Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I miss the Emotion stinger you'd get from fansubs done from Japanese Laserdiscs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC7lUVIN_U8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get why your equating the explosion of digital fansubs with the growth of the internet but the early days of the internet absolutely lead to more VHS fansubs getting circulated around than them just staying at certain universities or fan clubs.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arctic animation had some super petty don't sell or steal warnings on their VHS fansubs so pettiness was 100% a thing than too

And yeah 06 and up digital fansubbing changed a lot with the ease of torrents and the arrival of streaming. But the thing is the internet already changed fansubbing greatly even earlier with arrival of the divx codec and using mirc and actually computer file DVD rips. My argument isn't so much that the internet didn't change subbing in 06, it did. But it also changed it greatly in 98-99 and heck it did with the growth of newsgroups and websites in the early 90's as well

Fansubbing is just so interesting to look at and there'd be an amazing book in it if somebody would look at it from a neutral pov

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kimagure Orange Road on VHS was my first fansubs watched and the first digital fansubs I watched/downloaded was Love Hina

Yes I feel old

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Its funny how much the Pokémon anime changed US TV for anime. Before than maybe some movies and the occasional dubbed TV show trying to make it. After it hit big it was full speed ahead with shows and Toonami

Amazing part is before it aired the general newsgroup consensus was it wouldn't work cause it was a kids show and cause of the seizure incident and that it wasn't a sci-fi/action series. And than it became the biggest anime in the US at the time

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tenchi wasn't the only OAV to get a reworked story for its TV series. Patlabor, El Hazard and Nuku Nuku all got different stories for their TV and it really feels weird today as there wasn't that large of a gap between the OAV and the TV series to warrant retelling stuff let alone doing things differently

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not to mention VHS was a very unfriendly medium for actually selling longer TV series

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I think the only other company that tried to sell a show with more than 26 eps on VHS was VIZ, and they were selling to collectors and otaku. And I'm pretty sure they didn't finish either Ranma 1/2 or Urusei Yatsura

Viz finished Ranma but finished it on DVD and not on VHS. Same with Animeigo and UY,

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem with the Patlabor Dub for movie 2 is that the acting is really good but the script takes way to many liberties that stand out or change characters that I can't really like it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont mind so much because I firmly believe that adaptations should make changes to suit the language being spoken. It might not always work out but I roll with it. So long as the story itself is conveying the same feel and message as the original I'm fine with liberties.

Problem was it wasn't so much changing for the language as out right changing characters and scenes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Skypie posted:

Just all this stuff that would never get the green light in a modern era but was fun all the same. No way in hell you get Outlaw Star or G Gundam in the current anime environment, it feels like

We still get weird and fun stuff that's original these days but it has to have a light novel or manga first given cross media marketing. Something like G Gundam for an established series feels like it wouldn't happen though

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Watching TV networks try to chase that Pokémon cash sure led to some strange anime airing on Network TV.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The second live action Guyver was an okay watch if you caught it on Cable in the 90's

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If you weren't into the VHS fansub scene it was easy to miss KOR but if you were into VHS fansubs it was one of the big series

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean Vampire's have been around Manga and anime even before Vampire Knight see Vampire Princess Miyu

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that's just not true. Video is probably assuming Shoujo is typical high school romance and ignoring that it's evolved over the years due to changing tastes, rise of otome games, and also the rise of light novels/genres blending together.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Actually I'd think odds are probably better for a new FY than they would be in the past given the trend for redoing or revisting old 80's/90's shows for either a new series or a reboot. I mean we got a new Tokyo Mew Mew anime this season of all things!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem is for every Street Fighter and Fatal Fury 90's anime you get an Art of Fighting, Battle Area Toshinden, Tekken, Voltage Fighter or....Samurai Showdown

Man the Samurai Showdown OAV annoys me to no end. While not as bad as say Art of Fighting it pisses me off more cause I was expecting so much more and....it's just not good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I'd love it if Disco could get ahold of RoD TV. (And if they have already, please let me know.)

It's an Aniplex series so it's never gonna leave Aniplex jail. At most they could do a cheaper BD release on like Crunchy/Funi now that Sony owns them (But I really doubt it)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Viz is still around and they're older than ADV!

