Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My third-favourite bit of nature documentary is the one where a honey badger fights a venomous snake. The badger kills the snake but also gets bitten at least once. Of course then the badger dies.

Some time later it comes back from the dead and eats the snake.

Isn't that the origin of the honey badger don't give a gently caress meme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Isn't that the origin of the honey badger don't give a gently caress meme?

IDK, could be any clip of a honey badger that I've seen. We need a memelord - any around that haven't been permabanned?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

This was the original source of the honey Badger meme I think.

https://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg?si=e9O3K9B_Mq3poaXs

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

the venom actually had no effect, the swelling and the passing out were because it went into a food coma

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've never seen two honey badgers at the same time so that must be it.

How does it produce honey, anyway? Is it like a gland or something? (Haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36UNSoJenI

That's because when you get two, they work together to escape.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Stoffel is better at problem-solving than most people I work with.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s0zt3fgnqo1s1ddrj.mp4

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Now THAT'S breaking an oven.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

redgubbinz posted:

the ol' high-velocity bag slap

magnificent

Just my average Friday night. Ho-hum.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

Just my average Friday night. Ho-hum.

I said I was sorry

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Lone Badger posted:

5-10x their volume anyway. Badgers are surprisingly heavy.

Well honey is about 40% more dense than water so it stands to reason that honey badgers would be about 40% more dense than other land mammals.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

"This is the worst part"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/a4lmsabmwnpb1/DASH_480.mp4
https://www.thedrive.com/news/cruise-robotaxis-cause-austin-street-gridlock-due-to-heavy-pedestrian-traffic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did Austin sign up for robotaxi hell that or is it yet another punishment foisted on them by the Texas legislature and governor?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've never seen two honey badgers at the same time so that must be it.

How does it produce honey, anyway? Is it like a gland or something? (Haha)

Naw they just Leeroy Jenkins their way into beehives. Like even Bears seem to hang it up when they get stung in the face too badly but Honey Badgers are just going full blown Attack on Titan on their bee city.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

I figure you only need about six stout guys to flip these onto their sides and off the street.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
According to the article Texas can't legislate self driven cars for some reason, so basically the company hosed up a good portion of Austin with no legal repercussions. So far anyway.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
It took us a while to crack down on bike and scooter rentals, for a few years they were just littered around everywhere, though mostly on sidewalks not blocking roads. If they tried that poo poo in Dallas those cars would be stripped for parts on the first night.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I figure you only need about six stout guys to flip these onto their sides and off the street.

:actually: back in my day we could do it with 4 :smuggo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWemPyCHB8

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 22, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

When I worked at a movie theater a few of us kids (I was like 16 and 5' 11" 160lbs) picked up a really annoying literal 7' tall worker's Geo Metro hatchback (it was funny watching him get in and out of it) out of the parking spot, onto the sidewalk area, and between two poles.

It was hilarious. The 7 foot tall dude (we called him kermit behind his back because he sounded like kermit) was angry, but he was always angry 100% of the time which is exactly why we did it.

Heh.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
pennywise you suck I just gotta get it outta my system

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
also gently caress you it took forever to get out of that spot

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I worked at a movie theater a few of us kids (I was like 16 and 5' 11" 160lbs) picked up a really annoying literal 7' tall worker's Geo Metro hatchback (it was funny watching him get in and out of it) out of the parking spot, onto the sidewalk area, and between two poles.

It was hilarious. The 7 foot tall dude (we called him kermit behind his back because he sounded like kermit) was angry, but he was always angry 100% of the time which is exactly why we did it.

Heh.
When I was in high school I took a class called Vocational Law Enforcement. The actual "class" consisted of listening to the school cop tell stories and occasionally we'd get donuts. One day another cop showed up to the school for some reason or other and drove his cruiser up on the sidewalk and parked right in front of the doors. Once he went inside, our school cop was like "that guy's an rear end in a top hat" and had us all go out and pick up the patrol car, turning it 90 degrees so it was pretty much blocked in. When the guy came out he just looked at his car for a minute, then queue the Austin Powers 489 3-point turns.

ACAB, but our school officer was not the worst one out there.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

According to the article Texas can't legislate self driven cars for some reason, so basically the company hosed up a good portion of Austin with no legal repercussions. So far anyway.

It still seems solvable, since I can't imagine they took away Austin's right to continuously impound and fine self driving car operators (manufacturers?) every time they gently caress up the roads.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkBqVVbnZ1c

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The best response is coning. It completely bamboozles the car and doesn't even take much upper-body strength

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fobby posted:

It still seems solvable, since I can't imagine they took away Austin's right to continuously impound and fine self driving car operators (manufacturers?) every time they gently caress up the roads.

I can absolutely imagine Texas doing that.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

This other clip from this dude is pretty drat funny

https://twitter.com/uwutoowo1/status/1660872296112726016?s=20

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ICeGrkW.mp4

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

"This is the worst part"

anytime I take something out of the oven I think of that, usually coupled with the first lines of Don’t Let’s Start

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^
It took us a while to crack down on bike and scooter rentals, for a few years they were just littered around everywhere, though mostly on sidewalks not blocking roads.

here in portland we just threw them all in the rivers

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

anytime I take something out of the oven I think of that, usually coupled with the first lines of Don’t Let’s Start

I looked up the TMBG words to try and come up with something clever so I could post the song but it turns out I'm real bad at writing fake song lyrics :negative:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

here in portland we just threw them all in the rivers

:hfive:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Rentable e-scooters and e-bikes are good alternatives to car culture that provide palatable use cases for cycling infrastructure. They're fantastic examples of why local governments should be investing more into Green cities by providing safe and sensible places to both ride and store them. The market has proven that people are amenable to non-car based travel, and these companies are thriving by providing access to people who can't afford to drop several grand on the technology themselves.

But instead of getting people to push their local representatives to greenify our cities, e-scooters inexplicably turn even the most avid cyclists into huge NIMBY cunts that support polluting waterways with heavy metals.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I like the idea of rentable escooters but they need to have docks to just stop people dumping then in the middle of the pavement which is a real hindrance to wheel chair users.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beartaco posted:

heavy metals

lol

Mega Comrade posted:

I like the idea of rentable escooters but they need to have docks to just stop people dumping then in the middle of the pavement which is a real hindrance to wheel chair users.

They should take a deposit and not give it back unless the rental vehicle is left in a legal automobile parking spot.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Beartaco posted:

But instead of getting people to push their local representatives to greenify our cities, e-scooters inexplicably turn even the most avid cyclists into huge NIMBY cunts that support polluting waterways with heavy metals.

But you see, it's funny.
Somehow. Allegedly.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Beartaco posted:

inexplicably

Oh yeah, as you can see from these photos taken in front of my building

it is indeed a total mystery

Why are people so irrationally annoyed by them, indeed?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But you see, it's funny.
Somehow. Allegedly.

Tossing them into a lake isn't funny, but nature finds a way:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We don't have scooters in our city yet, but we do have ebikes. You're charged per hour, and if it's not put back into a charging rack (We have dozens all over the city), it keeps charging your card and the prices go up every 2-3 hours the longer it's not returned. Not sure why they can't do that for the scooters. Someone dumps it on the sidewalk because it ran our of battery? You're going to get charged until it's put back in one.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The scooters (at least in our city) don't have charging racks, they're recharged by the company overnight then presumably deposited in good pick-up locations.

They also started operating before getting a license under the 'Better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission' philosophy, which kinda goes to show their attitude. I'd be more amendable to their faux green-ness if I didn't have to climb over the drat things every time I walk past a busstop.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Serephina posted:

The scooters (at least in our city) don't have charging racks, they're recharged by the company overnight then presumably deposited in good pick-up locations.

They also started operating before getting a license under the 'Better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission' philosophy, which kinda goes to show their attitude. I'd be more amendable to their faux green-ness if I didn't have to climb over the drat things every time I walk past a busstop.

They actually are charged by people, who are not actually employees, in their homes because private electricity is cheaper than what the electric company would charge the e-bike company. Also, this was in an area with a low-income home discount from the electric company. So the people that were picking up the e-bikes to recharge were making ok extra cash, but the e-bike companies were absolutely taking advantage of the lovely gig economy and poor people, who were able to get a decent discount on a necessity because they were loving poor, so that they did not have to pay a reasonable amount directly to the electric company to recharge their e-bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Philthy posted:

We don't have scooters in our city yet, but we do have ebikes. You're charged per hour, and if it's not put back into a charging rack (We have dozens all over the city), it keeps charging your card and the prices go up every 2-3 hours the longer it's not returned. Not sure why they can't do that for the scooters. Someone dumps it on the sidewalk because it ran our of battery? You're going to get charged until it's put back in one.

If I had to guess that would cost more money and require permission from the council to build them. So the companies just don't bother.

Cutting that corner has bitten them in the arse though with how unpopular it's made them.