Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Part of me misses how wild some stuff was in the late 90s to early 2000s. One of my favorite sorta junk food type shows was Sorcerer Hunters, just this goofy action-comedy in the vein of Slayers or something, about a band of adventurers out beating up evil sorcerers. 24 episodes of light hearted goofing off that takes an insane dark dive for episodes 25/26.

Or Gestalt, which I only barely remember watching with my wife on one of our first dates cuz she was excited to have a boyfriend who liked anime and dug this weird OVA out of her pile of tapes.

Just all this stuff that would never get the green light in a modern era but was fun all the same. No way in hell you get Outlaw Star or G Gundam in the current anime environment, it feels like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

On the other hand, Richard Epcar as Batou. Guy just lives and breathes the character.

I miss Animaze dubs. They're not always the best but when they hit they hit perfectly and they had an absolute powerhouse lineup of voice talent.

It's also hard for me to think of anyone else but Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as the Major

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
The best role Tiffany Grant ever had was in Burn Up as the tech head whose laptop gets blasted and she opens fire on the bad guys while screaming "arrrrggghhh HAVE ANOTHER LEAD ENEMA, SLIME BALLS!!"

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

KariOhki posted:

I read Sorcerer Hunters in class a few times. Teachers probably just thought "oh a kid is reading!that's good!" without looking to see what was on some of those covers.

Sorcerer Hunters was something I was introduced to by my wife when we first started dating. She said "wanna watch this weird anime with me?" when I was visiting her place one time.

It was at the same time we also watched Gestalt, which was super bizarre and she's still mad there's only one OAV episode

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Was scrolling through streaming services on Sunday night looking for something to just veg out with, and all the sudden my wife goes "hey, do you think the Fatal Fury movie is on Crunchyroll?" and it turns out, yes, it is. I'd never seen it before but the wife wanted to take a trip down memory lane since she apparently loved it as a young teen and even convinced her parents to let her dress up as Mai Shiranui for Halloween

Unfortunately, the nostalgia did not hold up for her :lmao:

It's not great, and also they just straight up stole the Chun-Li shower scene from the Street Fighter 2 movie cuz there's a brief panning shot of Mai in an almost identical pose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Now this is the kind of thing that is always fun to post. FF movie hit Japan in July '94, SF II movie in August '94! Boom! A win for SNK

See I wondered about the dates too, and I swear when I looked them up, the SF2 movie was a January of 94 release. But I was looking this up at 1am after I'd been moving boxes up and down 3 flights of stairs for like 7 hours.

I wonder what the hell I saw that was a Jan 94 release...

e: ok looking again, I think what I saw on Google was Street Fighter II V, which was January 96. I'd looked up FF first, saw July 94 then saw the SF2 thing for January and my brain just auto-completed the "19" to "1994" so welp

Skypie fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 23, 2024