Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Welcome to the oldschool anime general thread! Posting about some shows. Like the Mecha General thread, for your oldschool anime needs. Many fine genres, enough anime to keep a warrior busy for a thousand years.

From Slam Dunk to City Hunter, Cowboy Bebop to El Hazard, you can't go wrong with oldschool anime. Hell, the music was good too! Post in here about some stuff you're watching or old favs. Questions or waxing anime philosophical. This is like Hideo Kojima's Outer Heaven from Metal Gear, but instead of a big mercenary party thing, it's a thread to talk about old anime.

anime.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSiRA1xf_NU

Watching oldschool anime... it's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So pretty much, anything about 10 years old is retro enough, but it's all good, pretty loose there. Just a place to post what you're watching or talk about stuff, outside the hustle and bustle of the new stuff.

Some of my rotation the past year or two: Slam Dunk, Ah My Goddess, Urusei Yatsura, Dirty Pair, Slayers, and just tons of titles to try. And they always have the finest OPs and EDs too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That sounds awesome, been meaning to see Kimagure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That one's been on my backlog forever, but I love 0080. Gundam rocks.

Bubblegum Crisis is so good, incredible music and 80s vibes of course. Megazone 23 is up that alley. I'm a big fan of the 90s BGC remake Tokyo 2040, lotta fun with those chill late 90s vibes too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cephas posted:

this is elder abuse

I feel ya there!

I don't even think of Cowboy Bebop as oldschool, in my heart it's timeless. Just kind of a motif for a thread on anime from the semi-recent and a bit less recent past. And for sure a hit from 15 years ago like Gurren Lagann feels current still.

That said, coincidentally I popped on some podcasts from 2010 recently. It is wild how it really is a different era, even though it doesn't feel that way. Time is kooky.

Anime Nostalgia podcast, now that's aptly named. Technically you could be nostalgic for a thing from 2011. I know that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas music from Kaiji does it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdYms5pRwS4

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 27, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig it! Lotta funny DVD promos, that Manga Ent. one with KMFDM is classic. And all the ADV DVDs with that "What is anime?" info clip that would start playing.

And FLCL is unstoppably legendary. I too feel like it captured the sadness and also excitement of being that age, more than any other coming of age tale for me. The Pillows help.

That reminds me, is .hack a good watch without knowledge of the games?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 27, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool, I'll pop that onto the ol' watch list.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TheFluff posted:

the anime "end of history" moment equivalent to the fall of the berlin wall was probably the airing of ghost in the shell sac: 2nd gig, in 2004. there's an enormous generational divide somewhere around 2003-2005 or so, around the time internet distribution and the fansubbing explosion really started to kick off. crunchyroll was founded (as a pirate streaming site) in 2006 and adv was liquidated in 2009, and around that point we also started to get official simulcasts. there's no question that gurren laggan is a classic, but it's an internet era classic.

I dig it! It is fun to see people wax anime philosophical, it's like a Greek forum on here.

For me, online fansubs were a big thing by say 2002, even 2001 I think. Some of the first ongoing shows I saw were X (TV), FLCL, Full Metal Panic etc. And by 2003 everything seemed to be subbed, dozens of shows a season. So many shows, say Air Master, Black Jack Special, GetBackers etc, you name it. I was way more into anime fansubs in '02-'04 than I was in say '07-'09, everybody has their own times they were super into the stuff.

For me, Gurren Lagann and Death Note were almost like a last hurrah of an era or something, my anime viewing fell way lower for years after '07. And stuff from '04-'05 like Gankutsuo doesn't feel like it's from a previous era or anything. But even '04 is pretty different from say '98. The switch to digital animation is bigger to me I think.

But I feel the same way about decades, and movies. Is Blue Velvet from '86 from a very different time than Goodfellas from '90? It all seems pretty gradual and free flowing. Either way, it is good to wax anime philosophical.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Malsangoroth posted:

Alright, I've done it, finally lined up my late 80s / early 90s power hour watchlist. Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo 808, Wicked City, Gunbuster, Iria Zeiram, Dirty Pair, Bubblegum Crisis. Gonna hunker down and watch this good poo poo within the week.

That rocks, Kawajiri is a boss.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I watched Sailor Moon Stars and the Kyoto Arc of Rurouni Kenshin on VHS fansubs that circulated around my middle school group. I also got the first 25 episodes of Naruto fansubbed sent to me by someone on a different forum I was on because we didn't have a DVD player in my house and my computer didn't have a cd burner at the time. My grandma was incredibly pissed because I gave my real name and address to internet strangers as a 14/15 year old.

