Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I showed someone the Fist of the North Star dub and their face was just shocked Pikachu over the wuality of the VA work.

And I was like "yo, this is pretty good co sodering the state of things back then".

It's really hard to believe that the VA industry wasn't there for anime dubs.

What's funny is the cast for the movie has some solid actors in it, but the script is just an absolutely incomprehensible mess and the direction is just flat out weird

The TV show didn't fare much better with that terrible drum and bass soundtrack but it at least had a closer script. I'm a little sad there wasn't an option on the Discotek release to have English VO + original score but I have a feeling the sound/video Toei has to work with is in rough shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the whole original FotNS English tv release is funny as gently caress. Manga Ent desperate for money decided to try and release 150 episode tv series from 1984 because the movie was their second biggest hit after Akira, which only did those numbers because it was the second thing they released after Akira and people bought it expecting more of the same.

Someone, realising they had a massive dud on their hands trying to sell an ugly, often poorly animated 15 year old show, decided the the best way to spruce it up was with a contemporary soundtrack! Of cheap to license original music by people you will never have heard of!

They got up to episode 36 (48 depending on where you lived) before cutting their losses and cancelling the whole thing.

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't get me wrong I love FotNS tv but it was a hard sell to Manga Ents casual fanbase who expected cutting edge movies and ovas.

On top of this, too, is the show is cursed with having it's slowest, weakest arc (not counting all of FOTNS2 lol) with Shin, and the series doesn't find it's footing until Jagi and beyond when it goes from Mad Max with hosed Up Karate to Sorta-Greek Tragedy With Constellations and Fate and Exploding Heads and poo poo. It's a very hard sell before the series starts throwing interesting poo poo like Raoh, Souther, even characters like Ryuga

Rei had Daran Norris voice him and he sounds like he's just having a blast with it at times, so that's cool at least

I did like with Rei that the series stuck to its guns with his death and didn't pull some bullshit with him getting cured or saved or something, I loved the guy but it made the Ken vs Raoh aspect more interesting

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Leraika posted:

fighting foodons

I also think about Monster Rancher's anime and the totally rad kid roller skating (?) around and constantly saying "OH YEAHHH, I AM IN THE ZONE"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The First of the North Star live action movie is unintentionally funny as hell and even features Shin in a ripoff of that famous Lenin poster lol

It also never explains what the first of the North Star is or why it's so unique and renames Jagi to Jackal and just makes him a rando instead of Ken's brother

Instead of Raoh killing Ryuken, who is played by Malcolm McDowell,Shin shows up and shoots him in the face in the first five minutes of the movie

Clint Howard is in it

Rufio is, too

Also the DVD has a commentary track with Ken's actor, Gary Daniels, and he spends a good amount of time dunking on the director and editing lol

It's a goofy rear end experience

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUzAJIhjbrI

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Animaze did a great job most of the time and they pretty much cemented their legacy by going all-out with their Bebop dub, which is spectacular even now imo. You've also got Big O, Akira's redub, and definitely GITS

They do have a few low points though. I found the dub for Gundam 0080 was decent but 0083 man, yikes, aside from a few voices there is a lot of bad acting in that. Guys like Burning and such have good casting but the dude playing Kou is loving awful. 8th Ms Team had a solid dub too imo

Edit: also Epcar as Batou is so good. I was thinking again the other day how the GITS live action movie messed up a lot, but one small thing that stood out was the casting for Batou. I don't know why they casted Pilou Asbæk when you have Holt McCallany, a guy that not only looks like a perfect Batou but also sounds quite similar to Epcar, right fuckin there

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 5, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

the GITS:SAC and Cowboy Bebop are some of the least terrible dubs out there

They don't even approach terrible, op

Both the tachikomas and Ed could be super annoying and off-putting at times, but Mushroom Samba was entertaining and the way they handled Ed in her final appearance was great

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was always bummed Cromartie was on that poo poo G4 channel instead of Adult Swim where it likely would have found a (somewhat) wider audience it deserved

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Discotek did a good job with that Fist of the North Star Legend of Raoh movie with the long rear end name, the dub is pretty drat good from what I've heard so far

