Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember getting so hyped for the live action casshern and wanting to like it so much. I couldn't fool myself though, it was real bad. At least it has one or two nice action sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

David Hayter rules. And let's just call this the oldschool Anime General from now on, we're definitely not old. Well maybe we're not in school either. But we're anime for sure!

I dig David Hayter in Manga's Castle of Cagliostro dub, he did a quality Lupin.

Is that the original dub where they keep calling him the wolf?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So my first anime series was Ranma (in the states) and I grabbed every VHS I could find. So I ended up seeing a lot of trailers for ikkoku but my local video store didn't have it to rent. They did have I think the first vol of KOR though as I remember renting it but not really anything about it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I remember way way back (maybe before dbz was on TV here?) having one or two VHS tapes for dB. I remember it ending right after pilafs castle.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The previous mention of lodoss war got me posting the op from the heroic knight series because Holy poo poo I forgot how amazing it is. Really wish there was a hq version of the show to go with the ova blu ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgz76YKHHY

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah discotek is awesome. I've got their ronin warriors release and the Sherlock hound set too. Really happy with both.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Der-Wreck posted:

Thank you all for the recommendations! Started with Gun Smith Cats and drat it is exactly what I was looking for! :perfect:

Can’t wait to see some more of the recommendations!

I used to have the first volume gunsmith on VHS, and I still say a dub line from it ("tempting, but I think I'll just call you when your guns ready"). Also I found my VHS copy of riding bean recently, complete with little paper insert! Great memories.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't realise this was a big thing I've had the UK bluray set for a couple of years.

Is this a version of the show worth checking out if I've never seen berserk? I know about it but never sat down to watch anything.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Do you recall which one was in heavy rotation on early Sci-Fi Channel?

If I recall, Sci fi had the weird alternate world movie (VS blue or something?) and I think the first one? I just remember the classic anime sailor uniform. Man, I loved the Saturday morning anime.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The Saturday morning anime options I remember are: Akira, two project a-ko movies, vampire hunter d, lily cat, demon city shinjuku... Wicked city maybe? That's about it. Green legend ran? I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

They also had Casshern: Robot Hunter, one of the Tank Police OVAs, IRIA 1 & 2, maybe one of the Lodoss Wars, something Mars, GalForce:Eternal. I think I'm missing one or two.

It Gets kind of muddy since they had two or three Summer Anime blocks (one with Apollo Smile, your Live Action Anime Girl!). So I forget if those offerings filtered down into their Saturday block.

That would have been stuff like Tenchi Muyo: The Movie, FATAL FURY 1&2, the Galaxy Expresses, Beautiful Dreamer.

Oh man I remember most of these now. Gal force really threw me as a 12 year old, I kept wondering why all the characters kept dying off.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh man, my friends and I were talking about random shows we used to watch constantly ages ago. I remember having the street fighter 2 V tapes and watching them over and over (the first time I learned about the name changes) and my friend had a few dvds of the bubblegum crisis show (the one from 2000 or whenever) we'd watch all the time.

Really hoping discotek gets some blu ray releases going someday.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

sb hermit posted:

I've yet to finish watching Overman King Gainer but supposedly it's a very good non-Gundam Tomino mecha anime.

I think it's supposed to have an English dub!

I don't think it's running on any of the major streaming services right now though :smith:

I should probably pick up the dvd complete collection on ebay... I think they're going for like $40 or so.

Discotek just put out a Blu ray set back in December. Probably close to the same price.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Orange Road was really influential - the manga more so than the anime really. The main woman character , Madoka, is pinned to be the first tsundure character. And apparently the manga sold over 20 million tankoban in it's original run (I had all 18 volumes). Matsumoto Izumi was kind of ahead of his time, apparently he thought of the idea of putting manga on CD-ROMs as well. He unfortunately died in 2020.

My local video store in the early 90s had one tape of orange road, I remember renting it. But I was way too young to care about anime that wasn't about fighting.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Vandar posted:

I am shocked, SHOCKED! that I never had any of my volumes of Love Hina confiscated in high school.

Haha same, I used to read volumes of ranma in my schools library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

TuxedoOrca posted:

Oh hell yes!

I recently dug out my riding bean VHS tape from idk, 25 years ago? It even had the little paper insert that came with it!