Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vivern: "We just wanted our freedom but we were betrayed."
Quickthorpe: "You make me sick and I want nothing more than to kill you."

Why is this guy the hero again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The original ending is weirdly high effort for such a left field "gently caress you" to the player. Quickthorpe presses the button, inherits cosmic power and then... ends up in a prison cell with only a diet of maggots while the narrator mocks him? The NA ending seems low effort in comparison but at least it seems to follow from the events that came before it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

By popular demand posted:

Hmm I do remember reading in a gaming magazine that the original ending rightly pissed people off so the devs rushed to make a different one and this short no voice acting thing seems to confirm it.

The article made the original ending sound as if Quickthorp was hallucinating the entire game and in the end sobering up.

There is definitely something going on with his eyes at the end. I suppose if there plan was for there to be a sequel that picked up from the original ending with Quickthorpe having been gaslighted into thinking he was always a psycho rather than a hero so he doesn't use the powers he got from the machine then their choice makes some sense, but the writers haven't earned the kind of respect from their players that that would require. Maybe if they'd shown the NA ending (with a little more effort) and then had the original ending as a kind of secret bonus ending that you got for completing an optional objective to tease a sequel it would have gone over better, but I dunno.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The ending feels much more like a special game over. If you told me that they had a team working on cinematics while the rest of the team was working on the game, and then they suddenly had to be done and A) hadn't put in the conditions for the special game over and B) hadn't made any other cinematics but the game over, and just slapped the game over onto the end, I'd believe you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Okay, going back to the first episode, they do say in the introduction that this whole story is in the head of a very sick man. "It's a fable, in a way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

sb hermit posted:

ok, sure. but it's ridiculous if that was literally the only hint.

I feel it's said breathlessly quick, in a "don't even worry about that" kind of way, only to then become the entirety of the ending.

Like, we know we are playing a story. It's a video game. But we still want a resolution to the things in the story instead of someone snapping the book shut and chunking it at us.