Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favourite Ghost Stories story is when I watched Halo Legends and the short film Odd One Out (with Spartan 1337) had some of the dub VAs from Ghost Storires reprise their Sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Skypie posted:

Just all this stuff that would never get the green light in a modern era but was fun all the same. No way in hell you get Outlaw Star or G Gundam in the current anime environment, it feels like

We still get weird and fun stuff that's original these days but it has to have a light novel or manga first given cross media marketing. Something like G Gundam for an established series feels like it wouldn't happen though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We'll never get a G Reco dub considering the way the movies continue to tank.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Sorcerer Hunters was one of those "oh this looks neat" VHS/dvd finds and I have a nostalgic fondness for it. It also had a great OP.

We had the International Channel and one of those fun teen memories I have is watching unsubbed Fushigi Yuugi with some friends and then looking online for synopsis of it later.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I legitimately never thought this was getting a US release again, so this is a shock.

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1553561706671923200

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

We still get weird and fun stuff that's original these days but it has to have a light novel or manga first given cross media marketing. Something like G Gundam for an established series feels like it wouldn't happen though

Sometimes it happens with completely original stuff too but unless it gets some real good word of mouth (Like say, last year's Oddtaxi) then it can just come and go without much notice.

Heck to tie it into older anime the creator of Dennou Coil directed a new anime this year, his first in almost 15 years! A sci-fi anime not based on anything (The Orbital Children). But for all intents and purposes it might as well not exist for most people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So apparently there was a pitch for a Ninja Scroll sequel a couple years back. Never got funded, but here's the teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvAsKZAYEak

Who can say if it would've been as good, but all the same I'm a little disappointed we never got to see it. Guess Madhouse was still recovering from Redline back then.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Watch Redline, by the way. And buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmNnkvC171w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9jWrj0ihHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbW6WXLeW4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't have been worse than the incredibly weird Ninja Scroll TV series

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alternatively: if you are a space fascist, do not watch Redline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnY_RgdTlZo

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Redline loving rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also has an incredible dub.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's good times.

Bad Seafood posted:

So apparently there was a pitch for a Ninja Scroll sequel a couple years back. Never got funded, but here's the teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvAsKZAYEak

Who can say if it would've been as good, but all the same I'm a little disappointed we never got to see it. Guess Madhouse was still recovering from Redline back then.

When Kawajiri wants to make Ninja Scroll 2, you say yes!!

I watched Eva Rebuild 1.11 by the way, really cool movie! First time seeing it, and haven't seen the series since last century. Talk about nostalgic. I gather it doesn't stay that way naturally, will definitely see the rest. Pen-Pen is always legit.

(edit: watched the rest of Rebuild, really enjoyed 'em, great movies. Hats off!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 5, 2022

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Well it appears Fist of the North Star has officially come out of the closet. 'Bout drat time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEztukPKebA

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is quite classy, they know what they're doing. Over here we may have a Toxic Avenger musical and a Beetlejuice musical, but tough to top Kenshiro and co. for sure.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

fat frog posted:

no doubt you guys have seen gunsmith cats. what are everyone's thoughts on it? i honestly didn't think it was great, but at only three episodes, it's worth the watch.
i am deeply worried that the new Bean Bandit OVA hasn't been subbed yet. from watching the trailer, i get the sneaking suspicion that sonoda is still just as much of a weirdo as he was 30 years ago.

Jomo posted:

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2022/07/20/bubblegame-crisis-konya-wa-hurricane/

They've released the soundtrack on limited edition vinyl, remastered for this year's 35th anniversary. :shepspends:

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
I saw your vinyl post in general chat thread; very cool. Would of ordered but currently in-between work so no spending money on cool things at the moment sadly.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

i am deeply worried that the new Bean Bandit OVA hasn't been subbed yet. from watching the trailer, i get the sneaking suspicion that sonoda is still just as much of a weirdo as he was 30 years ago.

That sucks. I've recently started collecting Dvds and Blu-rays of his works mostly to finally have a chance to sit down and watch the classic stuff like Gunsmith Cats, Riding Bean, the Bubblegum Franchise, etc; but also for the concept art extra features and the little artbook for the GC one; cause I really like the man's character designs, especially Rally and Bean's. I even recently read through the Gunsmith Cats manga (the 'revised' version on Amazon), and while it was mostly fine at the start, by the mid-point of the third volume the amount of nudity Sonoda kept wanting to inject into scenes to the point I was about ready to just drop the series.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

secretly best girl posted:

I legitimately never thought this was getting a US release again, so this is a shock.

