Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

akadajet posted:

I don’t see how installing arch would help you learn about programming…. maybe linux sysadmin stuff

correct. how to teach someone to program was not the question

Stabby McDamage posted:

I can teach the algorithm and programming stuff no problem, but what resources would you give to kids to get them to actually touch computer well?

I'm talking command line, git practices, software testing, and even using shortcut keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
honestly, my real answer is: no amount of schooling or learning will get them where they need to end up.

the only real decent candidates i've interviewed that end up being good are ones who have their own curiosity into learning this poo poo. if they have their own github page with some bullshit projects (no matter how dumb) puts them so far ahead of everyone else because they took the time to actually make something useful for themselves.

i don't think this is something you can teach, everyone in this gig is in it because they enjoy some aspect of it. people who don't actually enjoy it are never going to be worth poo poo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you could make a deece lil class out of the basics of git, bash, dns, pki, sql, html & http and itd go a long way to prepare them for the debased life of a working programmer

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Asleep Style posted:

alternatively, make them read pro-git so that they understand that computers are a geographical oddity - you're a 500 page book away from learning anything

:hmmyes:

I read the first two chapters then said gently caress it, I got the gist; in a real way, that's been enough to coast for a career. I can't even imagine the power of the whole book

rotor posted:

you could make a deece lil class out of the basics of git, bash, dns, pki, sql, html & http and itd go a long way to prepare them for the debased life of a working programmer

also yes

Stabby McDamage posted:

I teach at a college, and I have the opportunity to teach a second semester programming and algorithms course as an alternative to a really weak one where the instructor believes that the command line is irrelevant, software testing is a "trade skill" beneath being taught or used, and everything happens inside an IDE or online grading environment that insulates kids from understanding their computer (think: slap code in this text box and keep hitting submit until the light turns green).

I can teach the algorithm and programming stuff no problem, but what resources would you give to kids to get them to actually touch computer well?

I'm talking command line, git practices, software testing, and even using shortcut keys (a startling number are mousing to File -> Save in their editor well into second or third year!). When I went to school, my class was a mostly self-selected weirdos who computer-touched 24/7, but the current generation buys an aluminum rectangle for a computer and never had to worry about HIMEM.SYS.

What resources and exercises helped you git gud outside the classroom?

broadly speaking "troubleshooting" since that's going to cover a whole lot

specifically, in no particular order and with no necessary relation, just things that imo round you out as a dev/generalized computer toucher:
  • how to debug running code (e.g. using the jvm debugger or devconsole in a browser to debug js, how breakpoints work, what stepping into/stepping over is, injecting values at runtime through debugging tools (when possible) and then if you wanna get real crazy: explaining stack/heap/frames/etc from there)

• what a unit test is, what an integration test is, what a mock is, and ideally the concept of not just mocking things within tests, but mocking whole services so that an application can be automatically integration-tested-against-mocks or integration-tested-against-an-environment to better prepare for higher environments

• how to walk through code, as in getting familiar with an IDE to step through function calls to follow a pathway from an app's given entrypoint (e.g. a particular REST endpoint) through actual application logic to be able to determine what an application actually does that you haven't seen before

• how to do things manually, through the command line, so that if you're relying on an IDE that you didn't fully configure yourself, for the given project, you aren't caught off-guard by something working in the IDE but not during deployment (maybe this is a local thing but every place I worked, newer devs kept forgetting that they set variables in their IDE to enable funcitonality that they didn't establish envvars for on the platform which would be immediately revealed by just running it locally outside of the IDE, treating the local machine as the platform directly rather than via the IDE)

• on that note: platform basics like what is an environment, dependencies, environment variables, how a platform is something your app relies on, how you may or may not have direct control over it, what should you consider about the environment your application needs to run, etc (since that can also go down as many rabbit holes as far as you want for stuff like file systems, machine ports, VMs, containers, etc)

• injecting values at/during runtime such as credentials from the platform (e.g. cyberark or AWS secrets or anything like that to securely inject credentials at runtime, probably better to err on the side of mercy and prepare the infrastructure for this one)

• embracing stackoverflow/googling poo poo because gently caress actively remembering stuff like everything listed above, remember enough keywords to guide your searches till stuff just gets cemented from use, since what you use day to day is going to vary hugely on where you work, but most of this stuff will let you drop into a place and get your bearings if you're handed a codebase and an environment and asked to "make it better" but also "please figure out exactly what it does, we aren't sure"