Still, there's something about going in to a Hollywood Video or Blockbuster and grabbing random anime VHS tapes. I watched Gundam 0083 that way because my grandma wanted me to get something my brother would like when I was picking up the Sailor Moon R movie VHS. It's how I watched the first Tenchi Muyo OVA series, Slayers, Devil Hunter Yohko, Bubblegum Crisis and AD Police, Tokyo Babylon, the X/1999 movie, and a bunch of other stuff.

Good stuff, I've been meaning to see Tenchi lately. Blue Seed is one that was a video store classic for me, and all those cool OVAs. In general any solid anime I missed from the 90s looks extra appealing now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

sb hermit posted:

I remember seeing episodes of Tenshi ni Narumon, Mamotte Shugogetten, Nadesico, Card Captor Sakura, Cowboy Bebop, Saber Marionette, Lost Universe, Video Girl Ai, Love Hina, Hyper Police, You're Under Arrest, and other shows at my university anime club in the late 90s. A lot of which are still not available for streaming, for whatever reason.

I had really wanted to see Ah My Goddess but I think that had already aired before I stepped foot on campus. Seeing it now, it seems ok but not as fun as I had hoped it to be.

Right on, that's some anime right there.

On Ah My Goddess, have you tried both the OVA and the TV show? Two different flavors. AMG is more mushy and vibe oriented I'd say, but it's got some good comedy. Season 2 went on my backlog 100 years ago, been watching it lately.

That's one that is cemented as just mondo classic for me. Though from what I hear the long-running manga may have lost the magic a bit by the end of it's run. Belldandy has gonna be on the Mount Rushmore of anime. She's the Honest Abe of Anime.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That all reminds me of another retro aspect of anime, dubs. At least for me and others I've noticed, just mainly stopped watching dubs. But have a lot of nostalgia and still like those early ones. Gunsmith Cats was a funny dub my friends would quote too. "You may be ex-KGB, but money is your master now!"

And all those outtakes extras, and stuff like the Blue Seed omake, man that stuff is funny. Pretty much Cowboy Bebop is the only show I still watch dubbed, tried both ways but it just adds a little extra something for me. But I might pop on another dub sometime. Also Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust of course.

I love the Lupin classic voice cast too much to watch it another way, but the Manga Ent dub of Castle of Cagliostro with David Hayter was fun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vandar posted:

I appreciate this thread.

We appreciate you, anime crew in the house!

quote:

Bubblegum Crisis is probably my absolute favorite anime ever right after Evangelion. It's so loving good.

Ehh. 2040 is a decent series but it's kind of a bad reimagining and the later parts of it suffer a lot from being made in a post-Evangelion period.

I tells ya, what I find after discussing digging or not digging a thing over the years, we all just have a different experience. Since BGC is your fav, that see-saw is not gonna be as kind on 2040. For me, while BGC was one of my first DVDs (AnimEigo's release came in a huge PC game style box with jewel cases), I found it kind of a 7/10. Though still something I like a lot about, and enjoy. Where as for me, BGC 2040 is majorly underrated, it has a late 90s slacker charm not far removed from Bebop etc. Though it's got much lower budget looking animation and whatnot. So my point there, I actually like BGC 2040 even better. I know that's a less popular take, and it's cool to hear you didn't like it as much, but we're coming from different places there I think.

But I also showed the first ep to a friend of mine just last week, so I'm a bit of a 2040 nut.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 30, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, Nene owns.

On the less community touchstone shows thing, agreed there, and always interesting. I hear about that with TV and music a lot too, just everybody paying attention to different stuff. With the more niche specialized interests etc. On movie podcasts with Tarantino etc they often say that too.

Though I haven't watched an airing show in a long time. I kind of like the vibe of the movie fan crowd, or comic fans, just digging into stuff from a few years ago and spreading the word. If there are some unstoppable hits that command us to watch them though, I wouldn't mind a bit of that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tulalip Tulips posted:

If we're talking dubs and outtakes I gotta give a shout out to Weiss Kruez. It was absolutely awful no matter what language you watched it in but the dub outtakes are great.

Right on. Weiss Kruez is one of those shows I never saw, but the theme song from the trailer ruled so hard. Had to put it on anime mix CDs. Soul Hunter and whatnot, every anime theme ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNn_t6LY66g

I've been meaning to see the Sakura Wars OVAs, rocked that theme song a lot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Viggo is too cool.

Skypie posted:

Part of me misses how wild some stuff was in the late 90s to early 2000s. One of my favorite sorta junk food type shows was Sorcerer Hunters, just this goofy action-comedy in the vein of Slayers or something, about a band of adventurers out beating up evil sorcerers. 24 episodes of light hearted goofing off that takes an insane dark dive for episodes 25/26.