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chris Sabat as Souther is some good poo poo and they got the same Kenshiro from Lost Paradise back, it's cool

Edit, also Jesus CHRIST, are they gonna fuckin license the other two seasons of Ippo or what, I got my fuckin money ready you jerks

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm interested in the same thing, because they've had a steady stream of releases since they first started scooping up licenses and they've made every indication that the stuff they've done has sold well enough to keep growing their library

Wasn't it LOGH that had some ridiculous stipulations for licensing it for a long time? On top of a high cost? I wonder what's keeping the stuff in high demand like Monster from getting picked up again

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

I don't know about licensing, but back in the early 2000s, the original publisher floated a signup to gauge interest in a US DVD release. They wanted to see how many commitments they could get for a full series set retailing at $6000, iirc. Shockingly, they did not reach their target number.

lol what the gently caress

I have this weird memory of there being some requirement that it needed to be on primetime tv or some oddball horseshit but I likely have that completely confused with something else

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Dubbed Fist of the Northstar movie on YT (unless it gets taken down lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxl0dICRna4

Interestingly this is the old Streamline dub over the Japanese version of the movie (no English title or credits, also wrong movie in the thumbnail lol) not gotten far enough to see if it has the full ending or the incomplete one used for the dub version.

I have insane nostalgia for this but had forgotten how utterly weird a movie it was. It really ramps up the mysticism and 'Kenshiro as the messiah' stuff.

The original dub is ridiculous because the actual voice cast is decent, but the script goes out of its way to avoid any sort of faithful adaptation lol, it never explains what the gently caress hokuto shinken is (IIRC the Japanese version has a short monologue over Ken shaving off his beard and streamline decided to just leave it silent)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Carl Macek did a long, in-depth interview about his career and the stuff he worked on and the industry in general some years ago, and he sounded super reasonable and down-to-earth and appeared to be completely unfazed by the hate he got over time lol

Can't remember what anime site it was, it was something like a decade ago, but it's worth a listen into how robotech took off and how streamline landed other licenses and went out of their way to avoid others

He also completely shits over ADV and how their businesses and studios were run

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't realise this was a big thing I've had the UK bluray set for a couple of years.

Yeah I have rips from the Japanese HD release from a long rear end time ago. It was completely unacceptable that it went unreleased here for so long, just completely bizarre how this thing just languished out of print

In terms of how it stacks up against other adaptations:

Arc Hammer posted:

Berserk 97 is Cheap but it is not lazy.

Puts it best. The staff/directors were skilled in where they chose to utilize extra motion and detail and it makes the 2016 series even more pathetic by comparison

The movies are mediocre and the changes range from trivial to completely bizarre (e.g. how the Guts-Boscogn dual ends makes absolutely no sense and I'm going to always be annoyed by it lmao)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sci Fi Channel is where I saw Fist of the North Star, at least I think it was, I remember them using excessive amounts of pixelization for all the excessive blood

I remember Lily C.A.T. in the rotation too, I think that's just an Alien ripoff IIRC

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure if they added extra but the FotNS movie was always censored by a weird blurry filter.

Originally it wasn't going to have it (and there's at least one trailer that used the filterless version and the Italian home release was based on a workprint version that didn't have it for some scenes) but the popularity of the toned down tv anime with younger kids forced them to add the filter late into production.

I remember reading that it was due to protests from the Japanese PTA but can't find any evidence of that now.

Yeah I remember reading about the blurry filter but these were mosaic-style pixelization that you might see on a newscast or something.

I distinctly remember the shot of Ken pulling the arrow out of his chest having a long stretch of pixelated censorship that disappeared when it was gone instead

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I found it funny that Kirk Thornton also got to voice Toki again in FotNS: Lost Paradise

Someone in the casting department thinking "Well, he was only Toki for barely an episode in the series, let's give it to him"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shout-out to the real anime fans that got DBZ tapes with subs that contained a ton of profanity and it was totally a legit transition you guys, I'm fluent in japanese too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The VHS fan subber drama you'd see some groups do during eye catches/end credits sure was something. Arctic animation fansubs were particularly not subtle about this

I think it was Super5.com that feuded with a certain "da black Goku" when they were subbing DBGT back in the day