I had this on this list but meh

• practice with deploying *literally any app* to a prepared environment, just overall what it actually takes to launch an app with a legit backend and frontend; plenty of people have posted great examples, imo a really solid/fun-ish one is standing up a Websocket server that has a basic user tracking/profile system, and a chatroom client that leverages that (no need for roles, or I guess make it as simple or complex as desired) because such a project can give relatively simple examples of (with the teacher filling in as much infrastructure in advance/having students build it out as needed/desired) over an iterative approach to make it increasingly complicated:

• a client/server model through HTTP/REST endpoints, both on a basic level of HTTP as well as what REST means/why all HTTP isn't REST, and just running the backend/frontend both locally on different ports

• Data persistence layer, cause you gotta store user data (maybe it's just in-memory, maybe it's something they gotta write a terraform script to deploy)

• a more advanced client/server interaction through websockets, which imo are super cool as a learning tool because you can use it to do all kinds of neat near-real-time stuff like multiplayer gaming through a browser, and chat is pretty directly relatable while also something that can be scaled to show the difficulty in something as "simple" as adding chat to something

• Working with a Dev/local environment, and a "production" environment (not that they gotta know how to build it from scratch but should be prepared for relying on a devops team that may or may not exist, or be available/able to assist with troubleshooting your app's deployment, so have a baseline knowledge of what your app needs to function)

• Working with git + some CICD pipeline to deploy to said environments, and the myriad ways people can deploy a backend + frontend, some more monstrous than others (*cough* jsp serving a static react app *cough*)

realistically that's already too far into concrete implementation vs whatever they'd do on a given job, wouldn't want to get in the way of someone explaining they have to use POST for everything

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

rotor posted:

i'm a "working programmer" and i only know 2 things in that list :ohdear:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qsvui posted:

i'm a "working programmer" and i only know 2 things in that list :ohdear:

when i say "basics" i mean "basics"

like for pki? just know what a public and private key are, what they can secure and what they cant and how they work and where to keep them.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i don't think this is something you can teach, everyone in this gig is in it because they enjoy some aspect of it. people who don't actually enjoy it are never going to be worth poo poo.

it’s this, op. some people are just not going to make it. if they don’t know how to use a file system and they’re majoring in computer fondling, they may have chosen poorly.

for the ones who are curious and have touched a computer before teach them how to debug a program. with or without a debugger, understanding how to break down a program and figure out what part is failing is a skill most people need to learn, and is very useful, particularly to beginning programmers

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the best way to teach anyone programming (or maths) is by having them make a video game. it requires absolutely everything and is its own self-motivator, with massive scope for self expression both artistically and technically.

the best way to make a video game if you haven't done one before is take a video game that's pretty simple that you know well, and make your own version of it. the original game adds plenty of boundaries that prevent analysis paralysis but you have the opportunity to iterate on a classic and make it fresh and original, emphasise what you love and minimise what you hate, which is an important product skill regardless of industry.

step 1: bring a shortlist of games in that you think meet the criteria. (hint: tetris is not one of those games. it only looks simple. it is a trap for entry level devs.) everyone plays the games. maybe do a breakdown as a workshop of the features those games have, or do one as a worked example and homework the others.

step 2: split into an even number of groups to implement the games, in a draft. every group should have a different game. they are encouraged to rope in friends and family to help with graphics, sound and music if that isn't their speed. this should be a limited amount of time, game jam style.

step 3: review the games as a group, from both as games and a code review, as a workshop

step 4: the kicker. the groups are paired together, the highest ranked group with the lowest, and so on. each group forks their partner's game, and works to produce a more finished version. their final score is 50% the game they started, 50% the game they completed.

step 5: public exhibition night. with cocktails and little snacks and everything. set up everyone's games in cabinet-style displays. musical act. presentation of best of show. killer afterparty.

thats how you teach people computers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

absolutely do not make an actual video game with graphics your "teach kids programming" exercise.

text adventure games? absolutely. Sprite based games? With sound? No.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rotor posted:

absolutely do not make an actual video game with graphics your "teach kids programming" exercise.

