Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

West Brom have the best midfield in the league on paper and return most of a defence that only allowed 45 goals last season but haven’t replaced Sam Johnstone or added anyone up front, so I’m expecting a lot of really boring draws and embarrassing losses despite bossing possession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Well, at least John Swift looks a good player

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Surely Brereton-Diaz won’t replicate last season’s form I said before the start of this game haha

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Surely Steve Bruce won’t make only 3 subs yet again, especially considering the heat, I said before this game haha

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

:siren: a 4th Albion sub has hit ewood park, also still finding it incredible that Taylor Gardner-Hickman hasn’t played in the league yet after last season.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Steve Bruce in his post match interview today admitted that Albion had to let Alex Mowatt go on loan in order to free up funds to sign a striker. I’m not a fan of Lai (our owner) and generally I’ve defended him against the Facebook contingent because while he hasn’t put money in to the club, he also hasn’t taken any money out until a ~£4m loan to one of his other companies during this preseason. He’s promised to pay that loan back during the winter break, but man I think that’s still a really bad look that points to an admittedly worrying trend financially since he’s taken over.

I’m sure West Brom have one of the highest wage bills in the championship but that kind of spending can’t continue without some kind of injection of funds, unless we somehow get promoted in the next 2 years.

Worrying stuff imo and I’m really hoping this board isn’t biting off more than they can chew. Especially considering the two people running things are Ron Gourlay and some random business associate of Lai’s.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

sassassin posted:

The Championship is an absolute mess where every club is trying to maintain a squad that costs twice their income in wages. Honestly the only way it's going to sort itself out is if >20 owners decide they're not propping up these failing businesses any more and the league starts actually living within its means. At the moment everyone's gambling on promotion or selling wonderkids to the PL every couple of seasons, and most of the time it doesn't work out so you've got all these £15m income clubs with £100m+ of long term debt (perfectly fine under FFP if you build it gradually enough, obviously) they won't pay off until some sucker buys the club and then continues the spiral.

Fans have come to think that any owner not putting £10m of their own money into the till every year is bad and killing they are club. Show some ambition, mun!

lol yeah your second paragraph is basically every other comment on West Brom related social media and is why I no longer engage with such things. Albion are more of a £50-£70m income club but I find it incredibly telling how accurate everything you’ve said compares to what’s been happening behind the scenes over the last few years. Finding some sucker to buy the club has been Lai’s read between the lines business plan since the season after he took over. I think he deeply regrets buying the club.

I do wonder what the breaking point is though. Because the owners will never band together to sort things out themselves, I’m sure they’d lose too much money doing so, especially when they’re all trying to find the next a) payday to keep things going or b) sucker, which is basically a but in a different form. I wonder how many Burys and Wigans the EFL will grind up before we get to the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

I’m thinking West Brom might actually be genuinely poo poo

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Another Watford manager bites the dust, lol

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

West Brom are very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Steve Bruce is gone. I’m sure all of West Brom’s problems will be solved now. Roy Keane is the early favourite for the job 🙃