Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Fable is a PC point-and-click adventure game that was developed by Simbiosis Interactive and released in 1996. It is also the name of an RPG series that began in 2004 but none of those games are related to this one. We play as Quickthorpe and we have been given a quest to destroy four gems that are guarded by four beasts in four separate lands, nothing too strenuous then. This is a standard point-and-click adventure game for the most part. I've been told that it is possible to soft lock the game and there are also numerous ways to die, a death reel has become somewhat of a tradition.

LP details

This is another game from my youth that was on my wishlist for as long as I could remember but I was unable to attain a copy until recently, so this will be the first time that I will be playing through this game. This is going to be a VLP and I will be recording commentary during the recording which is all ad-libbed, unfortunately. It won't be a blind playthrough as such as I will be using a guide and I will do a test run before recording each video so it makes the actual process easier as it cuts down on pointless clicking and helps with the pacing of the gameplay.

Let's Play: Fable

(There's a slight cut at the start and the end of the introduction. I had to record it in MS-DOS as the audio in the Windows version kept skipping.)

Bonus Videos

Alternate North American Ending
Death Reel

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Maybe it's becsuse of the codec being used, but the intro is very hard to hear when the narrator decides to speak softly. I'm surprised that subtitles weren't supplied.

Having both an ms-dos and windows version seems rare, unless the latter was part of a re-release. Was it Win95 or Win 3.1? And did you need to tweak the config.sys or autoexec.bat files?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

sb hermit posted:

Maybe it's becsuse of the codec being used, but the intro is very hard to hear when the narrator decides to speak softly. I'm surprised that subtitles weren't supplied.

Having both an ms-dos and windows version seems rare, unless the latter was part of a re-release. Was it Win95 or Win 3.1? And did you need to tweak the config.sys or autoexec.bat files?

I looked into it further and the game was released to play on either MS-DOS or Windows 95 like most other games from that time. The main difference with playing it on Windows 95 is that it uses DirectX and everything runs a lot smoother.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Just in case anyone is wondering why they didn't go for the obvious joke with Welda's cats - they did. You need to use an inventory item on them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What obvious joke?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:cripes: even Kingdom O' Magic was better than this.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

:cripes: even Kingdom O' Magic was better than this.

Now that you've said this I can't recall the game using any innuendo.

I seem to be using version v1.00E of Fable, I have no idea if that's just a universal version or if the E stands for the European release. If I do have a copy of the European version it means that we are in for the worse of the two endings. If I can find a way to open .imx files then I could know for sure.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm doing a test run for the next update and I think that I've hit a very confusing block within the first few minutes. I have to give an item to a man to proceed, I have said item and he's not accepting it so therefore I cannot proceed.

Edit: No, it's just me not reading the manual. When you "take" an item from your inventory you can change the "use" command to "give".

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 29, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Quickthorpe begins exploring the map's eastern side and meets some new and interesting people. But only a couple of these people don't seem to be actively trying to kill or be a dick to him, or both, as far as I know. There is one area where I examined things in an order that I didn't intend to so I missed out on some minor dialogue: If you examine the crow you get a small description. If you try to talk to it doesn't talk back, you just get told that it doesn't talk. I may start recording some more content for a potential video of missed dialogue.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I still don't get how examining the boat is the trigger to "fix" it and release the spirit.

Maybe there was supposed to be some other, more complex, mechanism for doing so but the devs ran out of time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

No, "Examine" is a solution to a lot of puzzles. Usually, Quickthorpe is cleaning something that's covered in something else, like snow or dirt. He probably moved something in the ship that released the spirit. It's clearly by design.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

That kinda makes sense when explained in that way. Adventure game logic at its most logical, I guess.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Honestly, I find most of the backstory in this game pretty fascinating. It's just almost all in easily missed scenes or dialogue, and the stuff you can't miss is not quite done with suggesting that people jump naked into lakes. And some of the puzzles are still difficult when you know how important Examine is. I'm going to disagree with RBD as to which ending is better, but I think I just have a very different perspective on the game, having played it a few times myself. We'll discuss that when we get to it, I'm sure.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I shouldn't really be commenting on the endings as I haven't seen them in context yet.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm conducting a test run for the next update and encountered a glitch, Quickthorpe decided that he was going to go back to his home planet. I was only quick enough to capture a screenshot as he decided to walk into the sky at three times his normal size.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

This secret third ending is even better than either of the other two.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm calling it, this will be more satisfying than the actual ending.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Oh man, I've always meant to play this. May as well watch this LP instead

My sole experience with the game is the really old but still kind of funny gag recut.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 1, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I haven't been able to recreate it, unfortunately. I've recorded another video which ends as the chapter ends. It's only going to be a fifteen minute video as I wanted to start the new chapter with a new video. It took me over an hour to record though as I was having issues with the UI and getting Quickthorpe killed a couple of times by accident.

It turns out that he will examine 9 out of 10 objects from a safe distance, but examining that tenth object makes him walk to his death.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of the first chapter. Quickthorpe finishes up his business in The Frozen Lands and prepares himself to face the Ice Giant.

It's a fairly short video as I wanted to start the next video in the new land. This took over an hour to record which was all down to human error and now I'm playing back this video I've noticed that my mic was having some issues during this recording. A lot of the re-recordings were down to making too many misclicks as the UI is not the most intuitive and parts of it are against my natural instincts with these games. I also had an accidental death late into a recording which I explain in this video.

