing those poncy upper classholes. Like Goblin Slayer but without the rape and genocide.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Those Who Hunt Elves...

loving kickass theme song I’ve heard a million times thanks to ADV previews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1I8znUQ6o

I’ve only watched one episode of the actual anime, I should probably fix that one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

it does not hold up at all, but there might be nothing more oldschool anime than the ghost stories dub