Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Maybe it's becsuse of the codec being used, but the intro is very hard to hear when the narrator decides to speak softly. I'm surprised that subtitles weren't supplied.

Having both an ms-dos and windows version seems rare, unless the latter was part of a re-release. Was it Win95 or Win 3.1? And did you need to tweak the config.sys or autoexec.bat files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I still don't get how examining the boat is the trigger to "fix" it and release the spirit.

Maybe there was supposed to be some other, more complex, mechanism for doing so but the devs ran out of time.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

That kinda makes sense when explained in that way. Adventure game logic at its most logical, I guess.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

That's, uh, mighty nice of quickthorpe to not pluck a coin or two from the stash. Although I guess the friendly bird could just refuse transport if he took on unnecessary weight.

Also, I have no idea how he could be traipsing around the frozen lands without a cloak or a nice hat. With his next location being a desert (or so it seems), he looks better dressed for the occasion.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think Jemima isn't necessarily protecting anything. I think she's just the obligatory brigand in the area and her day job is to kill unwary adventurers with her fancy drum.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This video is the other half of the second chapter, our time in the Land Of The Mists is now over. I have started to record the death reel but I'm not too far in with replaying the game just yet. There doesn't seem to be enough content to make a dedicated additional footage video, it seems like we've only missed a few lines of dialogue.

I had thought it would be a much more involved process to kill the snake demon but it turns out that a lot of the game solutions don't require the kind of backtracking and questing that is normally needed in, say, a Sierra game.

Also, is the route to the Emerald Forest a path back to the first world or is it an entirely new world?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm not even sure if there is even a way to return to a previous area, it seems like each area is self-contained which makes life a lot easier. The only issue is the inventory but I've mentioned that before.

I was thinking about this earlier and I'm glad that you brought it up as I didn't even try to see what would happen if I chose that option. I'll give it a try in a short while.

We never get anything from the red gargoyle after it's freed, so either there's a mechanism to visit past areas (which is unlikely) or there's ways of getting the game into an unwinnable state.

Of course, the last possibility is that there is actually no need to free the red gargoyle.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

We had to free the red gargoyle because it was stopping us from entering the ship.

:doh: Sorry. I thought the gargoyle was preventing us from entering the Lizard Demon's lair.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I got the joke about holding your breath for 10 minutes.

I'm not sure what the hairpin in the pillow represents exactly, but either it could be a discreet lover or the captain puts his hair up when indoors or cleaning himself. So I guess it would be embarrassing if he couldn't manage his hair without it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would have been much MUCH more receptive to the original ending if there was more foreshadowing of it in the game.

As it is, I agree that it's completely out of left field and the NA ending seems like the most anyone could do while spending the least amount of money on new animation and writing.

In fact, if I were the publisher and I was given the original game, I would have taken the source code and written the NA ending at a budget that would keep the bean counters happy becsuse they would save money on returns AND not having to hire extra security to manage irate customers.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ok, sure. but it's ridiculous if that was literally the only hint.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

I feel it's said breathlessly quick, in a "don't even worry about that" kind of way, only to then become the entirety of the ending.

Like, we know we are playing a story. It's a video game. But we still want a resolution to the things in the story instead of someone snapping the book shut and chunking it at us.

I completely agree.

I feel that if it wasn't for the intro and ending (and, of course, the terrible action system), it may have been a relatively servicable adventure game. But the way those parts were written were designed to make someone want to throw the computer against a wall.

Of course 90s minitowers were at least 20-30 pounds so you may end up with more than just a dent in the drywall or wood paneling. The alternative would be to chuck an 80 pound CRT which people could barely lift, much less throw.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bonus Videos

Death Reel

I'd like to think that I've been thorough with this as these are all the encounters with death that I could find in the game.

This video will be the last update of this LP. Thank you, everyone, for being part of this in any capacity. I really enjoyed Fable, but this is from the perspective of someone who went into this using a guide and with helpful discussion in the thread. If I went into this completely blind I'm sure that my opinion of the game would be very different.

I'm planning to LP The Space Bar next and it's a game that I've been wanting to do for a very long time, it's just that I've never been sure if I could actually do it. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure now but I want to attempt it.

I like how all the bystanders to the various deaths (like the shark death or the river death) don't react when someone perishes right in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you very much for this LP! It's an interesting adventure game with some real effort and world building, but it could have used a little bit more polish.

If I had paid $60 in 1996 dollars for this game, I would probably not be happy. But your LP has made the experience quite entertaining.