Or Gestalt, which I only barely remember watching with my wife on one of our first dates cuz she was excited to have a boyfriend who liked anime and dug this weird OVA out of her pile of tapes.

Just all this stuff that would never get the green light in a modern era but was fun all the same. No way in hell you get Outlaw Star or G Gundam in the current anime environment, it feels like

I'm with you, waxing anime nostalgic, does seem there was an eclectic mix of unpredictable varieties. Lotta cool things going on.

On Outlaw Star, which rules, one thing about that is it's a thing we don't see as much. Anime very different from the manga, where they kind of adapt a thing into a new story, really doing its own thing. At least that's what I gather, the manga isn't as well known for that show. It did come first though.

While being true to a manga rules 9 times out of 10, sometimes you got something really cool with that older way of doing it. I think if there's a quirky diamond in the rough 3 volume manga, maybe changing it up a bit adapting it could still be a cool thing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 31, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's good times.

Bad Seafood posted:

So apparently there was a pitch for a Ninja Scroll sequel a couple years back. Never got funded, but here's the teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvAsKZAYEak

Who can say if it would've been as good, but all the same I'm a little disappointed we never got to see it. Guess Madhouse was still recovering from Redline back then.

When Kawajiri wants to make Ninja Scroll 2, you say yes!!

I watched Eva Rebuild 1.11 by the way, really cool movie! First time seeing it, and haven't seen the series since last century. Talk about nostalgic. I gather it doesn't stay that way naturally, will definitely see the rest. Pen-Pen is always legit.

(edit: watched the rest of Rebuild, really enjoyed 'em, great movies. Hats off!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 5, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is quite classy, they know what they're doing. Over here we may have a Toxic Avenger musical and a Beetlejuice musical, but tough to top Kenshiro and co. for sure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sunrise was having a pretty legendary run there, outstanding stuff for sure. Escaflowne, Bebop, 08th MS Team, great titles for getting into anime at the time too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TenementFunster posted:

this image has trolled me into finally watching death note

Happy to hear! It's so cool, instant classic.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I watched it at the time without partaking in that kinda thing, but I do root for Light myself. It's fun to have a charming villain protagonist once in a while.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can see that, iconic stuff right there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My fav live-action anime/manga movies: Cutie Honey, Ping Pong, Kenshins with that Kamen Rider guy, I think that Initial D one was okay, and honorable mention to Super Mario Bros with Hoskins and Leguizamo (:stat:). A few that looked ok I've been meaning to try: Detroit Metal City, Beck, Mole Song: Agent Reiji, stuff like that.

Zeiram movies are cool, that's like the opposite since the anime came second. Those low budget Oshii movies he made with those scary troopers later used in Jin-Roh and whatnot were interesting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That movie is pretty darn entertaining. I was thinking if there had been a good western made anime movie, that's the best we've got!

Edit: Speed Racer of course

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's the list of anime series I'm in the middle of:

Slam Dunk
Lupin the Third pt 2
Lupin the Third pt 3
Lupin the Third pt 4
Gundam 08th MS Team (big Gundam list)
Patlabor (TV)
Dirty Pair
City Hunter 2
Slayers
Ah! My Goddess s2
Urusei Yatsura
Golgo 13
Black Lagoon
Dragon Ball

Also rewatching FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. And for general toons I'm near the end of Batman TAS/New Adventures, doing Batman Beyond, and early The Simpsons, for the record.

If I don't finish at least a few of those anime series by the end of the year, I'll be the laughingstock of the anime lunch room. Anybody else in the middle of a buncha stuff?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks! "Go Go" "Get Wild" with your "Footsteps"!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

David Hayter rules. And let's just call this the oldschool Anime General from now on, we're definitely not old. Well maybe we're not in school either. But we're anime for sure!

I dig David Hayter in Manga's Castle of Cagliostro dub, he did a quality Lupin.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Amen, it's always amazing how these heroic seiyuu stay with the role and define it. He's so cool for sure. Here's hoping Kurita is into doing 20+ years of more Lupin!

Luffy and Goku's seiyuus are really impressive too, Mayumi Tanaka doing Krillin too! I'm watching the original Dragon Ball for the first time lately, and it's fun hearing her there.

On that Hideaki Anno doc on amazon, was touching seeing those classic seiyuu there too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kingtheninja posted:

Is that the original dub where they keep calling him the wolf?

That one's the Streamline produced dub I gather, they say Lupin in this Manga one with Hayter (from a DVD around 2000).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I watched it with my bro like 12 years ago! Hell of a film. Scooby-Doo! and the Witch’s Ghost was cool too, and I love Mystery Inc.