pretty sure uni kids can handle pico-8 rotor

they even have a browser-based version here: https://www.pico-8-edu.com, click the bunny to get started

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

rotor posted:

I had a very memorable assignment in my low level programming course where we did exactly this in C, but only as a small project due after a couple weeks. I made space invaders and it probably made me learn something about memory

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

pretty sure uni kids can handle pico-8 rotor

they even have a browser-based version here: https://www.pico-8-edu.com, click the bunny to get started

idk man we have people saying they dont know what a file is so i'm not really sure what level we're talking about here but I remain steadfast in my assertion that pushing sprites around and playing sounds is a bridge too far for beginning programming students.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rotor posted:

idk man we have people saying they dont know what a file is so i'm not really sure what level we're talking about here but I remain steadfast in my assertion that pushing sprites around and playing sounds is a bridge too far for beginning programming students.

you click the bunny

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't agree at all with the scare quotes around trade skills with regards to software testing. in that it is obviously a trade skill, absolutely best learned by working with it over a year or two and getting a sense for how to do it well. same goes for a lot of other stuff floating around here, trying to make it something you can make students read a few book chapters on, spend on the far outside 2 weeks doing practical poking at things (at the same time they read the book, starting knowing nothing), and then somehow take a test on, is not going to really get the job done.

which is not to say it is a bad thing to learn, as trade skills are obviously not bad, but it is not a good format for learning this kind of thing. the limitations means that you have to pick one way to do it (likely give them a largeish codebase and specific testing setup, fixing all technologies), teach that, but then their shallow understanding of that one thing will be very little help when they invariably wind up touching computers somewhere using an entirely different setup.

git is relatively safe as it is prevalent and influential enough to show up everywhere, but for the rest i think it is real hard.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

make them build something in groups, then shuffle the groups around and get them to add a new feature

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

distortion park posted:

make them build something in groups, then shuffle the groups around and get them to add a new feature

i doubt there'll be enough time to make something sufficiently complex that they'll learn anything *general* from that though, plus it seems real hard to set any kind of examination for.

(to be clear these posts are not meant to be criticism of the learning outcomes intended, but unless the course looks very different to what i am used to it simply isn't a very good vehicle for learning this kind of thing. to the extent companies expect new grads to deal with their test sets and doing revisions to their legacy codebases they probably should press for candidates with some kind of more trade-focused education, or experience)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

distortion park posted:

reminds me of something someone told me they do at a french private cs school (42): they give them a project to do and do things like changing requirements overnight on purpose to try and make it as "real" as possible

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I think we can all agree that you git gud by endlessly drilling the arbitrary “logic” puzzles tech firms ask about in interviews

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

you click the bunny

click bunny, receive diploma

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Zlodo posted:

they give them a project to do and do things like changing requirements overnight on purpose to try and make it as "real" as possible

do it mid-day by email, then have them revert it in the evening. really go for the "exec got bored after lunch" experience

maybe include a new feature that makes no sense, tied to whatever google announced that morning

please do not do any of these things to anyone

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I think we can all agree that you git gud by endlessly drilling the arbitrary “logic” puzzles tech firms ask about in interviews

I love the idea of getting your first job because your college credentials look good and you interview well, and then you start working and have no idea what a class is or how version control works because tech interviews are a sham

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Version control, version control, version control. And not just the simple basics, give them weird situations where they have to actually resolve merge conflicts and cherry pick and the like. Much better to learn that in a learning environment than when prod accidentally gets a 6 month out of date commit on it somehow. And basic working knowledge of the command line, doesn't have to be super in depth but you'd be surprised how many people I work with that get deer in headlights if you ask them to just run a powershell script from the command line. Package manager knowledge is probably also good to know but might not be covered much by your standard Java based curriculum.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

please somebody teach them how to write code that deploys cleanly without me having to chase down a bunch of dependencies they didn't know they were relying on

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Version control, version control, version control. And not just the simple basics, give them weird situations where they have to actually resolve merge conflicts and cherry pick and the like. Much better to learn that in a learning environment than when prod accidentally gets a 6 month out of date commit on it somehow. And basic working knowledge of the command line, doesn't have to be super in depth but you'd be surprised how many people I work with that get deer in headlights if you ask them to just run a powershell script from the command line. Package manager knowledge is probably also good to know but might not be covered much by your standard Java based curriculum.

