Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I appreciate this thread. I've been doing a lot of thinking about older anime and older anime fandom lately and what it was like being a fan from like the late 90s to around 2010ish. Seems like a good place to drop some of my thoughts once I get them settled.

I recently re-watched AMV Hell 3 (don't judge me I was bored as hell), and while there's a lot in it that hasn't aged well, I think it stands up as a really interesting time capsule of mid-2000s anime fandom.

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

I really, really, enjoy 80s anime OVAs a lot.
I don't know if anyone here has ever seen Bubble gum crisis but it's really good.
It's a little corny, but, in a good way. It's a magic girl anime about a team of 5 what are basically half power rangers half Sailor Moon girls. I believe the plot is about them fight corruption and the government and basically the Japanese cyberpunk mafia.
It's dope and I enjoyed it quite a bit. You should check it out if you haven't seen it. There's several seasons and some movies.
Bubblegum Crisis is probably my absolute favorite anime ever right after Evangelion. It's so loving good.

Heavy Metal posted:

Bubblegum Crisis is so good, incredible music and 80s vibes of course. Megazone 23 is up that alley. I'm a big fan of the 90s BGC remake Tokyo 2040, lotta fun with those chill late 90s vibes too.
Ehh. 2040 is a decent series but it's kind of a bad reimagining and the later parts of it suffer a lot from being made in a post-Evangelion period.

Srice posted:

Something I do miss about that era is how most seasons would have one or two big shows that everyone in a community would be watching, whether they were enjoying it or if they merely felt the need to have a take on it (but something I really don't miss about that era is people making a huge deal about dropping a show haha). It doesn't happen much these days but that's more a factor of the oversaturation of entertainment as a whole no matter the medium, really.
I really kind of miss that big community feeling of it seeming like EVERYONE was watching certain shows every season. You don't really get that much anymore.

Heavy Metal posted:

I dig it! Lotta funny DVD promos, that Manga Ent. one with KMFDM is classic. And all the ADV DVDs with that "What is anime?" info clip that would start playing.
Can we talk about how loving cool Manga Entertainment's trailer for End of Eva is?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnxKeUhotXI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Remember how there was a period where it felt like EVERYONE was an Azumanga fan and every single forum regardless of its focus would have at least one person with an Azumanga avatar or signature image? I kind of miss that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I will gladly admit that I think 2040 Nene is a huge improvement over the original character and I like her a whole bunch.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Those Who Hunt Elves...

loving kickass theme song I’ve heard a million times thanks to ADV previews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1I8znUQ6o

I’ve only watched one episode of the actual anime, I should probably fix that one day.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Escaflowne, it was funny how that aired on American TV for a hot minute. They straight up cut the first episode to get to the giant robot faster.

Fox completely butchered the series in trying to make it a kid's show for small children.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

That movie is pretty darn entertaining. I was thinking if there had been a good western made anime movie, that's the best we've got!

Edit: Speed Racer of course

Speed Racer owns so much and I weep every day for the sequel we'll never have.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Death Note being old school anime makes me feel old...school. I was thinking like 80s, maybe 90s.

Like Fushigi Yuugi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrz0e9BGaJs

Huge anime music nerd and FY has one of the all time great and underrated soundtracks. David Hayter of Solid Snake fame voiced the male lead in the dub which is at least part of why I first watched it initially. But I'm glad i did since it has a lot more going for it than that.

I never got around to Fushigi Yuugi but I remembering stumbling onto the op and falling it love with it. It's on one of my random CD-Rs with a ton of old anime songs burnt onto it that I used to listen to in the car.

Older anime OPs/EDs really do hit different.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I’m so far out of touch with modern anime/manga that I just realized I have no idea what modern shoujo looks like.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

That’s honestly kind of depressing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Whatcha gonna do, little Buckaroo?

Hey you, you better ask her nice!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SUCH A SHAME THE EARL OF STROHEIM MAY NOT LIVE WITH SUCH DISGRACE.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Street Fighter II movie fuckin' owned.

Sadly the same cannot be said for Street Fighter II V.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Is Ruin Explorers any good?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TIL Project A-Ko has sequels. Huh.

Somehow I missed the entire Tenchi franchise. I'm not sure HOW but the entire thing ended up scooting past me...except for Dual, which I didn't even realize was a Tenchi thing until after I had finished watching it.

Also wow looking it up and there's a lot more Tenchi spinoffs than I thought.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I did a rewatch of 2040 recently with a friend and...it's okay. Better than I remember. Still doesn't really hold a candle to the original, but it's okay. I do like the updated redesigns for the main four a bunch though.

Ardeem posted:

2040 was a weird series, the first half had good mech design and nothing resembling a coherent plot, and the back half had incoherent hardsuits and a decent plot.

The back half of the series honestly feels to me like it's suffering from Evangelionitis. Like, End of Eva came out during its development and there's parts of things where you can almost physically *feel* how much they want to take from EoE.

I'd have to pull up my chat log with my friend from when when we watched it but I was keeping a running tally of how many things felt like they were ripped right out of the later parts of Eva.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Orange Road is one of those series that I've always heard is supposed to be incredible, I've just never gotten around to it because there's just so much else out there.

Maybe I should make some time to finally check it out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

KariOhki posted:

I was a bit too young to be a fansub tape renter, but somewhat related - finding out about the changes for-TV dubs made from the original series, major or minor, was always super intriguing to me growing up. I was the kid in the anime friend group who could internet real good, so I'd print out lists of changes from various fansites and bring them to school, where in one case (Tenchi Muyo's changes for Toonami) they got confiscated for having inappropriate material on them.

I am shocked, SHOCKED! that I never had any of my volumes of Love Hina confiscated in high school.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Love Hina's place in English anime world is weird as at the time it was such an important series in the first big manga explosion and now it's...just forgotten.

I feel like if Ken Akamatsu hadn't ended up butting heads with the industry and hadn't decided to get involved in politics, we'd probably be seeing some kind of revival of his older work.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The anime kind of sucked as a whole.

As does like, most of the anime adaptations of his work.

I'm still grumpy we never got an adaption of Negami's school festival arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://x.com/bunnycartoon/status/1785439533250613747