While a lot of what Carl did for dubs wouldn't fly today it made sense in the 80's if you were trying to get the biggest audience possible. Just wish Streamline would of done more subbed releases but IIRC Carl at the time said that should be left to fansubbers which I'm sure had no ramifications at all on the future of the industry

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A lot of the early UK dubs tended to replace the opening with either metal songs or Dance songs and those dubs would filter over via US Manga corps and eventually Manga Video itself. The original Dominion Tank Police was an example of this

It didn't take long for Streamline to have competition on the market with companies doing subs though, US renditions and Central Park Media started up in 90 and Animeigo and ADV joined soon afterwards. Plus fansubs were around in the big anime markets via clubs and universities and were an openly welcome part of the market so it's not like subs were hard to find.

Not to mention the next big anime hit for the home video market would kinda of force the issues of faitful adaptations more than any other show up to that point. Akira and Bubblegum Crisis? yeah they're set in Japan but are futuristic enough you can work around things for dubs (Not that they did for BGC mind you). But Ranma 1/2? You really can't ignore Japanese culture in it and you can tell Viz really struggled with it and did some missteps but it being a hit really brought that debate front and center

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah ADV's fall is super messy financial wise that it's not shocking Sentai split off on it's own with not ties despite being really the same company. And why you'll see some odd releases with ADV still on it from a few years back

Viz is still around and just recently released Yashahime on BD!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Found an interesting rabbit hole to go down today - 1988 catalog from Gaga trying to sell various anime to the US and meeting things halfway in terms of adaptation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1B7UNEL68

The funny thing is if you look at the full catalog it's pretty much most of the big early OAV releases that came from Animeigo and US Manga Corps so it ended up being a success

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

None are as good as the original but 2 is fun enough, 3 is kinda of bleah even though it has an Obari cut (they introduced a guy to have A-ko and B-ko pine over so bleah) and 4 is actually a pretty good wrap up to the series. The VS OAV isn't good but is amusing if you treat it as fanfiction/doujin getting an animation

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In Canada so we didn't get Sci-fi channel we had Space. I'm not sure Space had the A-ko movies in it's limited window of CPM anime it aired at the start but that's ages ago so I could have forgotten

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

IIRC that block was most Genom stuff though I didn't watch a lot of it at the time as I was fully into buying DVD's and downloading DivX fansubs

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if I've talked about it in here or not but I just don't understand the Tenchi creator. He made this elaborate scifi universe/multiverse, full of all these neat ideas about cosmic beings and civilizations, and technology and then he obscures all of it behind a harem anime.

Urusei Yatsura was still huge so going for that dynamic but with a bit more focus on a serious sci-fi side feels like a great pitch at the time and at times it felt like Tenchi was going to do it....Only to not do it and just lean more into the harem side of things. But than that's probably cause Tenchi has large gaps inbetween series too

El Hazzard feels like a much better version of a Tenchi type show and I think holds up way better though some of the Tenchi spin offs like Pretty Sammy are low key important series

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The original Bubblegum Crisis still has the best music and atmosphere but 2040 is the better story simply cause it feels complete whereas the original OAV suffered from having a lot of interesting ideas it didn't fully develop cause it was an OAV

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The VHS fan subber drama you'd see some groups do during eye catches/end credits sure was something. Arctic animation fansubs were particularly not subtle about this

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vandar posted:

I am shocked, SHOCKED! that I never had any of my volumes of Love Hina confiscated in high school.

Love Hina's place in English anime world is weird as at the time it was such an important series in the first big manga explosion and now it's...just forgotten.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vandar posted:

I feel like if Ken Akamatsu hadn't ended up butting heads with the industry and hadn't decided to get involved in politics, we'd probably be seeing some kind of revival of his older work.

Negima despite not being as big when it was running still is known and isn't forgotten so I'm not sure it's this

FilthyImp posted:

It was a novelty because, basically, Ranma didnt really break through to the mainstream and Tenchi shifted premise so readily that the whole Harem thing kind of took a backseat to figuring out wtf was going on with this particular incarnation.

There's such a flood of contemporaries now that it's kind of just there.

I also feel like there's a bit of embarrassment looking back at it.

It's more this....It stood out as it was the big rom com that was part of Tokyopop's first wave of graphic novel only manga. Once older stuff came out it really just didn't hold up even in the mid 2000's

Also people not liking the anime ending didn't help!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While wild ADV really couldn't match peak US Manga corps which had stuff like Project A-ko and than also released Genocyber and Crystal triangle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like if you remove Robotech from Harmony Gold it's an interesting adaptation and has it's own unique story bits that I'd be perfectly fine with getting more stuff for. But you can separate it from Harmony Gold and it's BS with Macross and that's sad in a way