Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Talking about Cat's Eye, is Tsukasa Hojo retired? It's been a long time since Angel Heart, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Anime clubs and tape trading is how a lot of folks got into anime back in the day. I used to hang out on a DBZ forum with a lot of old, hardcore fans, talking about trading VHSes back in the 90s. And there was this shounen romance from the 80s called Kimagure Orange Road which, so far as I can discover, only really had any traction ouside of Japan because of the aforementioned small anime clubs and swapping video tapes.

Orange Road was really influential - the manga more so than the anime really. The main woman character , Madoka, is pinned to be the first tsundure character. And apparently the manga sold over 20 million tankoban in it's original run (I had all 18 volumes). Matsumoto Izumi was kind of ahead of his time, apparently he thought of the idea of putting manga on CD-ROMs as well. He unfortunately died in 2020.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vandar posted:

Orange Road is one of those series that I've always heard is supposed to be incredible, I've just never gotten around to it because there's just so much else out there.

Maybe I should make some time to finally check it out.

Yeah I barely saw any of the anime, but was a big fan of the manga (this is around 40 years ago mind you). It was a love triangle manga with a surprise twist the shounen protagonist and his family are ESPers. The art was charming as well and you really can see where tsundures came from once you see Madoka in action.

A lot of Matsumoto's paintings from it were super 80s and cool.

Edit: I don't know if I'd particularly call the series 'incredible' but it WAS very groundbreaking. I really liked it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just put the first episode on via Retrocrush and holy poo poo this opening theme is sending me flashbacks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Interestingly I first saw the Orange Road anime (and well a ton of anime & toku shows in the 80s) on VHS- there was a rental shop in San Francisco's Japantown that pretty much ONLY rented VHS tapes that their partners in Japan would just record TV and then send them to SF. There were also other shows of course but the anime and toku shows were rented out a lot (iirc they would have around 3 duplicates of every popular tape). It was great since ads were included and the quality of the recordings were really good (the dupes were only one generation off of the tapes sent to them). The only real downside was occasionally there would be a missing episode or two.

L-Gaim, VOTOMS, Zeta Gundam, Changeman, Flashman, Tobikage, Dancougar, Dirty Pair, and many others were watched by my friends and I through that place. Also you had to be able to read the titles in Japanese as nothing was labeled in english.

edit: :corsair:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 28, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vandar posted:

Remember how there was a period where it felt like EVERYONE was an Azumanga fan and every single forum regardless of its focus would have at least one person with an Azumanga avatar or signature image? I kind of miss that.

sorry for necroquoting but :chiyo:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

2003…

also speaking of necroquoting, you never posting your battlestation in the desktop thread, coward!

I got a macbook and an ipad, only kind of desktop thing I have is an M1 mac mini that I use for mkvs on my teevee

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ranma did crack a lot of eggs though to it's credit.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

However, I have seen Do You Remember Love? in Japanese so there's that lol.

I got to see that in the theater on my first trip to Japan in 1984 and it was loving amazing*. I still have a huge soft spot for it.

* I had almost no idea what anybody was saying in it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

you don’t need to understand japanese to appreciate sneaking off on a tour of Space San Francisco with an undercover Miss Macross

The fact that they put a neon sign of KMEL a well known SF Bay Area radio station in a scene was pretty amusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the whole “child sex worker character” has always been yeesh