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1553561706671923200

This is exciting! Smart timing too - there's a TON of UY hype because they're running a new 2022 UY this year. Lum's hair is finally gonna look like a space oil slick! Could be good, could make me grumpy, we shall see.

I'm doing an Escaflowne rewatch right now and holy poo poo I forgot how very good the animation, music, and overall world building are in that show. Still wins weirdest final villain award IMO.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This is exciting! Smart timing too - there's a TON of UY hype because they're running a new 2022 UY this year. Lum's hair is finally gonna look like a space oil slick! Could be good, could make me grumpy, we shall see.

I'm doing an Escaflowne rewatch right now and holy poo poo I forgot how very good the animation, music, and overall world building are in that show. Still wins weirdest final villain award IMO.

Hitomi having gravity powers does explain a lot of things that happen near the begining of the series.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Right??

Also the smallness of the anime industry really does get me. I worked with an animator recently, who early in his career worked at Anime Crash in the late 90s and omg the US anime stories he had, amazing.

Right Stuf is still around and just merged with Crunchyroll. ADV became Sentai Film works which is now HIDIVE. It's like the 00s and 10s with the glut of imported moe came around and only the established companies survived it.

Also super appreciated all the fansub talk on the first page. It's funny to me to see that 'once a show is licensed, throw out all your unofficial copies and support the industry!' is still a custom among young anime fans.

I did that for Tenshi ni Narumon when it was licensed, tossed my fansub tapes to buy the official stuff, and then Synch Point crashed and burned after releasing 13 eps only, and never released the second half of the series. Thankfully, someone has been kind enough to do Japanese DVD rips with soft-coded subs they took from the original Sachi Gumi fansubs. So at least I can sit down and do a full rewatch at more than 720p. Thank you, random anime fan I'll never meet!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Not that it's great art, TNN is more of a look at something that Could Have Been had it had a more cohesive production, but given that it's basically an Utena staff reunion, there's some cool poo poo in there.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

StrangersInTheNight posted:

maaya sakamoto + yoko kanno is tough to beat

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sunrise was having a pretty legendary run there, outstanding stuff for sure. Escaflowne, Bebop, 08th MS Team, great titles for getting into anime at the time too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Escaflowne, it was funny how that aired on American TV for a hot minute. They straight up cut the first episode to get to the giant robot faster.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Escaflowne, it was funny how that aired on American TV for a hot minute. They straight up cut the first episode to get to the giant robot faster.

Fox completely butchered the series in trying to make it a kid's show for small children.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vandar posted:

Fox completely butchered the series in trying to make it a kid's show for small children.
And they did everything they could to minimize Hitomi

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Escaflowne got off relatively light compared to what happened Card Captor Sakura.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Attention Thread: Mari Iijima just liked my instagram comment

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ardeem posted:

Escaflowne got off relatively light compared to what happened Card Captor Sakura.

tbh, I secretly wanted cardcaptors to be successful despite the butchering since I feel CLAMP never really got that wide western audience that I feel they deserve.

Then again, it's still a monkey paw wish

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

sb hermit posted:

tbh, I secretly wanted cardcaptors to be successful despite the butchering since I feel CLAMP never really got that wide western audience that I feel they deserve.

Then again, it's still a monkey paw wish

Yeah, and there were some things in CCS that the removal of made for a better story I'm sorry Clamp, but no, not all love is valid.:pedo::barf:, but Sakura being the main character was not one of them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ardeem posted:

Wait, don't you mean CardCaptors, with the irrqscable Lee Shawron as the main character and Sakura the bumbling holdover MC?

a thrilling adventure... A quest for all time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Watching TV networks try to chase that Pokémon cash sure led to some strange anime airing on Network TV.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
fighting foodons

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Leraika posted:

fighting foodons

I also think about Monster Rancher's anime and the totally rad kid roller skating (?) around and constantly saying "OH YEAHHH, I AM IN THE ZONE"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
this image has trolled me into finally watching death note

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TenementFunster posted:

this image has trolled me into finally watching death note

Happy to hear! It's so cool, instant classic.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Happy to hear! It's so cool, instant classic.
i've tried about three times since 2006, but The Goth GF always weirds me out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I probably would've enjoyed it if I hadn't tried to watch it at the height of its popularity with all of the lovely Light was Right assholes clogging up the discourse online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I watched it at the time without partaking in that kinda thing, but I do root for Light myself. It's fun to have a charming villain protagonist once in a while.