"package manager knowledge"? like, is there a single bit of information in that which generalizes beyond the particular package manager the course picks?

like, list a couple useful concepts or ideas which all package managers have in common. whatever particular thing they look at is as likely as not out of date by the time they're in a job.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

• what can go in the break room microwave
  • what cannot go in the break room microwave
  • what to do when you drink the last of the coffee
  • whether its ok to just leave a 1/4 cup of coffee in the pot and walk away

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

yeah, see, now these are robust generalizable skills

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

"package manager knowledge"? like, is there a single bit of information in that which generalizes beyond the particular package manager the course picks?

like, list a couple useful concepts or ideas which all package managers have in common. whatever particular thing they look at is as likely as not out of date by the time they're in a job.

Yeah pretty much that, you'd be surprised what people never pick up in school. That and the general idea behind inspecting your dependency chain and versioning and such, why you would want to freeze your dependencies in production and the like.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Yeah pretty much that, you'd be surprised what people never pick up in school. That and the general idea behind inspecting your dependency chain and versioning and such, why you would want to freeze your dependencies in production and the like.

pretty much what? lets say we spend 4 lectures and one lab (say 12 hours of work) on learning the cabal+hackage, what would you put as the learning outcome potentially useful for a job at your place? how do you set an exam for those outcomes?

haskell here as a standin obviously, but whatever they learn will obviously be the wrong thing for 90% of jobs (and in 10 years probably for 99% of jobs), so there has to be *some* general idea or concept to it.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

pretty much what? lets say we spend 4 lectures and one lab (say 12 hours of work) on learning the cabal+hackage, what would you put as the learning outcome potentially useful for a job at your place? how do you set an exam for those outcomes?

haskell here as a standin obviously, but whatever they learn will obviously be the wrong thing for 90% of jobs (and in 10 years probably for 99% of jobs), so there has to be *some* general idea or concept to it.

Oh sorry, I completely misread your post. I guess I mean like, how to judge if a package is trustworthy based on usage, best practices for analyzing whether it's worthwhile to bring in a package, checking to see whether it's actively maintained, critical thinking around using your package manager. Can you tell I have to work with npm a lot?

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

whatever particular thing they look at is as likely as not out of date by the time they're in a job.

This applies to almost everything beyond basic computer architecture concepts and I definitely agree that any approach should de-emphasize learning a specific package manager, language, etc.

In my very first programming course, we were tested on memorizing the java swing library. Pencil on paper, and if you don't remember the method names or how the gently caress "glue" works it's points off. "Best public computer science program in the country" btw

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'll also note that while i sound defensive here i am (by extreme coincidence) supposed to design a new second-year cs course to replace a garbage app programming project course (which is going away precisely because too much student time gets spent dealing with always irrelevant technology). the plan is something in algorithmics and problem solving, partly indeed doing leetcode style problem solving with lectures related to the techniques and algorithms involved, but that's only like half the course, second half tbd.

however, in addition to not wanting to spend significant time on any particular technology it is also real dubious to spend time on best practices outside what software engineering as a research discipline can cover. and the reason is not really "this is a university course so everything has to be research-focused and pure, trade skills are beneath us", but rather because "this is a university course so it will be taught by professors otherwise doing research, who cannot be trusted to state best practices with any authority".

and, i mean, that part is not going to change. a university is a place of learning based on the lecturing of research professionals, not industry professionals. and while that's often not a good thing, you're unlikely to improve anything by pretending different.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Too much to respond to individually, but I'm taking notes throughout.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

:hmmyes:

I read the first two chapters then said gently caress it, I got the gist; in a real way, that's been enough to coast for a career. I can't even imagine the power of the whole book

also yes

broadly speaking "troubleshooting" since that's going to cover a whole lot

specifically, in no particular order and with no necessary relation, just things that imo round you out as a dev/generalized computer toucher:
(REALLY EXCELLENT LIST OMITTED)

This is a really excellent list. Thanks.

chaosbreather posted:

the best way to teach anyone programming (or maths) is by having them make a video game. it requires absolutely everything and is its own self-motivator, with massive scope for self expression both artistically and technically.

the best way to make a video game if you haven't done one before is take a video game that's pretty simple that you know well, and make your own version of it. the original game adds plenty of boundaries that prevent analysis paralysis but you have the opportunity to iterate on a classic and make it fresh and original, emphasise what you love and minimise what you hate, which is an important product skill regardless of industry.

