Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Version control, version control, version control. And not just the simple basics, give them weird situations where they have to actually resolve merge conflicts and cherry pick and the like. Much better to learn that in a learning environment than when prod accidentally gets a 6 month out of date commit on it somehow. And basic working knowledge of the command line, doesn't have to be super in depth but you'd be surprised how many people I work with that get deer in headlights if you ask them to just run a powershell script from the command line. Package manager knowledge is probably also good to know but might not be covered much by your standard Java based curriculum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

"package manager knowledge"? like, is there a single bit of information in that which generalizes beyond the particular package manager the course picks?

like, list a couple useful concepts or ideas which all package managers have in common. whatever particular thing they look at is as likely as not out of date by the time they're in a job.

Yeah pretty much that, you'd be surprised what people never pick up in school. That and the general idea behind inspecting your dependency chain and versioning and such, why you would want to freeze your dependencies in production and the like.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

pretty much what? lets say we spend 4 lectures and one lab (say 12 hours of work) on learning the cabal+hackage, what would you put as the learning outcome potentially useful for a job at your place? how do you set an exam for those outcomes?

haskell here as a standin obviously, but whatever they learn will obviously be the wrong thing for 90% of jobs (and in 10 years probably for 99% of jobs), so there has to be *some* general idea or concept to it.

Oh sorry, I completely misread your post. I guess I mean like, how to judge if a package is trustworthy based on usage, best practices for analyzing whether it's worthwhile to bring in a package, checking to see whether it's actively maintained, critical thinking around using your package manager. Can you tell I have to work with npm a lot?