For spooky time, my fav is the ever blood pumpin' VHD Bloodlust. I got a dramatized audio version of Book 2 for that series recently too. Plus the novels, the manga adaptation, lotta VHD to check out.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://twitter.com/AnimeV_H_S/status/1589912681515188226?s=20&t=-7qG3t3j_26Mdmk-_mazyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkKke9qtfuA

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 10, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! Dirty Pair rules. I've got the ol' RightStuf and ADV DVDs of those. Flash for me was one of those middle of the road shows, still has charm, I fell asleep a few times watching. It's impossible to sleep during the original though, it's too magnificent! It'd be like sleeping during The Godfather or Dr. Strangelove. I've still gotta watch the OVAs. Love the movie.

I hear a new City Hunter movie is in the works too, always nice to see. That's another one I bought all the DVDs of and still have a lot to go. Plus there's the manga too, fan translated at least. Cat's Eye too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My gut take would be that's not a show where compilation movies would be so hot. But I heartily recommend season 1 of Stand Alone Complex, the ol' laughing man etc, it's good times. Season 2 is ok.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I believe they were fairly beloved, or at least respected. Speaking of think tanks, we're a think tank on here. Anime think tank .gov

That would also make a good ad for one of those 3DO tank games. "Think tank"

Speaking of old school, I'm back on my Slam Dunk watching kick, man that show rules. I also have vol 21-31 of the manga on my shelf, ready to go when I finish it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 7, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I did like surfer Goku in those earlier DBZ dubs on Toonami. Had some charm.

I've been enjoying seeing the original Dragon Ball for the first time this past year or so, really cool. Just a nostalgic fun imaginative adventure. Nostalgic even though I hadn't seen it too, just the vibe. Now I know how cool Tao Pai Pai is, and even more so I know Krillin is the ultimate homie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Now that's cool! XYZ

I'm still watching Slam Dunk, which rules. And on Dragon Ball about to get into the second tournament arc, after the Baba bit. On City Hunter, I'm on City Hunter 2! And by on it I mean I watched two eps of it last year, but I'll get back on it, yessir.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Peteyfoot posted:

Is there a way for me to purchase Sailor Moon Season 1 subtitled on VHS?

Apparently only Sailor Moon S had subtitled tapes, and movies.

As for me, was big on anime DVDs, only had a few VHS tapes. Even just digging into some anime that doesn't have blu-ray upgrades, like Trigun, I feel the various analog-esque video aspects of DVD are suitably oldschool. Rainbowing, dotcrawl, aliasing, an anime DVD is like playing a video game from 1999. But good luck on your quest.

It is wild how so many anime won't get a nice remaster, and a lot will always have some degree of ghosting and interlaced aspects. Read a big AnimeNewsNetwork article on interlacing the other day. Though deinterlace settings and fan encodes are cool too. But these are nitpicks, oldschool anime is worthwhile in any quality.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 12, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Peteyfoot posted:

Thanks for the heads up regarding the subtitled tapes! That does help. Also I wasn't able to find the article you mentioned, would you mind linking it? It sounds fascinating!

Sure, there's also a reply thread to it that's kinda interesting.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-08-31/.105865

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kind of like the "Parn! Deed!" from Lodoss War. I should tackle InuYasha sometime, I liked the first 10 eps or so I saw way back in the day. And had one vol of the manga.

And yep, I looked at one of the anime/manga charts ™, it is interesting how they adapted it. Overall a lot more chapters per episode than I'd have guessed, often like four or five chapters an ep early on. And generally two chapters an ep at the least, which is respectable.

That said, I've been meaning to get back to and finish the Ranma manga etc, lots of Takahashi to take in.

And so many obscure anime I'd love to either watch or just see a few eps of for a taste. Steam Detectives and Ruin Explorers are a couple random one I added lately. And always been curious about Silent Mobius, stuff like that.

Been indulging in some rewatching too, which I don't do much for series. It's crazy nostalgia rewatching Cowboy Bebop, since it'd been about 20 years since I've seen it all. Outlaw Star, Trigun, Nadesico, gonna throw some of the ol' hits in the mix. Been meaning to rewatch Hajime no Ippo and hop onto the manga too, ditto for GTO and some others. Only ever saw the first season of Yu Yu Hakusho... lotta anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dawgstar posted:

Ruin Explorers is an underrated gem. It even has a great dub for the time, and from ADV who would sometimes only direct their actors with "okay, now louder."

Nice, I'll pop that up the list.

And for sure Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, talk about cool. 1998 is unstoppable.