step 1: bring a shortlist of games in that you think meet the criteria. (hint: tetris is not one of those games. it only looks simple. it is a trap for entry level devs.) everyone plays the games. maybe do a breakdown as a workshop of the features those games have, or do one as a worked example and homework the others.

step 2: split into an even number of groups to implement the games, in a draft. every group should have a different game. they are encouraged to rope in friends and family to help with graphics, sound and music if that isn't their speed. this should be a limited amount of time, game jam style.

step 3: review the games as a group, from both as games and a code review, as a workshop

step 4: the kicker. the groups are paired together, the highest ranked group with the lowest, and so on. each group forks their partner's game, and works to produce a more finished version. their final score is 50% the game they started, 50% the game they completed.

step 5: public exhibition night. with cocktails and little snacks and everything. set up everyone's games in cabinet-style displays. musical act. presentation of best of show. killer afterparty.

thats how you teach people computers

This sounds cool, but have you actually done it? It sounds likely to have a high fatality rate, but be very educational for the survivors. In any case, not a match for what may be their first programming course ever (if they did CS AP).

i don't agree at all with the scare quotes around trade skills with regards to software testing. in that it is obviously a trade skill, absolutely best learned by working with it over a year or two and getting a sense for how to do it well. same goes for a lot of other stuff floating around here, trying to make it something you can make students read a few book chapters on, spend on the far outside 2 weeks doing practical poking at things (at the same time they read the book, starting knowing nothing), and then somehow take a test on, is not going to really get the job done.

which is not to say it is a bad thing to learn, as trade skills are obviously not bad, but it is not a good format for learning this kind of thing. the limitations means that you have to pick one way to do it (likely give them a largeish codebase and specific testing setup, fixing all technologies), teach that, but then their shallow understanding of that one thing will be very little help when they invariably wind up touching computers somewhere using an entirely different setup.

git is relatively safe as it is prevalent and influential enough to show up everywhere, but for the rest i think it is real hard.

I get what you're saying. I don't expect to create deep proficiency in this one course, but exposure will at least let them know it's a thing they could learn more about.

I partway agree with the assessment earlier -- that self motivation is the biggest key. That said, I've seen a lot of sharp, self-motivated students with blind spots that you guys would consider crazy. Things like "how are memory and storage different?", "you can install your own OS?", "you can upgrade/replace hardware in a computer?", "you can use any editor you want?", "I never thought about automating this incredibly automatable task", etc. The later courses cover the theory well, but a gap has opened up between what was assumed knowledge 20 years ago and now, and that's what I'm trying to fill. These are motivated kids, but if you grew up with no computer people in your life and you just follow what the Microsoft/Apple/Google mindset of being a consumer of the computer rather than the owner, then you're going to miss some basics.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

bagel crimes and how to avoid them

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we did this thing during my degree called the ‘personal software process’ which did a pretty good job of breaking the mindset of hack/run hack/run. we did a bunch of stuff recording how long it took, then we forced ourselves to take a minute or so to review what we’d just written instead of immediately trying to run or compile it. it was quite striking how much more productive it was to do that rather than just hack away at poo poo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

also i think web programming is a better way to get to actually making poo poo if you focus on just demonstrating how a server listens on a port, interprets a request, and sends a response. there’s a lot of useful concepts baked into that and the students don’t need to fart around too much on tedious finicky poo poo if you just build a simple API or whatever rather than an actual web app

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I wouldn;t show them your posts, op

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

bagel crimes and how to avoid them

how to get the everything bagel with the good cream cheese without arriving first in the office

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

rotor posted:

You can probably incorporate into some kind of small project. If this is an upperclassman course they can probably put it on their resume. Don't know how impressive this is on a resume but it will probably give them some direction for what things will be like at work.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
buy each of them a sa account and have them post here

only the strongest will survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thought about it a bit and actually testing is probably the easiest useful thing to add to an algorithmics course. learning outcomes derived from the reasonably well-defined concepts of unit tests, functional tests, fuzzing, and coverage. no need to dictate a technology, even if they ad-hoc it those concepts are relevant to the context and fairly well-defined.

meanwhile ive found more and more problems with messing with git.