Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

Buttchocks posted:

I think Asimov wrote a short story about such a world in some sci-fi magazine, and at the end he writes a footnote that the story was initially rejected because it turns out onions really don't exist, and it's like this meta twilight-zone kinda thing.

I think I actually know the story being referred to here. I know I know trap sprung etc.

alexandriao posted:

Onions are good except for the one shallot I know who talks a lot about second amendment rights, hes such a buzzkill

I think I know this shallot, oddly enough remarkably uninformed on other aspects of the constitution although he clearly admires it greatly

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

google THIS posted:

Technically every time you eat onions you bring us one step closer to a world without onions becoming a reality

imagine if you ate the last onion :burger:

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

for reference the world average is about 10kg/year, and the us consumption about 7kg/year

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i don't know a lot about tajikistan, but i know they would be real hosed in a messed up onion-free world

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
as the onion apocalypse looms, the usa will invade tajikistan and take their onions

Nosfereefer

otoh, these statistics claim that the french eat on average only about 3 kilos of onions a year, which i find sus
e: https://www.helgilibrary.com/indicators/onion-consumption-per-capita/

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i've thought alot about it, and ive decided i jsut cant really imagine a world without onions after all

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Nosfereefer posted:

otoh, these statistics claim that the french eat on average only about 3 kilos of onions a year, which i find sus
e: https://www.helgilibrary.com/indicators/onion-consumption-per-capita/

samoa isn't even on the list. v sus indeed 🤨

Nosfereefer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i've thought alot about it, and ive decided i jsut cant really imagine a world without onions after all

i can. im imagining it right now, while simultaneously imagining a spinning cube

the spinning cube is responsible for this wretched onion deprived world

Nosfereefer

nicholas cage is also there. he's shaking random people and screaming about onions

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

the more i try to imagine a world without onions, the more convinced I am that it's an unhealthy and deranged act to even try to imagine that world

Nosfereefer

"OH, NO, NOT THE ONIONS! NOT THE ONIONS! AAAAAHHHHH!!!"

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

sorry for any mental anguish this thread may have caused. please address any requests for compensation to my attorney M. Fisto, Esq.

Sherbert Hoover
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

Nosfereefer posted:

"OH, NO, NOT THE ONIONS! NOT THE ONIONS! AAAAAHHHHH!!!"

lol

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Sherbert Hoover
Probation

google THIS posted:

Technically every time you eat onions you bring us one step closer to a world without onions becoming a reality

they just take it as a sign to grow more onions. eat an onion and onion futures are up up up! it's a vicious cycle...

Nosfereefer

ive been looking at onion consumption statics for too long, and i'm intrigued by how little consistency there is to it. neighboring countries w/ somewhat similar food cultures have wildly different levels of onion consumption. geography or climate doesn't seem to matter much either.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
if you want a vision of the future, imagine an onion - forever

Nosfereefer

Dr. Honked posted:

if you want a vision of the future, imagine an onion - forever

just one?

Sherbert Hoover
Probation

it has layers

Nosfereefer

no matter how you slice it (the onion), it wouldn't be enough to go around for all. esp the tajiks

xcheopis

Nosfereefer posted:

no matter how you slice it (the onion), it wouldn't be enough to go around for all. esp the tajiks

It's a zen thing.

Finger Prince

Nosfereefer posted:

ive been looking at onion consumption statics for too long, and i'm intrigued by how little consistency there is to it. neighboring countries w/ somewhat similar food cultures have wildly different levels of onion consumption. geography or climate doesn't seem to matter much either.

I looked up popular tajik dishes and didn't see anything that looked particularly full of onions. Maybe they just eat them raw like apples?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 29, 2022

Nosfereefer

Finger Prince posted:

I looked up popular tajik dishes and didn't see anything that looked particularly full of onions. Maybe they just eat them raw like apples?

i guess unless the site that wants you to pay 10 USD to access yearly onion consumption rates per capita somehow is wrong, that is likely. or, consider the fact that consumption isn't necessarily through eating it. maybe they only use them for decoration?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

just to remind everyone, this thread is for the potentially dangerous activity of trying to imagine a world without onions, not for discussing current onion consumption in this world, where onions exist

Nosfereefer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

just to remind everyone, this thread is for the potentially dangerous activity of trying to imagine a world without onions, not for discussing current onion consumption in this world, where onions exist

with all respect, figuring out the finer points of the onion's impact on the world is crucial to scientifically imagine a world w/o onions

Nosfereefer

"if you want to imagine a world without onions, you first have to imagine a world with onions"
-lincoln

Nosfereefer

like, would lincoln even be born in a world w/o onions? woud the united states ever form? the british empire? the mongol conquest? would we even have discovered metal working? fire?!

Nosfereefer

maybe humanity would never even evolve. in our stead, giant psychic ants march across the planet, enslaving beast and plant alike. in a universe without onions, perhaps they will rule supreme

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Nosfereefer posted:

"if you want to imagine a world without onions, you first have to imagine a world with onions"
-lincoln

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i really just cant imagine

xcheopis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i really just cant imagine

It's... It's dark
and cold
and oddly clammy
I don't like it's scary I'm gonna stop now

Nosfereefer

Scuba Trooper

still can't do it, op.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Imagine a world without the National Onion Association's Press Kit
https://www.onions-usa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/NOA_Press_Kit_2017_FINAL_1.pdf

Become a member today! Membership, Bro!
https://www.onions-usa.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Updated-NOA_Membership_Bro_2018_Print_REV_FINAL-1.pdf

Nosfereefer

in a world without onions, all that effort would have been wasted. the NOA would be a complete nobody filled with nerds

Manifisto

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

sorry for any mental anguish this thread may have caused. please address any requests for compensation to my attorney M. Fisto, Esq.

hmm someone has not read the alliums clause in the retainer agreement, I see

ty nesamdoom!

Sherbert Hoover
Probation
me not having ever heard of alliums: allium? I hardly know em!

Heather Papps

hello friend

in a world without onions jessica would have never left me, for i never would have eaten that salad with all the raw onions, and never would have farted up our hotel room. our vacation would have been a delight and we'd have 3 kids by now. i wouldn't be sinking into the bottle and afraid to even get near a harsh veggie. my garden is bare. forgive me.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Finger Prince

Nosfereefer posted:

i guess unless the site that wants you to pay 10 USD to access yearly onion consumption rates per capita somehow is wrong, that is likely. or, consider the fact that consumption isn't necessarily through eating it. maybe they only use them for decoration?

Maybe it's based on amount of onions grown vs population, and Tajikistan and Niger are huge onion growers and exporters, or there's huge onion subsidies for onion farmers. Like if you looked at corn consumption using those statistics, you'd think goddamn, Nebraskans eat a poo poo ton of corn! And while they probably eat more corn than a New Englander, it's probably not that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

Sherbert Hoover posted:

ogres are like lasagna