Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm so sick of companies thinking the best way to communicate with me is to call me and just plain acting like the internet doesn't exist.

Dentist you know when I text messaged you giving you a time range and days (any) that you could schedule an appointment for me for? (pretty much early afternoon) Yeah you can probably piece together that I didn't want you to call me about that I wanted you to just loving schedule an appointment. I'm already annoyed that I can't do it online for reasons that I'm sure make some sort of sense to you. Also I totally did try calling before I texted but got a voicemail.

It took a pandemic for restaurants to offer online ordering. Which may or may not have been set up decently. Does it update for specials? (lol probably not) If you're closed that day for a holiday did you remember to disable it? Is your menu even accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is the internet

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Probably something that rots your brain.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my dentist appointments are scheduled on ethereum and they accept my NFT (nicely flossed teeth)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

my dentist appointments are scheduled on ethereum and they accept my NFT (nicely flossed teeth)

I don't like this idea. BURN THE COMPUTERS BURN THEM ALL!

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I find people are pretty loving dumb and calling them and making sure what I have to say is actually going into their thick heads is sometimes essential to getting anything done.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
FYI, keeping an online presence is like a full time gig.

When I was running two small businesses, it was pretty loving hard to deal with also keeping our websites up to date and dont get me started on managing social media bullshit.

We were always busy with customers that it was mostly unnecessary.

It really depends on the business. But maybe they just don't need or want an online presence.

Also, CALL someone before you loving send an unsolicited text message. That seems like proper etiquette to me. If I get a text from a stranger instead of a call, I will ignore it.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 28, 2022

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Slayerjerman posted:

FYI, keeping an online presence is like a full time gig.

When I was running two small businesses, it was pretty loving hard to deal with also keeping our websites up to date and dont get me started on managing social media bullshit.

We were always busy with customers that it was mostly unnecessary.

It really depends on the business. But maybe they just don't need or want an online presence.

Also, CALL someone before you loving send an unsolicited text message. That seems like proper etiquette to me. If I get a text from a stranger instead of a call, I will ignore it.

gently caress that, I don't answer any calls from unknown numbers because they're usually spam. Also I think unsolicited calls are far more rude than texts since the text can be answered whenever, but a call interrupts whatever the person is in the middle of.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah call me and die

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i prefer to talk to a human being on the telephone, thereby assuring that I have reached a human being with my desired outcomes, and providing a point of contact for when they inevitably gently caress it up and i need to get in touch again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What is this "internet" you speak of?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Internet loving sucks I'd rather offer my business to a place that still thinks it's 1869

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

booking dental appointments by horseback messenger

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What is this "internet" you speak of?

I think it's a gastropod. Proly those glowing ones at the bottom of the sea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
whenever i get a call from an unknown number i answer it and say "thank you for calling Dealer Services" so they think i'm a scam artist, and they always hang up and never call back

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

jimmyjams posted:

what is the internet

boobs

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we all wish it didn’t

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The internet makes you stupid

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Most bosses are of the boomer generation now, which is why modern jobs suck so much.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm on tha internet.... posting....

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I have people book consultations on the calendly acct that my boss makes me put out there. People will just not show up or show up whenever they want

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slayerjerman posted:

Also, CALL someone before you loving send an unsolicited text message. That seems like proper etiquette to me

Are you 200 years old?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
dentists are just a scam OP like chiropractors

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Nooner posted:

dentists are just a scam OP like chiropractors

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

a dentist appointment costs $5 in most other non-western parts of the world

in the west its like $900

pure scam artistry

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
My local gp's internet "portal" (ffs) looks like it was made in geocities, but drat its way better than dealing with ppl if i'm not in the mood.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the internet friggin blows, OP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol nice fukcing find

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

Are you 200 years old?

Yes drat it, respect your elders and also stay off my lawn!

Also, I've lately discovered some states consider texting messages a binding contract in some circumstances. Again, as a business owner, you've got to be extremely careful what you write in texts and/or email.

Verbally discussing something via a voice call is more ambiguous for both parties involved and much harder to prove in court should some bullshit go down.

I recall when Facetime was new I'd get dozens of facetime requests daily, yeah no thanks, I don't agree to video conferencing unless it's scheduled so I can be sure I've at least got pants on.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I love internet loving, it's way better than phone sex. I agree companies should switch to that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mooey Cow posted:

I love internet loving, it's way better than phone sex. I agree companies should switch to that.

here is a guide from 1996 to help you make the switch
https://archive.org/details/howtohavecybersexontheinternet1996 (nsfw)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I don't even own an Internet

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
cybersex is like a series of tubes

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol being afraid of phone calls

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
PICK UP THE loving PHONE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
HAM ON THE BAUD

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Send a letter, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
OP I can probably shed some light on this. It's not exactly your problem in this instance but it goes with the general gestalt of why it's so hard right now to use modern communication tools to interact with companies and corporations. I help edit papers for a professor that publishes in English, her second language, and has an editor (me) to help make the writing sound more natural. She does research primarily in the hospitality industry but customer service is a frequent topic. To give a very brief summary, bad customer service was found to be more profitable. The reason you often just can't email your complaint, wait a day or two for them to look into it and get back to you with a response addressing it is because making this process easier results in more returns/refunds/comps/etc, whereas having those stupid instant message chats or phone trees to try to get your problem resolved often ends in people doing mental math, deciding the effort/time isn't worth it, and giving up. There are entire fields devoted to looking into stuff like this and the results concerning (at least short term) profit are fairly conclusive. The point of a system is what it does. This is true for p much everything, whenever you find yourself wondering why a business/gov/whatever is doing something so obviously wrong for the clients/customers/constituents/whatever it's almost certainly because it makes them more money than doing it right.