Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I watched Sailor Moon Stars and the Kyoto Arc of Rurouni Kenshin on VHS fansubs that circulated around my middle school group. I also got the first 25 episodes of Naruto fansubbed sent to me by someone on a different forum I was on because we didn't have a DVD player in my house and my computer didn't have a cd burner at the time. My grandma was incredibly pissed because I gave my real name and address to internet strangers as a 14/15 year old.

Still, there's something about going in to a Hollywood Video or Blockbuster and grabbing random anime VHS tapes. I watched Gundam 0083 that way because my grandma wanted me to get something my brother would like when I was picking up the Sailor Moon R movie VHS. It's how I watched the first Tenchi Muyo OVA series, Slayers, Devil Hunter Yohko, Bubblegum Crisis and AD Police, Tokyo Babylon, the X/1999 movie, and a bunch of other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

If we're talking dubs and outtakes I gotta give a shout out to Wiess Kruez. It was absolutely awful no matter what language you watched it in but the dub outtakes are great.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Sorcerer Hunters was one of those "oh this looks neat" VHS/dvd finds and I have a nostalgic fondness for it. It also had a great OP.

We had the International Channel and one of those fun teen memories I have is watching unsubbed Fushigi Yuugi with some friends and then looking online for synopsis of it later.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I hate Light so much and I hate watched Death Note just to be sure he died. For that reason I'll never rewatch.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

All I see here are a bunch of dudes who never watched live action movies and dramas of their favorite shoujo manga. At least watch the first Nana movie and the Hana Yori Dango adaptions.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Oh and the live action Sailor Moon rules.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

I saw the first live-action episode of Honey and Clover, one of my favorite anime of all time.

I deeply regret having done so.

Not all adaptions are good. Off the top of my head, I hate the live action Paradise Kiss movie and I especially hate that they change the ending. The live action Hot Gimmick movie is terrible but the source material is also terrible, so it just highlights the worst stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Both Vampire Knight and Angel Sanctuary were part of my mainstay trashy shojo manga choices. They both were dumb, edgy and ridiculous in a way that I still think of fondly. Plus Angel Sanctuary was really pretty. You better believe I also read Mayu Shinjou manga but felt a little more guilty about those ones.