Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leraika posted:

Thinking about maybe watching Utena again, or maybe just the episodes I like best (every Nanami episode)

"Anthy Himemiiiiya's A GREAT big weirdo!!!"

*gasp*
"Miss HIMEMIYA, I've MISJUDGED you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That explosion also speeded the translation industry and created Partnerships that allows poo poo like MHA to simulcast.

The dearth of material beforehand really made it so that fans were at the whims of import publishers for works. It's why most people remember stuff like Voltage Fighter Gowcaiser before they had seen Evangelion. Lol.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There needs to be Japanaimation Dark night with Genocyber, MD Geist, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arc Hammer posted:

I could go with MD Geist because it's a so bad it's good kind of super edge but Genocyber is just depressing and the child murder and molestation stuff is gross.
This is the moment I go "oh, I should maybe speed through Genocyber so I don't make those mistakes instead of just taking it as a memey 80s scifi action gorefest :doh:

Arc Hammer posted:

I wouldn't mind a redubbed version of Robot Carnival that overhauled the script for the story about the two mechas fighting because they couldn't understand each other's language. The old dub is kinda yikes with the Asian voices.
Maybe the end with the Rising Sun is in bad taste, too.

There's a host of formative anime that maybe will get a BluRay treatment someday but won't get a 4k rework that really bums me out.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 28, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I liked Tenchi Muyo In Love quite a bit when it played on SciFi.

Never saw the second.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Part of what makes Tenchi TV unique is that is basically reboots itself over the course of the seasons. So maybe the first run is Ryoko being an ancient Demon that was sealed away and then released by Tenchi, while the next one she may be an intergalactic pirate that gets stuck on earth and wants to steal Tenchi away from his prearranged marriage from Ayeka.

In a world before the internet was massive and you were able to glean all the information you wanted at a glance, the disequilibrium was very fun!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yu Yu Hakusho had a decent dub as well.

I showed someone the Fist of the North Star dub and their face was just shocked Pikachu over the wuality of the VA work.

And I was like "yo, this is pretty good co sodering the state of things back then".

It's really hard to believe that the VA industry wasn't there for anime dubs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hey y'all there's a giant robot 'bout step on my house I don't like that none
I was just thinking that a Retro VA for Tanjiro from Demon Slayer would totally have a Jersey or Country Hick accent.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They worked on poo poo like YuGiOh. Of course their work has a sort of nostalgic cache.

Streamline gave me Leonardo Turtle Kanaeda, after all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vandar posted:

Fox completely butchered the series in trying to make it a kid's show for small children.
And they did everything they could to minimize Hitomi

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ardeem posted:

Escaflowne got off relatively light compared to what happened Card Captor Sakura.
Wait, don't you mean CardCaptors, with the irrqscable Lee Shawron as the main character and Sakura the bumbling holdover MC?

a thrilling adventure... A quest for all time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Or the impossibility of ever getting a 4K Atmos BluRay :negative:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's an incomprehensible screed against the treatment of the Ainu, right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TenementFunster posted:

i mean, WOLF?! whose idea was that?
Lupin, Lupon, Lupine

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tachikomas we're good and added some fun into the series and also got good characterization when for example one sacrificed itself.

I think maybe the cel shading was the only negative, aside from the cutesy voices?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Heavy Metal posted:

. Maybe it's one of those Gunbuster time things.
Speaking of, my Gunbuster OVA blu came today, a full 2 days ahead of schedule.

Thanks to whomever it was in genchat that mentiomed it was being released!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's just insane that Latin America got much better material to work with.

They really were like "The US? No one does dubs there who cares"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sakurazuka posted:

Streamline was very much in to trying to westernise anime as much as possible, it was founded by Carl Macek lol
One wonders what would have happened to anime in the U.S. if Robotech: The Sentinels had been a full show. Streamline brought some bangers over, and pursuing the teen/young adult market definitely made anime hip.

We are very much spoiled by the speed at which we get subs but also an increase in overall knowledge and professionalism in the translation industry, and the concept of respecting the original work by giving it a faithful adaptation. But I think that's kind of built on the back of shoddy/loose dubs creating a sense that the originals were some kind of hidden truth, or just plain different enough to be their own thing.

Even something as relatively benign as "don't re-record the OP with power metal" was kind of a major cultural shift with anime brought over to the states.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nipponophile posted:

Dub voice actors and translators are notoriously underpaid, so if they can just cover their licensing fees, it's almost pure profit.
Add to that the fact that VAs invested in home studios during COVID so I'd imagine a lot of the "come in to the studio for 3 days" stuff has been replaced by "Zoom with the VA Director, get some notes, and drop your MP3s into the shared folder in 2 weeks".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They also had Casshern: Robot Hunter, one of the Tank Police OVAs, IRIA 1 & 2, maybe one of the Lodoss Wars, something Mars, GalForce:Eternal. I think I'm missing one or two.

It Gets kind of muddy since they had two or three Summer Anime blocks (one with Apollo Smile, your Live Action Anime Girl!). So I forget if those offerings filtered down into their Saturday block.

That would have been stuff like Tenchi Muyo: The Movie, FATAL FURY 1&2, the Galaxy Expresses, Beautiful Dreamer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Love Hina's place in English anime world is weird as at the time it was such an important series in the first big manga explosion and now it's...just forgotten.
It was a novelty because, basically, Ranma didnt really break through to the mainstream and Tenchi shifted premise so readily that the whole Harem thing kind of took a backseat to figuring out wtf was going on with this particular incarnation.

There's such a flood of contemporaries now that it's kind of just there.

I also feel like there's a bit of embarrassment looking back at it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TenementFunster posted:

when i first watched plus, i thought it was unbelievable that so many people would be fans of an AI singer. hatsune miku really proved my rear end WRONG
I think the idea that people would be fans of an AI Artist may have been out there (because, like, the question of creative genesis and all). But Max Headroom was a series 7 years dead at that point and that dumb little thing created a HUGE 80s icon. And Hello Kitty continues to do gangbusters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Heavy Metal posted:

Max Headroom is an actor wearing make-up stuff, he's technically not AI either! We're cleaning up with our caveats and such. He is cool I watched his Letterman appearance recently. I see what you're saying though, that was a good time for cyberpunk stories.

TenementFunster posted:

max headroom was just a guy in a mask and hello kitty is megumi hayashibara :confused:
Yeah, but narratively it was an AI and culturally it was popular enough to get a knock-off/homage in BttF2. So I don't think the idea that people would be fans of digital performers was that alien. I think the big question wasn't that it was something new and strange, but rather if the product was any good.

Yeah I guess the HK thing is a reach. She's a popular fictional character that's pretty ubiquitous. I was just jumping to thoughts about fandoms for fictional entities.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

You're not kidding. They should have just stuck with the Robotech theme.
Sometimes you get a demo that just hits the mark so well that you'd be crazy not to go with it-- MMPR, Samurai Pizza Cats.

And then most other times you get stuff like... this. Big time "Lyrics to the Star Trek TOS theme" vibe here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/AnimEigo/status/1782581210801439080

As somebody eloquently put it, 'animators who drew cars by hand are gods among men.'
The Road Avenger anime I always wanted :aaaaa: