Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Arc Hammer posted:

A lot of dubs back then have a certain wild west energy to them that is mostly lost these days. There's certainly still excellent dubs coming out but I do miss the stuff you'd get from Manga Entertainment or ADV or hell, even Central Park Media. They have their own vibe to them while stuff today is on the whole more in line with the original voice tracks but done in English.

this is absolutely true, it's like when they got the original english Lupin cast back for Part 5 it didn't really hit because the magic of the old Lupin dub (I think ADV?) was all the ad-libbing and riffing off a relatively plain script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Sometimes, unbidden, I remember Sayla's inexplicably nordic accent in the dub of the original gundam movies. Char didn't have anything like it either, totally out of place

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

lmao i wonder if the dub vocal director even blinked when it’s revealed that they are siblings who were raised together. they clearly just looked at the first scene she was in and said “yeah that girl looks scandinavian. let’s spice this up a bit and see if anyone can do an accent.”

I do like the idea of giving the white base crew a few accents, as a choice. It sells a certain star trek vibe. that one was just "whoops"