The glitchy mic is bothering me somewhat and it's too late to re-record again tonight.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

That's, uh, mighty nice of quickthorpe to not pluck a coin or two from the stash. Although I guess the friendly bird could just refuse transport if he took on unnecessary weight.

Also, I have no idea how he could be traipsing around the frozen lands without a cloak or a nice hat. With his next location being a desert (or so it seems), he looks better dressed for the occasion.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Quickthorpe does this out of love for the game, so leaving unneeded treasure and respecting the content (not going around the laser puzzle) comes natural.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Or he's some kind of idiot savant and just doesn't 'get' money. Or being the moron who gets sent to suicidal missions.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

sb hermit posted:

Also, I have no idea how he could be traipsing around the frozen lands without a cloak or a nice hat. With his next location being a desert (or so it seems), he looks better dressed for the occasion.

It's an odd outfit. When he first showed up shown only in side view, I thought he was wearing an off-the-shoulder ruffled crop top with matching skirt.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to The Land Of Mists! This chapter is shorter compared to the first one and I've decided to divide it into two parts. I'm not sure why this game gets so much dislike as the first two chapters have been quite delightful, although there are still two more chapters to go so there is still plenty of time for things to take a nose dive. The only real issue I'm having now is the inventory system as there are a lot of useless objects cluttering it.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 4, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think Jemima isn't necessarily protecting anything. I think she's just the obligatory brigand in the area and her day job is to kill unwary adventurers with her fancy drum.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

I think Jemima isn't necessarily protecting anything. I think she's just the obligatory brigand in the area and her day job is to kill unwary adventurers with her fancy drum.

She's only making people fall asleep with her hypno drum, but she still looks like she's having fun doing it. To be honest, who wouldn't want to have fun if they owned a hypno drum?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the other half of the second chapter, our time in the Land Of The Mists is now over. I have started to record the death reel but I'm not too far in with replaying the game just yet. There doesn't seem to be enough content to make a dedicated additional footage video, it seems like we've only missed a few lines of dialogue.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This video is the other half of the second chapter, our time in the Land Of The Mists is now over. I have started to record the death reel but I'm not too far in with replaying the game just yet. There doesn't seem to be enough content to make a dedicated additional footage video, it seems like we've only missed a few lines of dialogue.

I had thought it would be a much more involved process to kill the snake demon but it turns out that a lot of the game solutions don't require the kind of backtracking and questing that is normally needed in, say, a Sierra game.

Also, is the route to the Emerald Forest a path back to the first world or is it an entirely new world?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

I had thought it would be a much more involved process to kill the snake demon but it turns out that a lot of the game solutions don't require the kind of backtracking and questing that is normally needed in, say, a Sierra game.

Also, is the route to the Emerald Forest a path back to the first world or is it an entirely new world?

I'm not even sure if there is even a way to return to a previous area, it seems like each area is self-contained which makes life a lot easier. The only issue is the inventory but I've mentioned that before.

I was thinking about this earlier and I'm glad that you brought it up as I didn't even try to see what would happen if I chose that option. I'll give it a try in a short while.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I went back in and asked about the Enchanted Forest. I've also thought that there is a possibility that each area may be self-contained but it still may be possible that we need items from these regions for later areas, something that has been notorious in many an adventure game before now. Anyway, this is the response that we get:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm not even sure if there is even a way to return to a previous area, it seems like each area is self-contained which makes life a lot easier. The only issue is the inventory but I've mentioned that before.

I was thinking about this earlier and I'm glad that you brought it up as I didn't even try to see what would happen if I chose that option. I'll give it a try in a short while.

We never get anything from the red gargoyle after it's freed, so either there's a mechanism to visit past areas (which is unlikely) or there's ways of getting the game into an unwinnable state.

Of course, the last possibility is that there is actually no need to free the red gargoyle.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

We never get anything from the red gargoyle after it's freed, so either there's a mechanism to visit past areas (which is unlikely) or there's ways of getting the game into an unwinnable state.

Of course, the last possibility is that there is actually no need to free the red gargoyle.

We had to free the red gargoyle because it was stopping us from entering the ship.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

We had to free the red gargoyle because it was stopping us from entering the ship.

:doh: Sorry. I thought the gargoyle was preventing us from entering the Lizard Demon's lair.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
What a fascinatingly weird game. There's lots of foreshadowing about other things going on, and when it's combined with the slang and language occasionally used makes me interested with where it will end up.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

life_source posted:

What a fascinatingly weird game. There's lots of foreshadowing about other things going on, and when it's combined with the slang and language occasionally used makes me interested with where it will end up.

Fascinatingly weird is a good way to describe this game!

I started off by saying that the original ending to this game was the worse of the two but haven't seen them in context. After satisfying more curiosity without ruining too much I think that I stand corrected.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 8, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Quickthorpe explores The Engulfed Fortress and deals with Vivern The Gorgon. Along the way, he also meets some friendly characters and visits some vibrant places. This video is the third chapter in its entirety. I haven't playtested the fourth chapter yet so I don't know whether we have one or two videos left until the end of the LP. I need to start working on the death reel as I only have a couple, the save file that I was using for it became corrupted but thankfully I wasn't too far into replaying the game.

I decided to watch the endings with context and I was wrong in my initial assumptions, the original ending is a lot better than the alternate one that they replaced it with.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Maze screens, they sucked at text adventures and they kept on sucking at graphical adventures.
I hope Ishmael gets a painful death for hiding in a maze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vivern: "We just wanted our freedom but we were betrayed."
Quickthorpe: "You make me sick and I want nothing more than to kill you."

Why is this guy the hero again?