Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Heavy Metal posted:

oldschool anime

this is elder abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I think my heart still dwells with the late 90s and early 2000s anime I watched when I was a teenager.

There's something about that era of anime that feels like the ringing of a deep bell, or a well still full of water.

I think what resonated with me so deeply was a sense of loneliness. A lot of anime are about young people whose identities aren't set in stone yet. Their sense of self is still mutable. Technology interfaces with the self. Their bodies change shape, digitize, or merge with machines. I don't think this is unique to the anime that was contemporary with my youth. Much older shows like Mobile Suit Gundam and Rose of Versailles are very much about loneliness, and about how the world interferes with the realization of one's self.

I've always been really grateful to have had a connection to anime in my life when I did. Things were tough from the time I was 11 until I left for college. I was bullied at school and treated poorly at home, and I didn't have friends for most of my life. I was a very misanthropic child. But I still remember crying when I watched Haibane Renmei, and having dreams about Kino's Journey. When I watched Lain or .hack//SIGN, I felt recognized. And when I watched Fruit's Basket or Haruhi or Aria the Animation, I felt like I was watching a model for what a good life could be like. Even though I was lonely, those stories filled me with hope.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
That last post was too sincere. Please watch this funimation trailer from one of my Detective Conan dvds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaPLXc8khs&t=38s

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I like .hack//SIGN, and I think it's aged pretty decently for what it is--a dialogue-heavy show about nerds hanging out in an MMORPG. I think most people probably watched one of the dot hack animes before they played any of the games. SIGN in particular really doesn't rely on much knowledge about the whole weird dot hack universe.

It's got fun character designs and environments, and some of Yuki Kajiura's all-time best music going for it mostly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B588Yp8uF0